Carey Mulligan

At JFK Airport on May 5, 2019.

D2KeSye.jpg

celebskart.com​

Carey Mulligan attends The 2019 Met Gala Celebrating Camp: Notes on Fashion at Metropolitan Museum of Art on May 06, 2019 in New York City.

ES3mrZL.jpg

7JUJlFK.jpg

4pLYCmr.jpg

zimbio.com

Carey Mulligan arrives at JFK Airport on May 7, 2019 in New York City.

n5lmOxL.jpg

In New York on May 7, 2019.

p20FS4U.jpg

In New York on May 6, 2019.

2V1qclC.jpg

gotceleb.com, dailymail.co.uk​

In London on May 24, 2019.

()
dailymail.co.uk​

Carey Mulligan attends BVLGARI - The Story, The Dream on June 25, 2019 in Rome, Italy.

mCfkejo.jpg

7vvsMQw.jpg

dailymail.co.uk

Carey Mulligan attends the Bvlgari Serpenti Seduttori launch at the Roundhouse on September 15, 2019 in London, England.

SNimQ0i.jpg

bulgari.com

Carey Mulligan seen attending My Grandparents' War - TV screening/Q&A at May Fair Hotel on November 11, 2019 in London, England.

lJU01e0.jpg

djt3trh.jpg

dailymail.co.uk, wireimage.com​

Carey Mulligan attends the Alzheimer's Society's "Carols At Christmas" hosted by Carey Mulligan at Southwark Cathedral on December 18, 2019 in London, England.

Z7SioDF.jpg

OZgDM0s.jpg

justjared.com

Carey Mulligan attends the 2020 Sundance Film Festival - "Promising Young Woman" Premiere at The Marc Theatre on January 25, 2020 in Park City, Utah.

8l6aLsy.jpg

tzX27KD.jpg

LXqr3LR.jpg

Carey Mulligan of 'Promising Young Woman' attends the Pizza Hut x Legion M Lounge during Sundance Film Festival on January 25, 2020 in Park City, Utah.

pphW3Se.jpg

Carey Mulligan of 'Promising Young Woman' attends the IMDb Studio at Acura Festival Village on location at the 2020 Sundance Film Festival – Day 2 on January 25, 2020 in Park City, Utah.

xag65of.jpg

Rt4TqQN.jpg

aJV6xYE.jpg

y1E7e4T.jpg

zimbio.com, wireimage.com

Actress Carey Mulligan walks on Main Street on January 26, 2020 in Park City, Utah

fttSIIK.jpg

usweekly.com

In London on March 10, 2020.

GgVPcD4.jpg

bellazon.com

Porter by Net-A-Porter
April 6, 2020

Less Is More
Model Carey Mulligan
Photographer Rory Payne
Styling Cathy Kasterine

An accomplished star of stage and screen, CAREY MULLIGAN leads a notably private existence away from the spotlight. Here, the British actor talks to AJESH PATALAY about her latest film project, Promising Young Woman, lifelong friendships and why what you see is what you get.

“I have always wanted to be in a rom-com,” muses Carey Mulligan. Her admission comes as something of a surprise, given the nature of the actor’s previous screen credits – from the suicidal sister of a sex addict in Shame to a radicalized laundry woman in Suffragette. But, apparently, she means it: “I’ve been campaigning for [Love Actually rom-com legend] Richard Curtis to write me something for about 10 years!” she reveals.

The day we meet, Mulligan is dressed soberly in a baggy navy knit, wide-leg black pants and an oversized brown coat. We’re having coffee at a west London members’ club where the actor is a regular, and she looks relaxed and cheery, having “jogged” part of the way here so she wouldn’t be late. She has a place around the corner, but only comes to London for work, spending most of her time at the Devon farmhouse she shares with her musician husband Marcus Mumford [lead singer of Mumford & Sons] and their two children, Evelyn, four, and Wilfred, two.

