Body Cages

dirtylaundry

Reaction score
This is a trend that has been growing lately in popularity among many a fashion blogger (most likely inspired by Style Bubble). What are your thoughts on them?

t62hqd.jpg

source: Fashion Toast

2ebwh2g.jpg

source: Givenchy vest

that YSL is so beautiful.. thanks C~D! I wonder, it looks like vinyl

dirtylaundry the title you created makes a new spin on it
it's a great idea.. i was imagining it stemmed from lace and fringe

The YSL is very architectural. I like the possibilies of would could be worn underneath as a constrast.

Oh... I thought the cages in question would be some of those cages worn by femmes in the Victorian era with those dresses. Thought this was some Victorian era trend at first. I'm not sure what to make of this style. It's a little too outlandish for me.

Wasn't the YSL one of the most expensive pieces of the season?
A two and four zeros?

Chanel

S/S 09

00330m.jpg

style

I also thought of YSL, but the shoes..(I didn't know if I should post them, but feet are technically part of the body :lol:)

Yves Saint Laurent SS09
00070m.jpg
00040m.jpg

style.com

Wasn't the YSL one of the most expensive pieces of the season?
A two and four zeros?

Chanel

S/S 09

style
Yeah, that YSL coat is either $22,000 or $23,000 US.

For me this really is a just a facet of the general bondage trend that permeated the spring collections rather than a trend unto itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
^The shoes are totally appropriate, because this design concept is derived in part from shoewear, which by necessity has always been cage-like.

Body cages are a bridge between armor/self-protection and underwear/exhibitionism. This strange interplay is an important theme for our times, and was reflected previously by the ever-popular S&M trends of recent seasons (latex, tough shoes, body-con, corsets etc.) Now all those trends have started to seem tired, but the ideas behind them remain relevant. A newer, fresher spin is needed, and this is where cage-like garments come in.

Another element to this trend is that we're going to see a lot more architectural designs from high-fashion designers in the future. Designs that are based on intricate construction. The fashion industry cannot ride on things like It-bags, cult shoes, and $200 tshirts indefinitely, or at least, I hope it doesn't. It must find a way to make consumers excited about the design process again. And for all its elitism, body cages and architectural pieces are not easy for lower-end brands to create (including jewellery); so it's partly a business strategy.

Oh, and Alexander MacQueen sometimes touched on this theme in his work, but I'm terrible at remembering which shows. Help, anyone? He mostly exposed the structure of petticoats, it was really stunning.

The look in post 2 and the YSL shoes are to die for. I like how the former highlights the form of the body. It's a really sexy look in my opinion.

00270m.jpg

style.com

Another Givenchy, SS09...This is quite different to the idea of a body cage like YSL but it's still quite 'cagey' :lol:

^It reminds me of a skeleton. It reminds me a little bit of Alexander McQueen Spring 2006 too.

00230m.jpg
00250m.jpg

00310m.jpg
00510m.jpg

Credit: Style

^Alexander MacQueen. I hope someone knows the petticoats I referred to, they're such a perfect example of this. It may have been from his Givenchy collections? I wish I could remember...anyway, here is one of MacQueen's designs for Samsonite, the one with the ribcage outline.

3106_a4e7b4efdf80013d4d3ca29277189e94.jpg

www.imaginelifestyles.com

While I'm not sure I would actually like to own that suitcase, I love the idea behind it. When we travel, the belongings we pack are a piece of our heart, and we bring that inner world to a foreign destination. And just as our ribcage protects our delicate heart and other organs, what we carry within our luggage protects us when we are vulnerable in a new environment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->