Can Andy Warhol lend Levi's the right kind of cool?

^haha, Prince, right on as usual. :D

Sadly, there are right f*cking idiots everywhere... good thing there are also people like you to call them on their sh1t!

luckily i just found a bottle of jack daniels and a bag of peanuts.

Warhol Factory x Levis/ Adrian Nyman

I just posted an Interview I did to Adrian Nyman, the designer of Warhol Factory for Levis as well as Prix des Nation (a high end knit wear that was sold in Barney's tokyo and other high end retailers). You can find Warhol Factory in Barney's as well in other 30 high-end boutiques around the US. His jeans have appeared in many fashion magazines as well as in Gq's website.

I have also published his latest collection and his look book for fall 06'.

www.myfinewardrobe.blogspot.com

Levis is forgetting it's about the product - they've got to stop sprinkling on the pricey marketing like it's the secret sauce when they've relinquished control on the actual FIT of their jeans.

Levis' jeans are entirely produced in Mexico and overseas. It's full-package production which means that the entire product development is farmed out. This means that there's no consistency in fit of the jeans anymore and they've lost out - I went to the Levis store hoping for some classic 501s and they are no longer produced.

Considering the Levis store is on the busiest corner on my city and it's almost always nearly empty - they can't even sell their $60 jeans, never mind $400 jeans.

If Levis started to take some of that big old marketing money and PUT IT INTO THEIR PRODUCT they might be able to capture that market share. As it is the successors of the company have sold totally sold out what was once a great american brand and they've lost the AUTHENTICITY that made them a legend in the first place.

:angry:

I really, really disagree with this part:
"It's not as though a 17-year-old is going to know about Campbell's soup cans and Marilyn Monroe," said Peter Sealey, marketing professor at the University of California at Berkeley. But he thinks young people will respond to old iconic imagery in the same way they plaster James Dean posters in their dorm rooms

if anything, the Campbell's soup cans and Monroe silk screens are what makes Andy Warhol so famous/recognizable or cliche or *whatever*... if you don't know any other works by him, you'd at least know them.

So, an average 17 year old on the street might not know much about the Factory or any of his films or whathaveyou, but at the very least they can recognize the soup cans/marilyns/etc.

btw I love Andy but I would not buy anything with a Marilyn or soup can on it. ;P he has so much more work to choose from and it really bothers me that it seems people only want to look at those iconic ones and nothing else.

"It's not as though a 17-year-old is going to know about Campbell's soup cans and Marilyn Monroe," said Peter Sealey, marketing professor at the University of California at Berkeley. But he thinks young people will respond to old iconic imagery in the same way they plaster James Dean posters in their dorm rooms
Wow, whomever is in Marketing at Berkeley needs to transfer, ASAP. He's clueless, most 17-year-olds would know what the soup can and Marilyn are, Ive known them my whole life, I cant remember a time when I didnt know about his silkscreens.

He's such a moron. James Dean. Is really uncool. Like not even a little bit.

I need to take Marketing...Not from Berkeley though!

Alrighty, I saw some of this crap at the Levi's store in Soho (which BTW was empty on a Saturday afternoon), it was soo...I dont know, annoying? Like I cant imagine anyone stylish wearing one of thier denim jackets which is cut for marshmallow shaped people. Levi's is really stale. I hate when they try to be high fashion by having a pocket on the right of the butt, but no pocket on the other side, it makes your *** look lopsided...Which is what EVERYONE wants, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate Warhol. Talentless artist, his only talent was for marketing. He killed art and made it into a commercial garbage recepticle that the art scene is today. It's truly laughable and sad at the same time.

I hate Warhol too.:ninja:

But I'd love to see the person who would pay $300 for Levis with Mao on it.:huh:

sakina said:
I hate Warhol too.:ninja:

But I'd love to see the person who would pay $300 for Levis with Mao on it.:huh:

You lookin' for me? :lol:

070506_IMG_1343.jpg
innerprintfront_1164.jpg

I love Warhol for many reasons. I think he wittily translated the koan "the greatest is contained within the smallest" into an entire art movement which spawned thousands of DIY variations. It injected new life into an art world that was stifling in its inbred clubbiness. Yes, a lot of bad stuff gets created, too, but in my opinion it is worth it. I prefer art to be democratized. The cream will rise. :flower:

I'm not entirely convinced. I wish Levi's would concentrate on shipping long sizes of more of their styles to my local store instead. Now THAT would make me happy.

"...they plaster James Dean posters in their dorm rooms."

umm...

Anyway, i'd really like to see more of the actual clothing. As long as the prints aren't cliche Warhol, it may be kind of good (although I doubt it will be).

justinleaddict said:
Anyway, i'd really like to see more of the actual clothing. As long as the prints aren't cliche Warhol, it may be kind of good (although I doubt it will be).

Here's the print on the other side of the jeans I got:

innerprintrear_1163.jpg

George Washington opposite Mao, ha ha.

Another shot, from men.style.com:

levisxwarhol_121205v.jpg

^ You can see the silver better in that one.

There is also a denim jacket with the famous Marilyn screened on that I liked, but it seemed to be cut very wide; they were out of my size so can't say for sure.

All in all, I don't think most of the Factory X Levis stuff is that good, and it is definitely overpriced for what it is. If you want Warhol clothing, you are better off in general at The Warhol : Store.

tangerine said:
There is also a denim jacket with the famous Marilyn screened on that I liked, but it seemed to be cut very wide; they were out of my size so can't say for sure.
That's the one I was talking about, it was a very Levi's cut, very round, poofy sleeves.

Im so going to that Warhol site, thanks!

I wrote about it the other day. I also did an Interview to Adrian Nyman (the creative designer), as well as showing the look book for fall 06.

Just log on to www.myfinewardrobe.com and read it.

faust said:
I hate Warhol. Talentless artist, his only talent was for marketing. He killed art and made it into a commercial garbage recepticle that the art scene is today. It's truly laughable and sad at the same time.

:woot:
wow.
he killed art.
i didn't know.

i gotta go buy cigarettes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robert0199
Back