Mulligan’s rom-com revelation is relevant because the 34-year-old might initially have thought she had landed one with Promising Young Woman, a movie penned and directed by Killing Eve showrunner Emerald Fennell. “It’s funny, because the reaction I first had when I read the script was, ‘This is soooo romantic’,” she says, almost swooning. “There’s this gorgeous ’80s rom-com in there, with this really believable relationship in the middle of it.” Underpinning it, however, is a black comedy about revenge, sexual assault and toxic masculinity.

The themes look set to make it the talking-point movie of the year. Despite its comedic trappings, the story is rooted in the conversations about consent that have arisen out of the #MeToo and Time’s Up movements in recent years. Mulligan’s character, Cassie, who has a traumatic backstory, leads a double life that sees her going to bars pretending to be paralytically drunk in order to lure men who try to take advantage of her when she clearly couldn’t possibly provide consent. Mulligan says the film’s scenarios deepened her own understanding of the issues.

“Emerald was very deliberate about not putting anything in the film that we haven’t seen in a rom-com or bro-comedy in the past 20 years,” she says. “Emerald’s [point] was: if [you] take someone home and they are really drunk, and then that person reveals they are not drunk, and you feel guilty, then you know what you are doing isn’t right. What we reflected on, making this film, was the amount of real-life stories like this we know. A lot of this film is stuff that pretty much every woman I know has experienced in some way.”

Given the movie’s focus, talk turns to the changes that Mulligan has witnessed in her own industry on the back of #MeToo. “The first concrete measure I saw was doing a play at the Royal Court called Girls & Boys. They gave us a document that was a code of conduct. It was funny because I was the only person in the play,” she recalls. “But the director, the assistant director and writer, we all had to read and sign it. I had never had that in my career. If that had been going on when I started at 18, it would have felt different. Now, I really think it would be wild for something to happen on set. No one would turn a blind eye.”

After Fennell sent her the script of Promising Young Woman, Mulligan jumped on board almost immediately, impressed by the writer-director’s strength of vision. “Her confidence really stands out,” says the actor. “I remember sitting with her here and she said, ‘I want to shoot in LA’. Every [indie film] I’ve done was shot in Oklahoma or Louisiana or somewhere random, because it’s cheaper. So, I was like, ‘Cool, I’ll see you in LA’, but expecting to end up in the middle of nowhere. And, sure enough, we shot in LA.”

For the “irritatingly talented” Fennell, who is currently working on a new stage version of Cinderella with Andrew Lloyd Webber, Mulligan has nothing but praise. She even burst into tears at a joint photo call at the Sundance Film Festival because she was “genuinely overwhelmed by love and pride” for her friend. The pair first worked together as actors in the 1997 TV drama Trial & Retribution, though neither remembers the other (“we were blinded by fear”). They met again two Christmases ago at a friend’s house. “[Fennell] was on her way to the Killing Eve wrap party and wearing these amazing trousers. I was like, f***, she’s so cool,” recalls Mulligan.

Their closeness echoes another key theme of the movie – the endurance of friendship. It’s something Mulligan recognizes in her personal life, too. “My female friendships have become increasingly important – particularly the ones with friends I made when I was 14 at school. It’s something about doing stages of life together and supporting each other,” she says. “Every year, we do our birthdays together, because all our birthdays are within six days of one another. It’s great.”

It’s with her closest friends that she can share her fears, too, particularly around “the exposure of the industry, being talked about, Twitter and all that stuff”. Mulligan is notoriously private about her home life. She hates being photographed and doesn’t enjoy red carpets. “When I’m on the red carpet, whatever I’m wearing, I am ultimately myself,” she says. “People say, ‘Pretend you’re Cate Blanchett’. And I do go to red carpets thinking, ‘Be Blanchett. Try and be cool. Smiling with your eyes’, but it doesn’t work.” Does Cate Blanchett smile with her eyes, I ask? “She smiles, but she has this amazing smile that is just her eyes,” Mulligan confirms. When I ask her to show me, she blushes. “I can’t, I can’t. So unfair!”

