Any wedding gowns that are not strapless?

Discussion in 'Personal Style' started by modelofantiquity, Jun 3, 2010.

1. modelofantiquity

modelofantiquity New Member

Wondering where I might find some styles of a wedding dress that are NOT strapless. Not every figure can wear a strapless gown or a revealing one strap gown. I'd prefer a style with some form of a sleeve. Maybe it has not been in a wedding collection but with a change of fabric and color just might work well.

2. Urban Stylin

Urban Stylin ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

check most bridal sites theres plenty of those, you could also get a gown and wear it with a lace bolero coat with 3 qtr sleeves. Theres also the option of a Halter neck

diva.by
    [​IMG]

http://www.bodas-banquetes.net
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    imageshack
    [​IMG]

3. Urban Stylin

Urban Stylin ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

a few more options
    davidsbridal.com
    [​IMG]
    jormabridal.com
    [​IMG]
    oodora.com
    [​IMG]

4. dorotheas

dorotheas New Member

Not sure how accepted this is here, I'm brand new today! But have you considered vintage? I'm aware of several websites devoted completely to vintage bridal wear, from gowns to shorter/casual dresses, head pieces, etc and when hunting something with sleeves you'd likely find a range of silhouettes. 30s bias cuts, 40s sweetheart necklines with long sleeves...a lot of 50s & 60s dresses had long sleeves as well. I'm a fan of the 30s bias cut, though it takes the right figure! Let me see if I can round up a couple links and pics for you!!

5. dorotheas

dorotheas New Member

ugh, photobucket is full of fail tonight. try antiquedress.com or thefrock.com? I saw some gorgeous things there looking around!!!

6. modelofantiquity

Wow. The photos were great to show me options I had forgotten about. Thank you very much. I do appreciate the extra step to find and link the photos. This is going to be fun after all!

Think you for the links. That will help me get the brain going. It is all tied up in knots. Bridal knots that is.

Brides should have style. But the hardest to design is something for yourself.

#6 modelofantiquity, Jun 3, 2010
    Last edited by moderator Aviar: Jun 4, 2010
  7. ahomeforghosts

ahomeforghosts New Member

I'm getting married next year and I've opted out of the traditional dress...

8. modelofantiquity

Yes, thoughts are changing. Wedding wear should be a signature of you not a salute to regime. Any ideas of what elements your wedding wear must include to be a signature of you?

Please think in new terms I am moving away from wedding gown to wedding wear. What you wear shoes, hair style, accessories all help focus your signature. If we think of a wedding as a signature statement, then we must reinvent the labels too.

9. modelofantiquity

Do you have any photos of actual designer's own wedding wear they wore?

Very curious about what fashion designers wear to their own weddings. Have any such photos? Or press on these?

Trying to take the wedding wear as a signature statement. Thus the wedding wear cannot be called a 'gown' because it should not be so limited if it is an signature statement.

Strapless is not my signature. But if you looked at current bridal fashion you would see 99.9% strapless. Why is the industry so standardized?

Would appreciate your insight.

#9 modelofantiquity, Jun 4, 2010
    Last edited by moderator Aviar: Jun 4, 2010
  10. Urban Stylin

Urban Stylin ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

I guess strapless is quite flattering with the boning and the darts. Even in the occurence of a tummy, a strapless corset top is able to hide it. It also balances out the larger bottom part of the dress. People tend to freak out when it comes to weddings they believe if they try to venture out even a bit they might just look bad on their most important day thus end up looking generic.
    Just work with a good designer thats if you are not a designer urself, if ur not looking for the typical bridal gown you should avoid bridal designers who always have certain ideas of what bridal wear should be.
    Here's Marchesa designer Georgina Chapman who wore strapless and feminine which is her signature i guess.
    [​IMG]

these are from Rochas
    onsugar.com

the Grecian sleeves are nice
    [​IMG]

donna Karan

enchanteddreamweddings.com/
    [​IMG]

11. VogueElle Addict

VogueElle Addict Rhoda Addict

Am getting married in 13 days and I have chosen a halter chiffon + silk dress in avory. It's just perfect!! I wish you all could see it.

12. modelofantiquity

Absolutely think the Enchanted Dream wear is so like a goddess statue. I hadn't thought of the Grecian sleeve effect. I will play around with combining the halter, neck scarf effect and a draping of the sleeves. It will take some drawing and coordination with fabrics. Better is the the actually physical construction/draping on a mannequin. This is the part I like--creating something uniquely mine. My signature. Thank you so much for the ideas. I would have been in a black hole without you.

13. modelofantiquity

You must tell us more. Describe the dress length, draping... There many kinds of halter styles-- thin, fitted, type of gathering... Is the chiffon just with the halter ... What kind of train effect? What type of silk?

14. modelofantiquity

Thank you for the sites. They are total different sites yet have a common theme. What I found mesmerizing were the hats at the antiquedress website. It bought back so many memories of old movie stars. I don't want to have a veil. Maybe I can incorporate the neckline treatment with a gauzy hood. What do you think? More like what I do in regular life. My signature.

15. modelofantiquity

Hood instead of a veil for wedding?

Hood instead of a veil for wedding?

16. Urban Stylin

Urban Stylin ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

i would prefer a veil, though it also depend son the theme of the wedding

17. modelofantiquity

thank you for your very thoughtful reply. When I went to the cloak site, I was amazed. It was like my dream of a wedding signature was right there. You are very talented in your field. I am not yet adapt at maneuvering around tfs. Maybe you could post the contents of your message for other brides to see that the veil doesn't have to have the customary veil look. Just an idea. You helped my dream.

18. modelofantiquity

Hey, the days are counting down. Urban Stylin sent me a message with a great wedding cloak site cloaksofireland.com/bridal Gorgeous cloaks..even cashmere (for my Oct wedding) But thought since Ireland is close to you there might be time if you needed such a wedding signature as a hooded (veiled) cloak. Best wishes for your day!

19. Urban Stylin

Urban Stylin ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

ur welcome! enjoy ur wedding and be sure to post a pic!!

20. Urban Stylin

Urban Stylin ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

Am thinking a veil is better, as much as its good to be experimental its also important to keep the classics to mantain the aura of a wedding. U could try those vintagey lace veils.
    A hood or cloak might also look slightly witchy..lol
    [​IMG]

vintage veil works if ur going for a feminine/rom antic style design though
    [​IMG]

this is modern
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

also chek out this link, plenty of inspiration
    http://www.brides.com/fashion/access...tyle/bohemian/ __________________