Blake Lively & Leonardo DiCaprio Dating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does A list have to do with anything? You said "celebrity couples". Plenty of them who are photographed often by the paparazzi, some of them on a almost daily basis display PDA. Lots of them don't. Leo's up and down with it. This was one of the first photos of Leo & Bar when they first started dating: http://tinypic.com/r/25incjn/7
I just want to point something out. We're all aware that sometimes celebs publicists tip of the paps and the celebs put on a show of PDA to "announce" their relationship. But sometimes they actually don't know they're being followed. We can't know what's genuine and what's not (unless it's one of those completely obvious staged sets of pics, which also happens!). Also keep in mind that some people (famous or not) are more comfortable with PDA than others.

But in general, I do think some people are reading too much into this. Isn't it possible that Leo and Blake hooked up because they liked each other? Yes it's an odd couple but so what? We've seen odder. Is it really necessary to make moral judgements on either of them because they've been seen together a few times?

@lostgirl, Yeah totally, I think that's what the thread is for to speculate and put forth different theories. I mean who knows may be this is Leo's Annette Benning (for those who don't know that is the womean that finally got Warren Beatty to sttle down and have babies).

As Ive learnt, theres no point trying to point out the obvious to most bloggers when it comes to anything surrounding Blake Lively. If it doesnt match with the "image" they have of her, then its ignored. Even a picture of her looking rightfully stressed during what must be an embarrasing time is pre planned & calculated. Shes a fame wh*re - and that is it apparently. No if, buts or maybe's about it.

The very same could be said for her fans, to be fair. And I think people being speculative and questioning about things being planned is justifiable now more than ever considering what has developed in the last few days...

Last edited by a moderator:
This whole blake-leo thing is now boring me
Posted via Mobile Device

I just want to point something out. We're all aware that sometimes celebs publicists tip of the paps and the celebs put on a show of PDA to "announce" their relationship. But sometimes they actually don't know they're being followed. We can't know what's genuine and what's not (unless it's one of those completely obvious staged sets of pics, which also happens!). Also keep in mind that some people (famous or not) are more comfortable with PDA than others.

But in general, I do think some people are reading too much into this. Isn't it possible that Leo and Blake hooked up because they liked each other? Yes it's an odd couple but so what? We've seen odder. Is it really necessary to make moral judgements on either of them because they've been seen together a few times?

Is this all directed to me because I don't know or care if it's real or not or if celebs know they are being photographed or not. I was simply saying some (not all) celebs are fine with PDA.

I kind of agree with both OhSoLively and Lacroix.

1 - Some things about Blake's PR strategy just can't be denied, or rewritten: She hired one of the most agressive PR firms out there in the beginning of Gossip Girl, did things like invite a gossip mag to cover her 21st birthday party, was pretty paparazzi friendly, got a disproportionate amount of covers, photo ops, fashion related deals, etc, when contrasted with her actual fame level and/or career achievments;

All of that overexposure, in itself, is a turn off for a lot of people - coupled with the very real fact that she hasn't, so far, proven herself when it comes to acting, just enhances the negative perception some have of her.
Which leads to my second point:

2 - Most people really, really can't be objective when it comes to her. There's just too much ill will from all the above things, a pretty set "image" in their heads of who Blake is and what she's capable of, an automatic willingness to believe any bad rumors about her, and even to think up new ones by themselves and take it as gospel.

So yes, there's a real viciousness when it comes to her, but it also didn't entirely appear out of thin air. I tried sticking to known facts and skipping unproven rumors in the "negatives" column, btw.

So when Anna Wintour and Karl Lagerfeld called Blake up and asked to be on the cover of their magazines or be the face of their products, was she supposed to say no?

@Agee, why do you think Anna called Blake, why did the board of directors of Chanel approve Blake to be the face of Madmeoiselle handbags (of course this is a minor line for Chanel and Blake replaced Lilley Allen - but still its Chanel)?

Definitely not because she sells, because both editions with Blake on the cover sold poorly. And everybody now knows that insiders at Chanel did not agree with the choice.

You can compare this to Gretchen Moll (poor thing) being on the cover of Vanity Fair being proclaimed as the NEXT IT GIRL - side note funny how much pull Weinstein has in the mag biz, but then agin he has a couple of join ventures with Graydon Carter (the editor of Vanity Fair) same when Harvey was trying to make Sienna happen - she got American Vogue cover when she was only known here in the US as Jude's gf.

agee, I'm sorry, are you under the impression that stuff like that "just happens" for people of Blake's level of fame/importance in the entertainment world without A LOT of networking and without them actively seeking out those opportunities?

