Carolyn Bessette Kennedy

She reminds me of Sarah Jessica Parker for some reason. I want to read that memoir by her husband's cousin's wife, who was bestfriends with Carolyn. Does anyone know what Im talking about?? Has anyone read it? Cant recallt he name at the moment, but there was a review in Vogue a couple months ago. :smile:

I guess people like Carolyn for her style not so much of what she is as a person, granted she was only been seen in public for a short while.

Also, Carolyn took Jackie O's style of clothing and took it to the present day. That's why she has been deemed the most watched woman in the 90's. Actually, her style in clothes has been a staple of Manhattan women like myself. It's just that we are not photographed on a daily basis for the world to see. Carolyn, on the other hand, showed the world that. B)

luvkoshi said:
wow- everyone luvs this woman. i guess she really was special. the thing i admire about her most is how she managed to be cutting edge and under-stated at the same time. seems like a contradiction, but, with her, it wasn't. Jackie O was very good at this too.
Anyone think of a current girl with this talent?

A big deal of her style was her persistency on simple things that looked great on her. She knew her body and she never tried to show too much skin or to squeeze into a size too small. She knew her colours and she wore her hair as an everyday jewel. She simplified and then simplified a bit more, that´s a rare gift, to know when to stop primping and accesorizing, changing and being modern. Her body and her regal and icy poise were her real asset, she wore clothes to accentuate that. Not too many people apreciate this style nowadays.

She was elusive, always looking as somebody who belongs somewhere else. Mystery always adds allure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the wedding pic where he is kissing her hand.
So romantic, and both look soooo happy!

I :heart: her smile :wub:

(sc)

Attachments

• k_carolynbessette.jpg
    k_carolynbessette.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 1,010
DP Woman-

I read that book.

I read it initially because I was just obsessed with her when she was alive; thought she had great style but mainly because she was an imperfect beauty (not that it was so imperfect that it was attainable - i mean, she was gorgeous - but her style and beauty could inspire me to reach an understanding that looking nice (nice hair, taking care of your skin, body, etc., can do wonders; you don't have to be cindy crawford but as long as you look good) is a major factor.

anyway, re: the book - i initially (like the first 30 pages) was just annoyed with everything in that book. i felt like she was cashing in on her friendship with them, it was written under the guise of losing her friends and husband and her struggle to deal with it but it turned out to be yet another piece on how "special' carolyn bessette was (if you read articles, everybody who knew her claimed that she was just "special" which is kind of annoying after awhile), etc. I also thought her writing style was very cliched, etc.

BUT - after i got past the first 1/4 of the book, i completely changed my mind. I actually cried at the end of the book. This woman wrote something so powerful about being a mate to somebody who died young (anthony radziwill) and losing other people who were close to her at a young age. it was really profound, i thought. she also wrote in detail about her husbands treatments and it was just really, really incredible. it made me realize how lucky i am to not have to deal with that, and also how some people are judged (just as i did) was too early.

honestly, i recommend the book. it was incredible. an a quick read - i finished it in a weekend because i couldn't put it down.

Liz5 said:
DP Woman-

I read that book.

I read it initially because I was just obsessed with her when she was alive; thought she had great style but mainly because she was an imperfect beauty (not that it was so imperfect that it was attainable - i mean, she was gorgeous - but her style and beauty could inspire me to reach an understanding that looking nice (nice hair, taking care of your skin, body, etc., can do wonders; you don't have to be cindy crawford but as long as you look good) is a major factor.

what a thoughtful review. thanks for sharing. :flower:
i read interviews with the author - she is an example of the cbk approach to beauty that you described. compare pics of her from the book, and pics of her now, for interviews - she looks stunning now.
it's almost amazing how very modern and cool cbk's style looks now, even though it's so old. it makes me wonder what she would have been doing today, style-wise, that might have then endured another decade.

HiHeels said:
it's almost amazing how very modern and cool cbk's style looks now, even though it's so old. it makes me wonder what she would have been doing today, style-wise, that might have then endured another decade.

I wonder as well... :( she had perfect style! unforgetable!

I'm glad someone made a thread about CBK. I also loved her style. It was so casual but you know she spent hours perfecting it. I read that smarmy book by Michael Bergin (The Other Man) who supposedly had an affair with her after she was married to JKF Jr. Kinda made me feel dirty just reading it. lol Anyhow, I love her style, she is truly one of the top fashion icons of all time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hyannisport

Attachments

• 1995 09 03 Hyannisport 08.jpg
    1995 09 03 Hyannisport 08.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 29
i flipped through the whole thread this morning and was struck by how cool her jeans look, and they aren't remotely trendy like today's over the top styles with intricate details, etc. anyone know what brand she wore? i love how they aren't lowrise. i don't she ever would have worn that style (but we'll never know).
i read somewhere that her lipstick was by bobbi brown. funny how much she makes me want to have some piece of her - same lipstick, something. as if her cool could rub off.

I don't really think of the 90's as "the past", though? Then we'd have to move Elizabeth Hurley there, too, lol.

kylie80 said:
shouldnt thread be moved to icons from the past?

i don't think her style/impact is confined by the 90s, or defined by it, as many posters here have observed.

kylie80 said:
Must just be me but I equate past with dead. :blush:

but there are icons of the 90s who are alive and considered part of the past. an icon of the 90s is someone who represents that decade, is restricted in some way to it. i guess you could start a post of dead icons, but that seems unpleasant. certainly for her fans who are posting here, cbk is alive as an influence and inspiration still.

^^ I get what you are saying and I agree :flower: I just thought of dead and past as one :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryJC
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->