Brazilian Blow Dry

iLoveCouture

catch me if you can
Reaction score
from glamour.com

New Celeb Hair Obsession: The Brazilian Blowout

So, I'm friends with celebrity hairstylist Andy LeCompte on Facebook, and I noticed the other day that he posted a link to Nicole Richie's blog, where she was raving about a new hair treatment she gets at Andy's salon. I had to message him right away and get the scoop for you!

0402-brazilian_blowdry_2_bd.jpg
Andy with Nicole at his salon opening party.

I did a little (okay, huge, by blog standards) Q&A with Andy and Liz, the stylist at his salon who gives Nicole her Brazilian treatments. Here ya go, girlfriends:
Can you explain to our readers what exactly a Brazilian blowout is, and how it's different from Japanese straightening?
Liz: The Brazilian Blowout is different from Japanese straightening and other Brazilian straighteners because it doesn't completely straighten the hair. The hair still has plenty of volume and body and can still be worn curly or wavy. The Brazilian just softens whatever curl or wave you have. If the hair is air dried without a blow dryer, it will still have wave or curl but no frizz. On the flip side, if you want to blow dry your hair straight, you can do that, without a brush, in a fraction of the amount of time it would have taken without the Brazilian. Also, with other methods, there is a line of demarcation, meaning that when new hair grows in, it is curly/ wavy while the rest of the hair is straight. This blowout method washes away with time and is diffused, so there is no noticeable difference between new hair and treated hair. Other methods also have harsh chemicals in them like formaldehyde. The Brazilian Blowout does NOT have formaldehyde in it. And none of the chemicals in it are carcinogenic.
Other than Nicole, which of your other celebrity clients are doing this?
Andy: I know Ashley Tisdale has come in for it, and also Lindsay Lohan. I'm sure many more are doing it, and even more will be soon. It's still rather new and is suddenly catching on, primarily because of the new formaldehyde-free formulation. I have only recently started recommending to my clients because of that, and because I know what results they can expect.
0402-brazilian_blowdry_bd.jpg

What's the process of getting this done like?
It's relatively simple compared to other Brazilian straighteners and Japanese straightening methods. The hair is washed with a clarifying shampoo, solution is applied, the hair is dried, I flat iron the hair to seal in the solution, rinse the solution out, apply a conditioning mask and blow dry. The entire treatment takes 1 to 1 1/2 hours, depending on how much hair the client has.
Can you describe the results a little more for us?
Liz: It literally gives everyone "wash and wear" hair. It allows clients to have freedom to enjoy activities they may have in the past because they didn't want to get their hair wet and have to spend an hour redoing it. You're no longer a slave to your hair. You can do whatever you want--work out, swim--without having to think about not getting your hair wet, because you know you will be able to make it look great in 15 minutes with just a simple blow dry. The treatment simply washes away over time and your hair returns to its normal state, so if you don't like it, you don't have to worry about having to cut all your hair off to get rid of it. The Brazilian Blowout lasts for up to 3 months.
Nicole's blog was quite an endorsement!
Andy: Despite being a new mom with a very busy schedule, for the first time in her life she can come out of the shower and do nothing to her hair. For Nicole in the past, washing her hair was always a process that took at least an hour. So being able to get out of the shower and do nothing and just let her hair air dry is a real privilege.
So...what's it cost? And is it safe for delicate or damaged hair?
Liz: The treatment starts at $350. It's safe for all hair types, even fine, brittle, damaged. In fact, the more damaged hair will often have the most dramatic results.
To find a salon near you that offers the Brazilian Blowout, click here. Oh, and here's a great New York Times story on Brazilian straightening treatments, including this one.
Has anyone done this before?

Last edited by a moderator:
its been done in my country for months now, my stylist always suggests it to me as i have very fine hair that tends to frizz but i d rather wait till summertime when i spend my days at the beach and i need for it to dry fast at night

i think it s great to finally be able to have nice hair without spending half hour blowdrying it

hi! i was looking at new discussions and i read this...
i've done the brazilian in december and i'm totally crazy about!
i had wavy dry hair and now they are soft and shine!
they told me that treatment noutrishes hair but it's not a straightening....
anyway, i asked to a friend of mine that done it before. she had very unruly hair and now she's perfect.
i have to do the second treatment after 45 days, then after 3 months, then after 6 and then 1 time x year.
i was sceptic but i don't know why i didn't do it before :smile:

p.s. i've done it in december and i went to maldives for new year's eve...i've never had my hair so soft at the beach like this :wink:

intersting.
i d like to hear more from people who ve done it.

i hate it when am at the beach and my hair starts to dry and it gets frizzy. so i guess this brazilian thing would be good for me

I found out about this on Nicole Richie's blog. My salon does it and I am considering saving up to get this done. I live in Florida and the humidity can be unbearable at times and my poor hair turns into a frizz ball, regardless of the amount of anti frizz/smothing product is in it. Even when I go to the gym my hair frizzes, it is so annoying.

candycandy - did it take long to do? are there any chemicals in it that are bad for you?

Here is a before and after I found on brazilianblowdry.com

IMG_1912.jpg
IMG_1914.jpg

I have done it to my hair a couple of times when I was living in the Virginia area a couple years ago... I used to get it done by one Dominican stylist in D.C.

I love it. No one does it here where I live now :(

i think this could help you iloveCouture :smile:
i mean, your hair won't become like the picture every time you wash them up!
but it will be so easy to brush them and keep the look.
consider that before doing it it took me 30 minutes to brush my hair into smooth and they were never good!
now 5 minutes passing my hand through the hair when i use the hairdryier :wink:
i was told that this product is made with keratin and sugar cane and it's not chemical.
like every hair colouring you have to avoid to do if you're pregnant.
it took me about 2 hours and i had not to wash the hair for 3 days if i remember right.
i paid about $280 products included ( then you have to use only this kind of shampoo, cream and serum ).
i hope it helps!

Thanks so much for the details!! You got a great deal on yours. I think I will give this a try...everywhere I have looked I am seeing rave reviews.

i did it back in october last year, it was right before my honeymoon so i was thinking i dont wanna waste my time worrying about how frizzy my hair's gonna get everytime i shower n spend a lot of time drying it and styling and applying a butt load of products that i know are only gonna end up making my hair look dirty right after washing it.
im so glad that i did it, my hair dresser only used a blow dryer and no straightening iron because i told her i hate the sticky straight look and i would love to see my natural hair texture sans the frizz, but she said that the goal is not to straighten, just treat!
oh my, i know i sound like a commercial, a bad one too but this is the first time in my life that i feel confident about my hair! i hiiiighly recommend it! my hair is wavy and never curly nor straight, so this just gave the waves more health and sheen and body

the packaging at my salon is brown or bronze i don t remember
and they don t use flat iron but a blowdryer like u mentioned

I've been doing it for the past 2 years with Suzy at the Argyle in LA (first place in US to do it). I adore it but wish I could find it for less than $350. I hear Fantastic Sams does is but I'm completely afraid of that place.

Would love any recommendations in the los angeles area if you know of anything cheaper.

here s a salon for u

Nikki Shabani
12930 Ventura Blvd. #220
Studio City, CA 91604
818-421-4738

my salon whose also a wholesaler in the area does it for around 250$
but if i do it, it s gonna be for free :smile: i just need to be more convinced

Im going to get this done tomorrow...it starts at $325 at my salon. I hope its worth the money!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->