Balenciaga S/S 2009 by David Sims

It looks cool.
But I'm worried. How long will it take Nicolas until really nobody can wear his clothes anymore?

The ad has that same strange atmosphere that the early science fiction films. Very clean, very angular, very simple. And that represents the collection very well as I see it as something the people in the thirties would have imagined people in the nineties wearing.

I totally agree. There is also something about it that makes me think of like, Bauhaus and Russian modernism.

This isn't what I was expecting the campaign to be, but it works very well. I love the stillness and heavy atmosphere with the strongly futurist clothes, it could be contradictory, but its complimentary. I will be interested to see how they do the whole campaign. By having each girl have her own shot, I think it really puts the emphasis on the setting and the ambiance.

I always look forward to Balenciaga's ads, and as I had hoped, this does not disappoint. Probably my favorite of S/S 09 thus far.

Elsa looks stunning, that's for sure :heart: But I'm looking for forward to see more with other models, cause I'm still not 100% sure, that's something annoying about it. But I have to admit that it's kinda perfect frot this collection :shock::woot:

David Sims is perfect for Balenciaga's aesthetic, but recently I just can't stand him.....and the casting, I'm so sick of these look-a-like, newbie, ambiguous girls, only excited to see Kinga, she is really perfect for this campaign IMO

I don't hate the setting. I think I have a problem with the casting and the posing so far.

I wouldn't have minded the casting so much if it were a group shot like how I described a few posts back, but having these single girl shots is not quite right. For these single shots, the campaign should have gone to one girl.

I actually wouldn't have minded seeing Natalia V do the campaign. She opened the show and looked stunning and with the whited out eyebrows, she had a really alien/ other worldly look that would have suited the campaign wonderfully.

And regarding the posing, I would have preferred a strong, imposing stationary pose instead of this walking, skipping, hopping pose we have here....makes it seem very US Vogue.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's it? That's the end result? That's what all of the drama and strangeness on the runway added up to?

I don't think I've ever been so underwhelmed by an ad before. It's just not doing anything for me at all. And after reading a little blurb about it somewhere a few months back about how monumental this campaign was going to be I'm even more baffled by this ultimately average looking photograph that could be for any brand by any photographer in any magazine just for the sake of filling up space.

^Fear not. When you see the majority of the images together (granted they're all singles) it really starts to feel as eerie and structured as the collection did itself. Perhaps that's just my personal opinion, but I think that once you see each girl together everyone who feels a little underwhelmed will have a change of heart.

That's it? That's the end result? That's what all of the drama and strangeness on the runway added up to?

I don't think I've ever been so underwhelmed by an ad before. It's just not doing anything for me at all.
I agree...the more I think about it and look at it, the more disappointed I become.

GOD!!! Why couldn't I have been in charge of this campaign (sorry that sounds so narcissistic:lol:)...but the colored lights would have been SOOOO gorgeous!:cry:

HANNE! :wub:

HanneBalenciaga09.jpg

(models.com)

^^Thank you for that. I like Hanne's shot much better. The colors are very nice in that shot.

It's slightly confusing... it feels so distant, just like the vibe I got from the show but I do like the futurism and science fiction theme. It doesn't grab me (yet). Maybe it's just the green, I hate that shade of green unless there's other colors involved. :P

As for the casting, I'm curious for Hanne's and Iris' shots. And I love Katie, just think she should've gotten Prada.

Ok, that one is a lot better than Elsa's shot....Hanne looks alien and the jacket looks divine. Much better.

Ooohh Hanne! :woot: There might not have been a better fitting model for this ad. She looks like she normally lives on that set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agetyuter
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->