Azzedine Alaia - The All-Things Azzedine Alaia Thread

Wow, I just went through the entire thread. I am a total fashion newbie and didn't realize how fabulous Alaia is.. I am thinking about buying one of his coats, and now understand the high price tag for this coat....

originally posted by phantasmagoric in the paris street style thread....

0709300253-20.jpg

0709300255-15.jpg

0709300254-15.jpg

0709300256-roitfeld-pose.jpg

styleandthecity

^actually, correction they are givenchy, according to pucci mama.

Direct me to nearest place that still has these available!! Thanks!

^they are spring 2008, so you can find them soon in stores. you can also find a list of givenchy boutiques on their website.

a bit confused..are these actually made of stingray or is that just the name of the style??

86698_1.jpg

browns

That shoes is Givenchy! Stephanie looks great in it on this month cover of POP.. More Alaia please!!

:heart:

Last edited by a moderator:
6 March 2008
nyt.com
Alaia: Form and Filigree

By Cathy Horyn

Before the Paris collections ended, I stopped by Azzedine Alaia’s place to see what he was preparing for fall. I found him upstairs in the studio, which consists of many racks of samples and dress patterns, stacks of shoe boxes, ironing boards and, at the far end, near a huge mirror, his ample work table. Alaia offered me a chair next to the table. A number of writers had trooped by over the weekend and we probably all had the same thought: Gee, what a fantastic way to look at clothes.

Alaia had made a runway out of a path between some dress racks. The first thing he showed me was a violet-gray wool coat that was snug through the waist and then opened to a skirt of tubular-like pleats. Each pleat was formed by an arch of stitches at the top. It’s intriguing that a number of designers have shown rounded shapes—Alexander McQueen, Marc Jacobs (the ribbing and necklines at Vuitton), the fellows at 6267, with their fluted leather collars. Alaia’s coat suggested to me Moorish architecture. A knit jacket in pinkish beige wool had a high rolled collar and dolman sleeves; the flaring skirt was ribbed and ruched in places. The outfit was all a knit, as were sleeveless tops and matching skirts that combined sheerness and curly bands of wool.

What Alaia is able to do with knitting is remarkable. He produces ruffles and poodle curls that look like lace. The skirt of one outfit, in a boiled black knit, consisted of vertical rows of overlapping circles, like sugar cookies arranged on a buffet tray. And all of these effects are a technical extension of recent work, like the pleated caterpillar dresses worn at last year’s Costume Institute party by Stephanie Seymour and Naomi Campbell, and the new crinkled cotton shirt dresses for spring that use embroidery anglaise.

slide1.jpg

slide2.jpg

slide3.jpg

slide4.jpg

slide5.jpg

slide6.jpg

Jean-Luce Huré for The New York Times

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/20...index.html?partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

where can you buy alaia online besides

departementfeminin
brownsfashion
matchesfashion
ebay
and gregorys?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cg1