My question is why does Anna dig her so much that she keeps trying to make her happen? Of course Blake is not the first starlet who tried to curry favor with Anna and Karl, yet they are keeping company with her and giving her enviable opportunities for a reason, now who knows if she will actually become the next big thing but their continued interest in her is not just because of aggressive PR, that may have gotten her in the same room as them, but I don't think that Anna put Blake on the cover of Vogue because her publicist hounded her.

ETA to my previous comment:
I don't know if is Blake is a vain girl who like attention, I suspect that she is, but at the same time it is de rigueur for actors to have publicists and then the publicist works to put the actor in the public eye, but at the end of the day the public and / or the tastemakers have to take an interest in the actor.

My guess is that Blake did not mind going to events and getting her picture taken, so yes she likes attention but another motive for her aggressive PR was to either generate interest in a TV show that airs on a network with more misses than hits or to generate enough interest in her so that if the show did not make it, that she would have increased her Q score enough to land her next role. At some point it becomes a bit of a chicken and egg situation, is the subject pursing the media because she likes attention or is the media pursuing the subject because the public is interested in her?

oh, I don't doubt that she can be pleasing or that those people actually took a liking to her after they got acquainted (who knows) - but you do realize, as you implied in your answer, that for things to even get to that level there was a lot of work to be done, and she and her team would have to actively seek out the opportunity. It's not a magical fairy tale thing where those invitations just happened to drop in the lap of this mostly unkown actress from a CW show and she had no choice but to agree - these are things she actively sought out, (and that ultimately didn't help her career in the way she originally intended - imo, of course).

To your second point, about going after media exposure to improve her career... that's one, quicker way of doing things, another would have been trying to improve her craft by going after low profile projects that gave her a chance to learn and improve away from the glare, and eventually get noticed for her talents and not for her presence in events/fashion pursuits. As it stands, she's a known actress, but not a respected one, and negative attention is bound to come with that combo.

PS. Saw a new preview for Green Lantern tonight at the theater...oh lawd...Ms. Lively better hold on tight to that new life raft she has because that movie looks flopolicious.

Is this all directed to me because I don't know or care if it's real or not or if celebs know they are being photographed or not. I was simply saying some (not all) celebs are fine with PDA.
No, not all directed at you. It was directed at several posts discussing the PDA issue and the paps. I quoted your post because it seemed to sum up the issue. Sorry for the confusion.

The PR Team is really just shoving them down our throats at this point. Giggling over ice cream...really?

The duo, first spotted looking cozy right after the Cannes Film Festival, haven't spent much time apart since then.

Before hopping on a boat ride Thursday, as pictured, they arrived in Venice the night before via private jet. A source confirms to PEOPLE that the stars are staying at the five-star Hotel Cipriani.

After setting sail for the day, Lively, 23, and DiCaprio, 36, cooled off with a frosty treat, an onlooker says, telling PEOPLE, "Their ice creams began to melt and dribble. They were giggling trying to lick the drips up."

After their icy date, the pair met up with Naomi Campbell and her beau Vladimir Doronin. As for Friday, the new duo has "spent all afternoon by the pool."

My question is why does Anna dig her so much that she keeps trying to make her happen? Of course Blake is not the first starlet who tried to curry favor with Anna and Karl, yet they are keeping company with her and giving her enviable opportunities for a reason, now who knows if she will actually become the next big thing but their continued interest in her is not just because of aggressive PR, that may have gotten her in the same room as them, but I don't think that Anna put Blake on the cover of Vogue because her publicist hounded her.

This is a very good question. And my theory is this: in the past decade or so, fewer and fewer models have appeared solo on the cover of American Vogue. Instead, actresses, whom normal people (the bulk of the readers) relate to have landed the covers. Why? Because actresses are more well known than models, and a large part of the reason for this is that they are not always "perfect." Yes, I know that nobody is, but models are very tall, very thin, and very beautiful... the typical woman not just in America but all over the world cannot relate to models nearly as much as they can to actresses. Actresses have flaws and are less... seemingly perfect. Enter Blake Lively. She is tall and has an amazing figure and wears complete runway looks all the time, often the type of look that is featured in American Vogue. But she is an actress. She is cute and very all-American looking, and almost modelesque.

