Azzedine Alaia - The All-Things Azzedine Alaia Thread

I can see why you'd find Britney and Mariah being tasteful enough to wear Alaia a bit unusual....(but hey....would'nt it be great for them to dress nicely for a change??If the dresses looks great on them why not??MUCH BETTER than a size too small clothes Mariah likes to wear With her stomach and boobs hanging...:ninja: i cant understand why you said you were sad that they wear clothes from the fashion houses that you like, I'm sure Mr.Alaia did'nt Create his Dresses for certain women ONLY,and if he can make even the most distasteful woman look classy,that is his accomplishment as a designer!:(flower:
but i dont see why you can find Victoria wearing Alaia odd,??? I'm not a die hard Victoria fan...in fact...i'm not even her fan at all but i see her as very Stylish woman,Although sometimes she makes mistakes and too OTT in my opinion,I like some of the stuff that she wears,well that's just my opinionB)

because they usually don't look great, even when they wear great clothes.:innocent: that bothers me. if they can look great, i don't have a problem with it.

I'm heading for Paris in two weeks time...and my first stop will by Alaia's store! I'm such a die hard fan; I think he's a genius. Alaia is the only designer who can make my stick-straight frame look like a real woman's!

Recently I got a black Alaia knitted knee length skirt. Its slim fitting which fishtails at the knees. Great fit skirt. Sat nicely on the region between my waist and hips which is very rare for me with other brands. In this neck of the woods, Alaia is carried by so few stores and in such limited quantities that they never go on sale. I love skirts. Once I discovered Alaia, the fit of other skirts seem to pale in comparison. His knit tops are superb too. And cost a bomb. :lol:

^^lilykarebare....please give us a detailed update of your Alaia store experience in Paris. Appreciate it much! Le Bon Marche has Alaia too.

AZZEDINE ALAIA BLACK SUEDE SKIRT AND BRA TOP
the skirts gathered and draped; the bustier bra top of black lyrca, padded, 1980s
christies

Attachments

• d4949444x.jpg
    d4949444x.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 19
Azzedine Alaia, El Rey de las Curvas
Photography: Patrick Demarchelier
Magazine: Harper's Bazaar Mexico 2003
Model: ???

scanned by me

Azzedine Alaia, El Rey de las Curvas
Photography: Patrick Demarchelier
Magazine: Harper's Bazaar Mexico 2003
Model: ???

scanned by me
Elise Crombez...

The jacket with crocodile skin stitched on the back is brilliant! And a little perverse in its anatomical conformity :lol:

12335_Lara_Stone_iD_2007aug-05_123_.jpg

^more (same skirt)

i-D August 2007.
Closer than a shadow by Willy Vanderperre
Scanned by glosoli

ohh i love lara stone! i wish i had her body :woot:
alaïa is great but doesn't suit everybody... you definitely need to be classy (unlike mrs. beckham) and have a good body to wear his clothes.

you know i could care less about these people wearing...well..any designer for that matter. it's like mcqueen being such a trendy designer with celebs at the moment. i just think very few of them can fully appreciate or respect these designers,as such. they're just novelties for these people;to up their status quo. but not to us,i shan't think :wink: you just cannot take it seriously anymore. i've certainly learned that even with all my 'anti' angst :lol:

To be fair, although I think VB overdresses a lot of the time and can't seem to do casual (which, as a fellow Brit [who used to go to 6th form college in the town that she came from, where everybody did casual!], is a little odd, to me, I must admit), I do think that she has a real appreciation of the designers' work and devotes much of her time to thinking about what she is going to wear.

I have the feeling that even when she has fallen out of the public eye, she will still be an avid fashion-fan.

At the end of the day, why should it matter, anyway? IMO, it is the designer's job to make beautiful clothes for whomsoever chooses to wear them and if a house can be cheapened, in some people's eyes, purely by who wears it, then that really doesn't say much for the quality of design and/or the true depth of appreciation of its 'fans', does it? :huh:

From awhile back, Cathy Horyn writing about Alaia in NYT. Also, some interesting comments by readers...

30 July 2007

http://runway.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/07/30/alaia-without-prada/

blog.alezz..jpg

Azzedine Alaia fits a model in a stretch-wool dress with an open back in his Paris studio. (Jean-Luce Hure for The New York Times).

Prada announced last week that Azzedine Alaia will buy back 100 percent of his company from the Milan fashion group. Alaia will continue to work with Prada on bags and shoes. That makes sense, because Alaia has developed a very good relationship with the Prada folks in that area. I’m not inclined to read much into the announcement. Prada helped Alaia get his business on track, and that has been accomplished. He has always been independent.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^Thanks for posting that article. :flower:

Here is lovely Mrs.Beckham wearing Alaia twinset and skirt.

david2aw6.jpg

Credit:denden.

Alaia before 1990

I think it's before 1990, maybe 1987
Illustrated from photo of an editorial

copyright bi-aru

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cg1