Azzedine Alaia - The All-Things Azzedine Alaia Thread

that's so sad...i can't believe he wasn't included!!! such a shame. he's work outshines a lot of designers.

I wish I knew what there beef is with him. Plus Anna Wintour will not show his work in Vogue. They seem to be banning him from stuff. I can't figure out why? This seems like what happened to Charles James back in the day.

Victoria Beckham wearing Azzedine Alaïa dress from Spring 2009 collection, the cardigan is AA aswell.

please do not quote images. thank you.

Image Source: All photos from zigazig-ha.com

She is working this outfit, and is that a birkin bag??

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish I knew what there beef is with him. Plus Anna Wintour will not show his work in Vogue. They seem to be banning him from stuff. I can't figure out why? This seems like what happened to Charles James back in the day.

i think it might be because he doesn't care who the other person is when it comes to portraying his work. i read some pages back that he doesn't hesitate to get in touch with the stylist/editor who has styled his work wrongly. and he doesn't produce according to the calender like everyone else. so maybe he's too 'strong' in a way. wintour probably doesn;t like to be questioned.

^ I feel like I remember reading somewhere that his whole "off the calendar" approach was a part of why Vogue doesn't feature him. I don't think it started because Anna had something against him, but when Vogue stopped featuring his work because he wasn't producing with the same regularity that he once did, he got miffed about it and the tension grew from there. I also remember reading that because of this he has refused to invite anyone from American Vogue to the occasional shows he does put on.

I'll freely admit that his clothes are amazingly beautiful, but from the bits and pieces I've read about him over the year he does come off as something of an "artistic" personality, and I kind of get the feeling that Anna's not the type to tolerate that when it affects her magazine.

I find it silly and absurd that designers, or artists in general, have to produce on a schedule. You need to be inspired, and you can't dictate a timeline for inspiration.

I find it silly and absurd that designers, or artists in general, have to produce on a schedule. You need to be inspired, and you can't dictate a timeline for inspiration.

so true. i totally agree with you. the only problem is that if everyone worked like that, the billion dollar industry that is fashion might start to collapse. people will increasingly turn to fast fashion cause designer fashion has slowed down. and fast fashion will end up being the 'leaders' in the sense that they're ahead in terms of production and design. the good thing is, it brings us back to this couture sort of feel. where each collection is worked and worked on until it's ready chez alaia:D

I suggest they become writers, musicians or artists like painters, etc.

Fashion industry dictates a couple of things, the greatest of which is the churn of seasons and styles. Without this, the industry collapses. Why does the hem line rise and fall but for mainly a reason to have to buy more clothes?

I have seen some smaller fashion lines who have been late or delayed, and did not really hit their fall season until September, and I can tell you the impact was great in terms of lost sales and people picking over their left overs because the buyers were already "Inspired" and has spent earlier in August.

Likewise when you think of "Artist" what do you imagine? How many of people we see who are painters, musicians, or writers are also Waiters or cab drivers or what ever to pay the bill.

Fashion is a business with moments of flair, inspiration, and beauty... And not to be cynical but part of the cycle is also to allow these artists who have "bland" collection have them pass quickly because by the time they hit the shelves or go direct to the discount bin, they have hopefully have had enough time to recover and their next season is already being previewed.

If we look on First View, how many designers are listed, as well as what is the total market that is available? Fashion in the end is a business, it is also a business whose difference is often perception and whims

Good post.

However, at times the commercial facet of fashion overtakes the artistic facet. The emphasis nowadays seem to be on $$$ rather than creativity and innovation. Instead of true art, all you get is mass produced crap.

omg i love clueless!!! one of my fave movies of all time i wish i had one of those computer wardrobe things so handy! haha

Good post.

However, at times the commercial facet of fashion overtakes the artistic facet. The emphasis nowadays seem to be on $$$ rather than creativity and innovation. Instead of true art, all you get is mass produced crap.

Who is more guilty then? The designers? Or the customers who will still flock and buy out the collections?

I completely agree that the commercial aspects do corrupt and destroy artistic values. But by the same token, we also let the industry be corrupted by editors like Anna Wintour. Can it also not be said that when you see quotes that designers think of Anna when they build their collections, as well as statements such as "if Anna does not like your collection, she does not criticize it, but she does not cover it, so it is suffers from non-exposure"

By that same token, is that not also an equally negative force where the tastes of one determine the direction that a designer goes for approval. How many designers have tempered their ideas or expression for fear or knowing that it would not be pleasing to Anna and hence not wanting to suffer being expelled from the pages of Vogue.

While we can look to commercial aspects and the designers selling out at the cost of their artistic expressions, we ourselves must also accept responsibility for buying from collections that we feel are selling out, but yet are expressed as the in trend, as well as we also tacitly approve of self-censorship of artists by giving editors like Anna such power of exposure.

I love VP because you can always find a piece or two of his work in some issues :heart:

This dress and jacket:

Photographed by David Sims
Styled by Carine Roitfeld
Models: Kamila Filipcikova & Monika Jagaciak

scanned by Diorette

I love the fact that Alaia isn't seasonal.

There's something profoundly depressing about fashion moving so quickly. When you look at past decades of fashion, movements in fashion and designers, they seem to all have such a pronounced style and cohesiveness. Marc Jacobs, beloved of American Vogue though he is, never does that. There are whole 'seasons' of stuff he produces you just have to put down to wanting to do something different, making waves, a bad experiment, etc. It's easier to make noise than beautiful clothes.

Alaia's not like that. His clothes are timeless. I'd wear pretty much everything posted in this entire thread, no matter when it was from. It might be against the fashion industry, who are more focused on cultivating a culture of BUYING, CONSUMING... but it makes sense if you think of him loving clothes, loving a certain aesthetic, being true to it and wanting to make each piece one he can be proud of.

It makes me sad when he doesn't get the respect he deserves, but he is so beyond and above empty hype.

he embraces the way a woman moves...

jak&jil.com/blog

Attachments

• alaia1.jpg
    alaia1.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 61
  • alaia21.jpg
    alaia21.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 44
  • alaia31.jpg
    alaia31.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 57
Last edited by a moderator:
Luckyme....those pice are stuning....but the source is jak&jil.com/blog :flower:

Vogue China June 2009
Photographer: Cedric Buchet
Stylist:Beat Bolliger
Model: Naty Chabanenko

source:scanned by tFS member kazaf

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miumeow
Back