Calvin Klein 205W39NYC S/S 2019 New York

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by Melancholybaby, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Melancholybaby

Melancholybaby Well-Known Member

2. Melancholybaby

3. Melancholybaby

4. Melancholybaby

5. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

I wish he'd just merge his label with CK and call it a day!

Really like the knee-length shift dresses, but that's it. Not a lot to see for men, and I wish he focused more on knitwear, which is his strength. It's a very lazy offering imo, and for those who like this sort of thing, best stay tuned for the expert translation during LFW.
    I must wonder whether what the loyal CK customer make of this? Because I've certainly jumped ship after his 2nd collection.

Moxie Remon and ghostwriter10549 like this.
  6. Melancholybaby

^Most of his S/S 2018 stuff were discounted at 60 and 70% here, I doubt his 324935WNyc sells that well. $300 pom poms anyone?

Benn98 likes this.
  7. chanelh

chanelh Active Member

i miss Raf at Dior, somehow, i like his vision and idea when executed by highly sophisticated craftsmanship
    this....just looks cheap and lazy

Moxie Remon, Nomar and Benn98 like this.
  8. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

It’s a beautiful show in a sense that the set , the choreography and the color palette worked well together.

It’s a little bit complicated when it comes to the clothes. I see lady-like, scuba-diving and graduation attire but he never really explored it, he just styled them together. It’s very literal and it looks gimmicky. He is not Riccardo, Miuccia or Nicolas (who did fantastic collection inspired by scuba-diving) but he could have tried harder.

I really like the pumps and the looks on Liya and Miss Tennant but this is quite boring tbh.
    And the DEVO look? Ahahaha

I think that he created that customer as CK collection never really had a relevance IRL.
    According to figures, CK is doing well but when you go to the boutiques or department stores to see the runway stuff , it’s really for a specific crowd.
    Calvin Klein is not really a name that make people dream when they think about HF. But the menswear is solid.

Raf could have done Helmut Lang. I don’t feel like his work at CK will have that much impact overtime because this is a real commercial machine where the HF part is almost non-existent. His vision would have been more impactful at Helmut. It’s smaller, easier to control and the connection is much more obvious...

9. RaisinBoy

RaisinBoy Active Member

What an eyesore! This is a mess.

Benn98 likes this.
  10. Pricciao

Pricciao Well-Known Member

His middle age crisis is lovely. The only thing is it's just up to Jeremy Scott's ally, so trashy that any attention being freaking given is freaking waste of brain cells.

11. whippie

whippie Well-Known Member

Didn't Prada do those ugly sack dresses already last season??

12. YohjiAddict

YohjiAddict Well-Known Member

Pale offering for the most part with tons of random and capricious garments that do nothing to flatter the wearer. The best example would be those skirts that look like the abused love child of CdG's floral armors and Helmut's wrestler chic S/S 04. Who would want to wear that?

He excels at easy clean separates but things always take a turn for the absurd once he starts messing with the costruction/embellishment. Did he learn anything from Dior? I like Sara's last look but that fringe detail does nothing for it, those knee lenght dresses could do without the harness and I could go on and on.

The thrown at last minute theme of this mess was academia and he's got a C- to show for it.

13. GivenchyAddict

GivenchyAddict Well-Known Member

With what we have so far from the other brands, I take this and will not complain too much. Most of the problem is about the styling - a bit too try hard. I am a sucker for scuba diving since Balenciaga spring summer 2001 show. The set really helped to like the show.

It is the first collection that I like from Raf since his tenure at CK but I will never buy it full price any of these items because they are not worth it imo but with some discount I'll buy a piece or two.

14. Ken Doll Jenner

Ken Doll Jenner Well-Known Member

Yes! I found myself trying to figure out what those dresses remind me of, because they do look rather similar to a certain collection. Thank you for pointing that out.

Overall, it's another misstep in Raf's CK tenure. I wish he would just release what he offered for resort because that collection is a million times better than this gimmicky mess. He seemed to take some notes from Katie Grand's recent styling at Prada, hence the confused, convoluted mixture of the moods and propositions. I actually love having Mortarboard as an accessory, but the way it was styled here feels both like an afterthought and a try-hard attempt at looking cool. I never thought that Simons would suffer from Maria Grazia Chiuri or Jeremy Scott-level literal interpretations. Just because you love "Jaws" doesn't mean that the only way to pay homage to the film is by slapping it onto a distressed shirt.

15. liberty33r1b

liberty33r1b Well-Known Member

best nyfw show so far I'll give him that

16. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Also SS 2009, it's actually a recurrent theme in her collections. I quite like them on women.

17. StoneSkipper

StoneSkipper Well-Known Member

Could he have tried any harder? I mean, it's better than last season, but that's not really saying much.Those shift dresses look odd and stiff in motion.

18. mistress_f

mistress_f Hell on Heels

Those wrinkly dresses remind me of prada. Everything else is forgettable at best

19. Vitamine W

Vitamine W Well-Known Member

Is he trying to armwrestle Miucca for the pretentious 'n ugly trophy? Its al just soo fugly and unnecessarily complicated while at the same literal and trivial af. Sharkbites with Jaws t-shirts, really Raf? Im sure the campaign will be accompanied by another pseudo intellectual justification, explaining the modernity behind this mess. Cant wait.

Benn98 and MyNameIs like this.
  20. disco54

disco54 Well-Known Member

What hideous clothes

HeatherAnne likes this.