Bottega Veneta Deleted Their Social Media Pages

A step in the right direction. Fashion magazines should do the same.

via Fashionweekdaily:

REVEALED! THIS IS THE REASON WHY BOTTEGA VENETA DISAPPEARED FROM INSTAGRAM

written by Freya Drohan February 18, 2021

Last month, luxury brand Bottega Veneta did the unthinkable (le gasp!) and removed itself from Instagram. When we covered the news, the story went viral as it was the first time a major fashion brand had sponged all of its social accounts from the internet. We were left scratching our heads for a while, but now we have the suss.

Kering chairman and chief executive officer François-Henri Pinault said that the brand has decided to lean into using its many ambassadors and fan accounts as a way to still get the message out. While @bottegaveneta did boast 2.5 million followers at the time of deleting its official page, the likes of @newbottega, curated independently by Laura Nycole, already has half a million people hanging on to every post.

“Regarding its digital communication strategy, it’s not disappearing from social networks—it’s merely using them differently,” Pinault said. “Bottega has decided, in line with its positioning, to lean much more on its ambassadors and fans by giving them the material they need to talk about the brand through various social networks, by letting them speak for the brand rather than doing it itself.” …. smart!

Interestingly, Pinault added that the teams are closely monitoring the impact of the social media disappearance and so far, it’s indicating hat it was a good move: “I have to say that after a month and a half, it’s pretty convincing in terms of Bottega Veneta’s visibility, and we are monitoring it quite precisely,” he said.

Enacting different strategies is key for the mega brands in the Kering stable to differentiate themselves. “In order to be very complementary, we don’t want to replicate the same thing at every brand. Bottega has had a very specific positioning for years, which is now being reinforced,” he noted.

What a fraud. He deleted their official social media page and instead went with the absolute worst thing there is, Influencers. I feel disgusted by this new development. They are giving more power to social media than ever before. It’s a collaboration between two evils and both will reap the rewards. I take back any positive comments I made have made in my previous reply. I thought he was moving away from conformity. It turns out he’s just cashing in another way.

Bottega Veneta doesn’t use influencers anymore. If you had been paying attention you would have noticed that they only used a small group (only around 5-10 very well selected content creators in total) and stopped working with all of them after the launch of their first collection, which obviously didn’t sit well with them. Daniel Lee stated multiple times that he’s not a fan of social media and influencers are the epitome of social media so it wouldn’t make sense if they were still using them. All the influencers you see wearing Bottega nowadays simply went to the store and bought it with their own $$$, even if some of them try to make it look like it was part of a collaboration. The only people who received a single gifting in the past year are editors for example who attended their shows or models who walked them. I have friends who work in their offices so my source is reliable :smile: what Pinault said in the interview is rather about friends of the house (again, editors, Rosie HW, magazines) or their fans

Bottega Veneta doesn’t use influencers anymore. If you had been paying attention you would have noticed that they only used a small group (only around 5-10 very well selected content creators in total) and stopped working with all of them after the launch of their first collection, which obviously didn’t sit well with them. Daniel Lee stated multiple times that he’s not a fan of social media and influencers are the epitome of social media so it wouldn’t make sense if they were still using them. All the influencers you see wearing Bottega nowadays simply went to the store and bought it with their own $$$, even if some of them try to make it look like it was part of a collaboration. The only people who received a single gifting in the past year are editors for example who attended their shows or models who walked them. I have friends who work in their offices so my source is reliable :smile: what Pinault said in the interview is rather about friends of the house (again, editors, Rosie HW, magazines) or their fans

righhhhtttt...

Yeah, not true.

I follow a good number of curated 'influencer' accounts via Instagram and when they are posting images of the brand, even without tagging the brand name, we ALL know those are gifted to them for exposure.

as someone who works for a luxury lifestyle brand in marketing, where part of my job description includes social media management, i can concur that influencer marketing is not especially effective as far as conversions are concerned.

the public -know- when a post has been sponsored/endorsed and, for that reason, the legitimacy of the influencer's content is not taken as seriously as when someone with a big platform (but who would not necessarily dub themselves an 'influencer') is just seen wearing a garment because they like it, and choose to tag it. it's authentic that way.

as far as bottega veneta is concerned, their social media presence was weak at best. it's not as though they're a social media powerhouse, so if they're trying to do this as some sort of pr stunt, well.. i hate to break it to them..

I swear to god Daniel Lee / BV is a psyop. Everything about it flops so hard and someone/something continues to put it out there like it's a major iconic success

I'm a little disappointed that the 'no Instagram' strategy turns out to be untrue, it was just a press release to make people talk, and it seems that in the end they haven't left Social Media at all. Funny that they would underestimate people in that way

There's no way Daniel Lee's Bottega would be as hot as it is today without influencer marketing. Point. Same applies to Jacquemus and the renewed interest in Dior's Saddle bag. These hit pieces were circulated across Instagram like crazy and it made them sought after which ultimately increased sales.
I agree that most influencers have a sketchy reach, but you can see ROI with the ones with a very focused niche who don't post sponsored content every day. And when they do, it's not as blatant.

But I don't think these are the ideal platforms for brands like Bottega. Maybe you can pass this on to your 'friend', TaraFolisea. :smile:

Bottega Veneta should be really thankful to the person who came up with the idea of deleting all their social media accounts. Yesterday the brand had a presentation in Berlin and apparently they had an illegal afterparty, too.

So the girl behind New Bottega started as a fan account but now that they dissapeared from socials, it’s like she is doing a free job for them...

^ I doubt she does...

indirectly I think that she does it without even know it...specially after being a succesful profile (in terms of likes and followers). And a lot of industry insiders tag her account when they show something of Bottega on their feeds or posts.

Is it the same people who thought it was a good idea to hold a fashion show at Berghain (give me a break) and afterparty at Soho House (give me another break) in Berlin during lockdown including curfew? Because people are not amused about it. But there is no bad publicity I guess?

What is interesting is that this controversy and the lack of official BV IG allowed them to not speak on the controversy.
The social media outrage will have no impact for the brand. People don’t know where to express their anger...

By the time the collection will be released, people may have gone onto another controversy...

There's no way Daniel Lee's Bottega would be as hot as it is today without influencer marketing. Point. Same applies to Jacquemus and the renewed interest in Dior's Saddle bag. These hit pieces were circulated across Instagram like crazy and it made them sought after which ultimately increased sales.
I agree that most influencers have a sketchy reach, but you can see ROI with the ones with a very focused niche who don't post sponsored content every day. And when they do, it's not as blatant.

But I don't think these are the ideal platforms for brands like Bottega. Maybe you can pass this on to your 'friend', TaraFolisea. :smile:

In fact it was the other way around for the Saddle. It was very interesting to discover that Dior worked with an innovative start-up to analyze the amount of engagement the Saddle was getting on Instagram prior to its reboot (thus people posting vintage pieces). It is only when they quantitatively realized that there was a rising engagement for the bag that they have decided to launch a new version...
In a sense, Dior capitalized on a momentum it had not created itself but that was rather out of their control (and not contributing to their sales) since it was mostly driven by second hand pieces.
Of course, their campaign following the relaunch has made the Saddle hype reach new heights afterwards to the point of overexposure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->