All about Starting Your Own Label & Becoming a Fashion Designer... (SEE POST #1 FOR RELATED THREADS)

Hello, I reside in Miami. I am looking to get my own (repeated) print printed. Does anyone know of how/ where I go about this? My company is very new so it wouldn't be huge amounts of fabric. Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated.

Also, what are the rules of prints? I see many designer fabrics out there for use. Does this mean I can make 10 dresses out of pucci fabric and sell it??
When it comes to prints I am very hazy.

hi and welcome to tFS Donna

whatever is out in the market you can buy and create whatever you like
eg.Etro sells both print fabrics and finished items, if you create a dress with an Etro print fabric, it doesnt make it a by-Etro print dress

the absolute minimum for printing your own design (all over or in a repeat panel) is 50 meters up (for sampling) but not all printing houses are able -or willing- to provinde you with such small quantity, much more if you concider these as your 'production' meters

in anycase be prepared to pay even double the 'normal' price for 50 meters, unique is very expencive, much more for a new/indie designer.

i'd suggest you try creating your own prints using alternative -handmade- printing ways or try to collaborate with fabric designer graducates who could hand print you anything (it will still cost a lot but the result can be pretty out of the ordinary)

Funding etc for new fashion lines

Hi!

Just wondered if anyone here on TFS had any experience in launching a new fashion line at all? I've got a mad cool concept for a line of clothing however I need help with this venture in terms of PR help, design work and funding.

Thanks in advance! :flower:

Hi!

Just wondered if anyone here on TFS had any experience in launching a new fashion line at all? I've got a mad cool concept for a line of clothing however I need help with this venture in terms of PR help, design work and funding.

Thanks in advance! :flower:
Begin immediately to read the Fashion Incubator website, and buy Kathleen's book.

Last edited by a moderator:
My dream is to become a handbag designer. I have books and books of sketches I have done over the years,but I live in a very small town and I have NO clue of how to get started. I am very passionate about fashion and the things I have created. What should I do?:flower:

^have you tried -making- those bags you've designed? :o

If you have a small collection you might think about something like Ebay to get you started with the general public. If you wish to grow, you'll need to have stores carry your line ... so I think the advice in posts earlier in this thread are of particular value:
Many designers don't get their careers "jump started", it takes a lot of their own cash, sleepless nights, hard work and luck. Lots of designers start out by designing a small sample collection and showing it to everyone who will listen. Get appointments with store buyers (don't approach the large stores for a few seasons or until you have your look, quality and production sorted - stick to the smaller boutiques with good reputations), send out press releases with photos attached, get a decent website done - start off with one small order at a time and build on that. If you are as good as you say, within a few seasons, you could have a press agent, a sales rep and a small business going and you'll be able to show that you're worthy of sponsorship.

Once you show your samples to a few small stores, you will have to know how to get your items produced ( fabrics bought, patterns made and graded, packeaged and sent to stores ON TIME). If you have not worked that out financially and logistically you may want to wait before approaching any stores. They worst thing you can do is be unprepared for a positive response from buyers. Its easy to get no response, but if people want to buy, then you have to get it to them or lose face with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks BetteT. How big of a collection would be apropriate to start out? How many should I make?

I can't answer that ... I have no experience in design or retail.

But, here's a thought. If you are just taking them around to small boutiques and they are willing to help you, they may ask you to let them sell them under "consignment", which means they pay you, only after they sell them ... rather than taking a chance and buying them outright. If they don't sell, you take them back. If they do sell, they pay you a pre-agreeed upon price. You need to work all that out in advance in a contract. That way you don't need a lot to get started ... they probably won't want to take a lot in the beginning anyway. But, if they get popular, you will need to be able to reproduce them rapidly. At that point, you can actually sell them to the boutiques ... but you must be sure you can deliver the number that they order ... as it says in the posts above.

I like this thread. I too am set on being a designer. I used to get pretty anxious in thinking how I'd get stores to sell/carry my stuff but I'm taking the advice of starting small.
Thanx:blush:

How can a person start his/her own business in this industry?

Hi everyone. I have been in this industry for 3 years, working as a clothing services supplier in China. What I am doing is making my customers' designs to be real products, and ship those "MADE IN CHINA" goods to their bontiques. Our company has large customers, such as ZARA, MNG, American & Tristan, and also 100PCS/order designers. I think I know all the processes in this business right now.

What I want to know is, how do the Euro or American designers start their business? How do they pormote their products? Do they all start their business from their own small bontiques?

I know there are 'fairs', for example: our company attend China east fairs, guangzhou fairs... for us exporters to meet the buyers. Are there any similar fairs for fashion designers? And do those clothing companies buy designs or products from designers? I have seen quite a lot of buyers used take photos of our samples, some asked us to produce samples for them, but at fianlly they have no reply at all, they even hasn't pay for those samples they take away. Do designers met same problems?

I also do design works in spare time, both knitts and woven. Do you guys have any suggestion if I want to try to start my own label? Or do you have a plan to start your own business? or corporate with others?

In Canada , for each province, the government provides services catering to people who want to start a business
They provide free courses, consultation, etc. to guide you through to developing your business. It's a very good start-off point :lucky:

Just do a search in the yellow pages

Ex..
http://www.smallbusinessbc.ca/

& there are different ways of approaching a business
Some people do go to trade shows/fairs to sell their designs
while others create the production themselves, even hiring their own employees
Most of the info I know about starting businesses comes from these gvnt services :smile: or from friends...

i went to the bendel's new designer open see yesterday, and they loved my designs. they told me to get them professionally sampled and manufactured and they would want to buy them. BUT....I amat a serious loss on how to go about that. I have been a designer and a buyer for big companies so I know about that angle, but am completely clueless on the production part! I even have a showroom willing to rep it. HEEELLPPP!!!

i went to the bendel's new designer open see yesterday, and they loved my designs. they told me to get them professionally sampled and manufactured and they would want to buy them. BUT....I amat a serious loss on how to go about that. I have been a designer and a buyer for big companies so I know about that angle, but am completely clueless on the production part! I even have a showroom willing to rep it. HEEELLPPP!!!

For the most part, good factories generally only work with people via connections and word of mouth. I found my factory doing an internship with a designer that set me up..and upon contacting them the first thing they asked me was who gave me their contact information.

Your best bet in finding a good factory is to talk to another designer and ask where they manufacture. This might be a good or bad thing (as they might feel threatened and not cough up any information) but I've found most designers are open to sharing resources.

For the most part, good factories generally only work with people via connections and word of mouth...Your best bet in finding a good factory is to talk to another designer and ask where they manufacture. This might be a good or bad thing (as they might feel threatened and not cough up any information) but I've found most designers are open to sharing resources.
Talking to others in the business is a good idea. There's another route beyond designers and that's pattern makers. Pattern makers have contractors they work with. If you're making your own patterns then obviously that won't work. In this case, I suppose you could go to a place where designers hang out. Most online fashion forums are for consumers.

Returning to a topic raised on the first page of this thread, to find out more about line sheets, what they are and how to make them, see these articles below. You should probably read them in order.
http://www.fashion-incubator.com/mt/archives/what_is_a_line_sheet.html
http://www.fashion-incubator.com/mt/archives/how_to_make_a_line_sheet.html
http://www.fashion-incubator.com/mt/archives/how_to_make_a_line_sheet_pt2.html
http://www.fashion-incubator.com/mt/archives/line_sheet_cover_letters.html
http://www.fashion-incubator.com/mt/archives/line_sheets_revisited.html

How much money it's to institute your own Label?

I'd like to know more about it.

Especially the costs of a new label in Europe, more especially in Paris.

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->