The actor also hates the idea of being onstage and being able to spot people she knows in the audience. Ahead of performing the one-woman play Girls & Boys in 2018, Andrew Scott (aka Fleabag’s ‘hot priest’) offered her some advice on doing a monologue, saying how important it was to look the audience in the eye. Mulligan ignored him (“No, Andrew, you’re the better actor”) and insisted on being so heavily lit that she couldn’t see a soul. It was a nice surprise, then, to learn after one performance that Gloria Steinem and Nicole Kidman had been in the stalls and were coming backstage to say hello. “It was the greatest evening of my life,” Mulligan smiles. “I took a photo with Gloria Steinem. I never take photos with anyone. She was so lovely, so warm.”

Mulligan had actually been scheduled to play Steinem in a biopic directed by Mudbound’s Dee Rees. If the financing hadn’t fallen through, it would have joined a roster of her screen projects that are directed by women and have a strong feminist tone. “I was so excited to make Suffragette and think that one day my daughter will watch this, but I equally like that my son will,” she says. “Parity” is the word she uses to describe how she hopes to raise both her son and daughter. Right now, the day-to-day experience of being a mother of two is about being “more tired” and “very grown-up”, which seems to suit her.

“One part of Promising Young Woman that really struck me was that, for the last couple of years, I have been playing moms,” she muses. “I was a mother in Mudbound, I had a 14-year-old in Wildlife. And then I read this script where I am working in a coffee shop and have no dependents.” Did it make her nostalgic for single life? “Noooo,” she cries. “In fact, every time we stepped into a new bar set, Emerald and I would both be like, ‘God, we haven’t been in a bar in a really long time’. And I’m very glad of that.”

Promising Young Woman is out later this year
net-a-porter

Vogue Australia May 2020

Carey On

Photographer: Josh Olins
Stylist: Christine Centenara
Hair: Shon Ju
Makeup: Petros Petrohilos
Manicure: Jenny Longworth
Cast: Carey Mulligan

Vogue Australia Digital Edition

Carey Mulligan Swears By This $189 Facial Massager

tN3H2Hh.png

We photographed Carey Mulligan in Paris on March 2, days before the world as we knew it came to a screeching halt. Strolling along the Seine river in colorful looks from Coach, Gucci, and Louis Vuitton, the British actress wasn’t daunted by chilly temps (she sported a hot-pink Chanel cropped top in 39 degrees like a champ). When it rained, she ducked into Café Louis Philippe, our home base for the day, before heading to the renowned Berthillon ice-cream shop for an afternoon treat.

Once the skies cleared, we headed to the Eiffel Tower for our last shot, a pre-quarantine moment that Mulligan appreciates now more than ever. “There were huge crowds of people traveling to see the monument that day, and all of that has more poignancy now,” she says. “I suppose when it’s all taken away, we see things differently. It’s a privilege.”

We asked our cover star to share what's getting her through quarantine, from a fittingly-titled book—It’s Not OK to Feel Blue (and Other Lies)—and La Mer face masks to the destination she dreams of visiting when travel resumes. Here are 13 of her favorite things.

Skincare Saviors
"iS Clinical everything and Joanna Czech's face roller."

qndGn2Y.png

iS Clinical Cleansing Complex: $44; dermstore.com
Joanna Czech Facial Massager: $189; joannaczech.com

Home Essential
"Diptyque's Baies candle."

zRQbMop.png

https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/diptyque-baies-berries-candle/3227984

Signature Shades
"YSL sunglasses."

YDNblSN.png

https://shop.nordstrom.com/c/womens-sunglasses-shop/filter/saint-laurent~brand_8767

Dream Destination
"Le Coucou in Méribel, France."

6SAxog6.png

Top Shopping Spot
"Couverture & The Garbstore in London."

bsMwnIf.png

Lip MVP
"Glossier lip balm."

1eJjGrd.png

Balm Dotcom – Glossier

Best Bag
"Loewe's little mini crossbody."