Carolyn Bessette Kennedy

Peppi, I disagree.

The ability to dress well does not necessarily mean one is classy.

I guess that's true..

well, she dressed classy at least.

A great Article from Ultimate Carolyn.

Narcisco Rodriguez interview by Maya Singer for Vouge Magazine

I’m guessing your archives are rather extensive. Did collating all that stuff lead you to any big-picture revelations about your work?

I saw how the work evolved, how the person evolved, how the craft has evolved. I saw things I liked. And I saw a lot of clunkers. I saw everything. When you research a book like this, you have to go into every box, every sketchbook. I saw a consistency, and that made me happy. Not to sound hokey, or, I don’t know—rehearsed—but I think my work has managed, consistently, to draw on my profound respect for women. I remember, when I was thinking about launching my own house, having this conversation with Carolyn [Bessette Kennedy] about wanting to celebrate a woman’s beauty. And really, this whole time, that’s been the goal. Simple, but it brought me a lot of joy to see that goal reflected over ten years of archives.

You’ve put a few of your own photos of Carolyn Bessette Kennedy on her wedding day in the book. Do you think you’ll ever have the opportunity to design a dress that iconic again?
Well, I never say never. But that dress… It was a moment, I was blessed to be a part of it, and I find it hard to imagine another moment like that one coming around again. But for me, you know, I don’t really see the cultural moment when I look at those photos—I see Carolyn, and it’s very personal and sweet. I miss her. She was such a great fashion icon, but to me she was simply one of the dearest friends I ever had. When you’re that close to someone, they don’t go away. And I love it when people say, ‘Oh, you did Carolyn’s dress’—I love that phrase, because it means people are remembering her, too. The public Carolyn, perhaps, and not my Carolyn, but still.

Green%2BPrada.jpg

Carolyn's Green Plaid Prada Coat
From Ultimate Carolyn

can someone post pictures of her wedding gown? it was so beautiful :smile:

she was such an amazing woman, stunning and her style and looks are so unique ...
i think i have never seen another woman as striking as her.

Ok, on the topic of books, I just finished reading "Four Blondes" by Candace Bushnell. As a gossip-monger for anything to do with CBK, there is no way that Platinum (a character in the book) is not based on Carolyn Bessette Kennedy. Regardless of how I feel about the gossip that has come out in recent years (after her death), this character has every aspect of Carolyn's life. For example, supposedly Carolyn broke into Michael Bergin's apt after they broke up and smashed his TV in a fit of rage (that's what his book says anyway). "Platinum", the character in Bushnell's book, did the same thing to an ex-lover. That's just one of the similarities. And Bushnell wrote this book well before Bergin's cheesy memoir was published, so it's not as if Bushnell read about it and then incorporated it into her book. , Candace Bushnell, who I can't stand (but I'll still read her stuff :rolleyes: ) claims the character is not based on CBK but come on! Anybody else read it and care to contribute? The character is just too close to everything about CBK.

I read "Four Blondes" as well and I definitely see the similarities between the two! The character may not have been Carolyn to a T but Bushnell had to have gotten some inspiration from her...

From an la times interview-

Atlanta, Ga.: I would like to know if any of your stories (Platinum) are inspired by the late Carolyn Bessette-Kennedy? Eerie coincidence if not? Candace Bushnell: I would say eerie coincidence. With that character I was really thinking about -- it was a little more like a princess Di character. It's the idea of a woman who would marry a prince. And that character, it's not you and me. She's not an "every girl." But it's a character that fascinates us, like a historical character almost.

I do see the similarities though...and Bushnell dated Bergin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ktkees1
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->