Andy Warhol & The Factory

Finally, Candy Darling looking extremely glamourous ,as usual, in "Women in revolt" (1971).

source: my screencaps

thank you for these. the last ones are so gorgeous! candy darling is one of my favorites superstars, she's the most beautiful transsexual i've ever seen

I watched Factory Girl, and I'm very intrigued about how this group functions. When Edie wanted to get paid by Andy, it made me think that this was just a social group who didn't get paid to do anything. They were like "professional" socialites.
Andy used her up, got her hooked on bad things, and then dismissed her. He never paid her anything but $50. What a cheap bastard. Ugly inside and out.

you should not believe that movie at all, everything in it is wrong.

Andy didn´t hook her up on bad things, Edie did that herself, she did that before she came to New York.

Last edited by a moderator:
you should not believe that movie at all, everything in it is wrong.

Andy didn´t hook her up on bad things, Edie did that herself, she did that before she came to New York.

I was just thinking about that. Didnt some people who had known her even protest about the movie?

Last edited by a moderator:
well, as Lou Reed said: "Factory Girl is a wh*re."

I rather believe him, than some director who didn´t even bother to read Edie:American Girl.

While not directly fashion related, I feel like this article is very pertinent to this thread.

While I'm not out to force my opinion of Mr. Warhol himself on anyone, I think he was a very misunderstood man. He was a savvy businessman, as he had to be; he was talented but no genius, and wasn't born rich or beautiful. He fought his way to the top, and it'd be impossible to make it as far as he did in life without upsetting someone. And as beautiful, stylish, and fascinating as his Factory "products" were, there were just as many fame hungry and opportunistic hanger-ons as there were broken and ill beauties. While he may have taken advantage of some, I'd be willing to be that many of them tell the tales they do now out of a tinge of jealousy and bitterness.

Andy used her up, got her hooked on bad things, and then dismissed her. He never paid her anything but $50. What a cheap bastard. Ugly inside and out.

well that movie was exploitative of Edie and to be honest there were many inaccuracies.Andy may have used her like many but Edie used him as well.If it weren't for Andy putting her in the spotlight which lead to her getting her name in the papers then how would we know of her now. I do hate the fact that he never paid her but she had loads of money that she spent on clothes, jewels and limo services. When she first went to New York to live in her grandmother's apartment, she spent money like crazy and was warned many times by her family and accountant. Many people went to the Factory wanting to be exploited by Andy though I'm not saying Edie wanted to be exploited. She was taking drugs since she was a teenager thanks to her parents and stayed at the Factory to escape the sadness of two of her brothers dying within 10 months. Her association with the Warhol scene disadvantaged her though like Vogue refusing to sign her by the time she was a heroin addict. From what I have read many people wanted to save her and many people turned her against Andy, but ultimately her departure from the scene was when she realized the things people had told her for instance that she was gonna be the next Marilyn Monroe and some deal with the Dylan camp never fell through she immersed herself into harder drugs. Can't blame Andy for that really.

i'll add some pics i came across. hope we haven't seen them. :flower:

Andy Warhol at Silver Factory NY 1965

jonnaar.com

strangeharvest.com

andywarholsilverfactory.jpg

designrightnow.net

velvet2large0156007.png

rockhall.com

artworkimages4240453843.jpg

artnet.com

the one of the velvets playing and ari in the middle is really cool, thank you!

Casting Guy Pearce as Andy Warhol was a brilliant decision because they both look so alike! :woot: Other than Factory Girl, are there any really good movies about The Factory?

there's i shot andy warhol - an "underground" movie - that actually is not about factory, but it happens there

The Story of Ingrid Superstar...according to Rene Ricard, poet & artist, Andy's people found Ingrid Von Scheflin (a Manhattan office temp) in a 42nd street bar. Andy's people wanted to teach Edie a lesson. They were furious with her for not cooperating. "Doesn't this girl look like an ugly Edie? Let's teach her a lesson. Let's make a movie with her & tell Edie she's the big, new star. They cut her hair like Edie's. They made her up like Edie. She was Ingrid Superstar...just an invention to make Edie feel horrible. The Mystery of Ingrid. According to Ultra Violet "Ingrid retired to Kingston, NY, ballooned up to nearly 200 lbs., floated in & out of prostitution & drug dealing & was at one point judged mentally disabled...she went out to buy a pack a cigarettes & a newspaper, leaving her fur coat in the closet & her false teeth in the sink. She was never seen again.
After her disappearance, Ingrid's mother took out an ad in the newspaper with a message to her missing daughter - asking her to come back so we can play "Morning Dew" without feeling sad.edie & ingrid -shore5 vogue com.jpg

ingrid french actress martine barat & andy at party for nico warholstars org.jpg

ingrid isnf66 warholstars org.jpg Source: Pic 1 - vogue.com Pic 2 & 3 - warholstars.org

i looooooove ingrid superstar! i even have a myspace fan page for her. she was so great, she used to make the funniest faces :heart: i wonder what happened to her after she disappeared. i guess she's dead by now

No one knows.....Then there was poor Freddy Herko who danced right out the window at the Factory. And Penny Arcade. And Laura Rubin who took so many great pics of the Factory Folk before Andy even knew them. doomed FreddyHerko roxio -thumb dancer  sailed out the window - warpedrealitymagazine com.png

alan-aldridge- roxio 3 dezeen com.jpg

ingrid  roxio french actress martine barat & andy at party for nico warholstars org.jpg

penny arcade roxio  cropped  fuckyeahthefactory tumblr com.jpg

Laura Rubin roxio2  1967-  warholstars org.jpg Sources: Pic 1- Freddie Herko - warpedrealitymagazine.com Pic 2 - Alan Aldridge designed the Chelsea Girls poster - Claire Shenstone was the model - dezeen.com Pic 3 - Ingrid Superstar, French actress Martine Barat & Andy at Nico's party - warholstars.org Pic 4 - Penny Arcade - photo by Laura Rubin - ****yeahthefactory.tumblr.com Pic 5 - Photographer Laura Rubin 1967 - warholstars.org

Andy Warhol

I have search all over for a specific Andy thread, to no avail.
Apologies if there is one - please merge :wink:

To begin with, an Andy documentary from the bbc - its quite good :flower:

too bad i can't watch it, but thanks for the link anyway ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LolaC888
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->