Balmain S/S 2009 Paris

Balmain under
Decarnin has been so hyped..but the clothes does not warrant that price tags at all.. even newspapers are reporting that the items were flying out the shelves
still I see them hanging around in stores..it becomes too ostantatious for people with that kind of money.

I really thought Decarnin
would bring something
new to the table..But this is so in your face.. so Euro trash.

^ i'd like to clarify that there is nothing humorous about what christophe is doing. decarnin is not franco moschino (rip); there is no subtext or underlining "humor against the standards of the fashion industry" to what he does, it's just him designing what he thinks are "cute clothes" that his customer wants to wear. i don't know where those of you who have mentioned that are getting this from, or why you'd even try to justify this rubbish in some way. there's nothing to it but a questionable level of taste.

That is coming off very rude and authoritative. I for one happen to find Balmain both humorous and cute. Humorous in the excessive opulence and bad taste (which I am sure Decarnin and Emanuelle Alt understand). And cute in the sense that the pieces become so unusual that they're covetable.

If you don't like it, that's fine. But accusing people of being drunk or catching onto the Balmain look after the cool crowd left is rather obnoxious.

truly bad. this collection just shows that this team (decarnin and alt) is enough now.
please let ms. alt do it alone and fire decarnin. or just change the A.D.

some talked about tacky. this is beyond tacky. this is to vomite for. this has no sense in 2009.

i'm not liking this sort of white stripes military jacket with shoulder pads and glitter, i'm not liking the chanel tweed jacket, the look on lara in post #60 is ugly - no other word needed! and it goes on ever in this collection ....
i'm seeing a LOT of Peter Dundas at Ungaro, as well ..... and i like this - if you take away those margiela shoulders.
yes i think i named all the inspiration, there .....

i must say i like some stuff like the tutus and this sort of destroyed combinaison under the pink tacky alaïa-léger-versace magdalena's wearing. and i like the last look on Natasha. i think this collection should been like that. tempered ......

les copieurs sont démasqués. virez les !
(copycats are unmasked. fire them!)

Great! I have liked Balmain very much and this is so beautiful collection once again.

^ i'd like to clarify that there is nothing humorous about what christophe is doing. decarnin is not franco moschino (rip); there is no subtext or underlining "humor against the standards of the fashion industry" to what he does, it's just him designing what he thinks are "cute clothes" that his customer wants to wear. i don't know where those of you who have mentioned that are getting this from, or why you'd even try to justify this rubbish in some way. there's nothing to it but a questionable level of taste.

that being said, i do like that look that madamexk posted above. minus the insane shoulders, and with some tailoring to the pants (they are way too long in a gross early-00s kind of way), it would be indeed wearable... chic, even...although, it is something we've definitely seen before from balmain.

Weren't you calling the collection "fierce" last season in praise? It's not that I like what Decarnin is doing but I think I finally get it. Like I mentioned before, he's working with a low brow sex aesthetic and once I get past that I can see some interesting things going on. His older SS 07 and fall 07 collections were noteworthy in that regard despite that he's still essentially designing the same kind of clothes. The obscenely angular shoulders and the green/magenta sequined embellishments are totally ridiculous, Decarnin has to be aware of this. You're right, he's no Moschino but I don't think he's as dense as you make him out to be.

Everything I had been anticipating for, I got. Christophe you never disappoint me!! :heart: The toy soldier-like jackets are fantastic and the dresses are so sexy -- as usual.

the aw08 tuxedo jacket (52% viscose 48% cotton) is $2875.
and the red leopard cropped pants (98% cotton 2% lycra) are $1535.

who's buying this?

35643_fr_l.jpg

pic: net a porter

Last edited by a moderator:
^Oh I know Alejandro. I was just throwing it out there because I just can't imagine what justifies these prices.

Rochas was considered demi-couture not just because of the prices but because of the amount of time consuming handwork and detailing that went into making some of the more expensive pieces. Basically what demi-couture is is clothes that use couture techniques to create ready to wear, in other words, it's not custom made to the clients body or specifications. Rochas didn't do jeans or t-shirts at all, their separates were mostly blouses, skirts, jackets, coats and trousers. But none of those pieces were insanely priced, they cost the same as most designer ready to wear. The demi-couture pieces were mostly ballgowns and such.

Oh thank you! Now I know! ^_^

It's good, not as good as his previous collections but definitely not a disappointment. I like some of the pieces but the crystal is kind of overused.

Wow wow wow. I want almost everything. I love love the jeans. And the models for this collection are well suited.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love it, I little bit tacky, but it's summer for god's sake. Glad to see Snejana.

This is sooooooooooooooooooooo bad (the cloths, of course, because it is not fashion, it is just 'cloths', but i'm refering mainly to the concept, a very disgusting idea is what I've seen there) that I'm not going to comment (althoug I'm afraid I've done it...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
honeybabe
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->