Of course, she is not the only actress like this, there are many who are tall and beautiful and probably a lot more talented than Blake. But her PR really pushed her, and these things combined are likely what landed her 2 covers.

I will try and find the article but it might take some digging, thankfully my internship allows me a lot free time to roam the internet.

And as Lainey pointed out, Blake is supposed to look bad and distressed remeber she is playing the victim now, its all about public perception.

If you find it, that's awesome!

LOL, and yes I forgot, she's supposed to be somewhat distraught right now.

Yeah...I don't see this being longterm once he goes to Australia and she's back in NY for GG. Unless she's cool with an open relationship.

i wouldn't count on these scheduling difficulties putting an end to them. if you'll recall the movie-and-tv pair from years past (bradjen), they bent heaven and earth with respect to their schedules to make sure they were together. jennifer aniston even convinced brad pitt to make cameos on friends. and jennifer aniston began her movie career at the same time. i'm sure the producers of gossip girl understand that the publicity from this dalliance bodes well for the ratings of that show and would find themselves flexible with the scheduling if that were that case. especially if they might get a leo cameo out of it. further, remember that blake lively had her eyes on that gatsby movie as well before carey mulligan snagged it. so obviously if the producers of gossip girl were flexible enough to let her star in the movie, they'll be flexible enough to let her get date the star of that movie.

Wow that People report is just laughable are they kidding. Shocked jut shocked that Leo ia allowing himself to get used by her pr machine like this. Everything I percevied about Leo the serious actor just flew out the window.

A source confirms to PEOPLE that the stars are staying at the five-star Hotel Cipriani.

Yeah wonder who the source is. Leo the Oscar nominated actor giigling over meltiong ice cream there is a great visual.

I kind of agree with both OhSoLively and Lacroix.

1 - Some things about Blake's PR strategy just can't be denied, or rewritten: She hired one of the most agressive PR firms out there in the beginning of Gossip Girl, did things like invite a gossip mag to cover her 21st birthday party, was pretty paparazzi friendly, got a disproportionate amount of covers, photo ops, fashion related deals, etc, when contrasted with her actual fame level and/or career achievments;

All of that overexposure, in itself, is a turn off for a lot of people - coupled with the very real fact that she hasn't, so far, proven herself when it comes to acting, just enhances the negative perception some have of her.
Which leads to my second point:

2 - Most people really, really can't be objective when it comes to her. There's just too much ill will from all the above things, a pretty set "image" in their heads of who Blake is and what she's capable of, an automatic willingness to believe any bad rumors about her, and even to think up new ones by themselves and take it as gospel.

So yes, there's a real viciousness when it comes to her, but it also didn't entirely appear out of thin air. I tried sticking to known facts and skipping unproven rumors in the "negatives" column, btw.

I agree with everything you've said. :flower: The amount of vitriol some direct towards her is a bit much at times, then again, the hype that surrounds her, the entire PR blitz we've been subjected too is also a bit much. One can't even deny she wasn't asking for it. Well, obviously she'd have never wanted to be loathed or disliked by people, but she did want to be talked about, and she certainly wanted more exposure and media attention than her talent and achievements warranted. And attention, as she's learned the hard way, won't invariably be positive. Won't people be forgiven to believe the worst of her when she's given them much incentive to do so. Public opinion of a public figure is, fairly or unfairly, moulded by the said figure's actions. Many of her contemporaries like Emma Stone, Carey Mulligan, Kristen Stewart et al don't garner as much snark and scepticism as Blake does, but then again they've chosen to keep a rather low profile and are concentrating more on trying to establish their careers through their talent and not via aggressive PR and incommensurate hype. What gets my goat is not that she's dating Leonardo DeCaprio or that she's the face of Chanel, but when her PR team and her fans try to convince me that she's really every bit a star as she's touted to be, which is bollocks! I feel patronised when that happens. I can judge for myself, thank you very much, without being TOLD that she's a rising star. Ditto with this entire Leo business. Her PR team will milk it for all this is worth, just like how they milk anything and everything about her. If this relationship receives more media attention than previous ones of Leo haven't, it is perhaps natural for people to assume that it's partially because of Blake's love for exposure, than the fact that this time he's dating an actress and not a foreign born model.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robert0199
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->