Catwalk Trends F/W 08.09

* loose fabric attached to the clothes
* charcoal

Lots of zip front mini dresses, a la Christopher Kane a few season back.

FUR OVERTHOSE (i have said that in another thread already i just cant remember where)

not that i am against it or anything, but isnt thre just TOO MUCH... i have yet to see a show that isnt using the smallest bit of it, do you think there will be any in the weeks to come?? (Stella McCartney doesnt count :P)

- hats, all types
- belted, open layers (see DVF for best example)
- oversized lapels on coats; eccentric outerwear in general. Oddly proportioned, podlike shapes.
- 2 scarves for men
- exaggerated colors - sky blue & apricot seems to be a popular combination.
- Long cardigans
- Separates, separates, separates. Everything is piled on and layered bizarrely.
- Knit vests
- Short, puffed sleeve jackets (for what else? Layering, and usually worn open with a skinny belt)
- Boxy dresses, coats, and blazers. A bit ungainly.

Mood:
- hobo chic, ramshackle grunge.
- somber, joyless (better grab 3 layers for protection)

ELLE ON PRE-FALL TRENDS THAT SEEM TO ALSO REFLECT FOR FW08/09

New Trends:

Russian Royalty
Yet another powerful style statement emerges with Cossak hats and Soviet style coats and suits. This includes Donna Karan’s Russian Doll inspired outfit with short double breasted jacket and pencil skirt. Lanvin’s Cossak zip up coat, shapeless yet stylish and Versace’s black and grey go anywhere Russian-look wide pants and polo neck. The Cossack theme is heavily accentuated in men’s fashion for fall-winter 2008 too.

Rich Velvets
Sleek, soft rich velvet in back with simple line knee-length and maxi dresses and bubble skirts in beiges, inky blues and classic black.

Shaggy Furs
A big hit is likely to be the muppet and yeti inspired three quarter length shaggy fur jackets and coats, reminiscent of the height of the '60s and '70s. Chloe, Donna Karan and Missoni all get in on the act.

Equestrian Chic
Riding boots and jodpurs provide inspiration for fall’s beige pants and cropped leather jackets. Dolce and Gabbana and Lucca Lucca both offer classic, chic and wearable combinations, with a slight masculine feel.

Monastic Monochromes
A somber, monastic look is set to be a keynote statement, including Louis Vuitton’s long black governess style skirt and puritan blouse and Balenciaga's austere black jacket and long split maxi skirt.

Oriental Origami
A taste of Japan with Oscar De La Renta’s origami pleats and folds and Roland Mouret’s grey suited origami inspired breast pockets.

Continuing Trends:

The '70s Look
Wide pants are here to stay, with turnups, flares and pleats. Bill Blass’s very wearable short cropped jacket and sweeping matching trousers will take you from business to bar with ease. Blouses are ***** bowed or edged with retro-look cravats.

The Maxi Skirt
A firm favorite for covering a multitude of shin, the maxi dress and skirt is still with us for fall 2008, Having emerged in early 2007 it’s popularity is providing value for money in the fashion stakes. Chloe’s chic boho skirt with asymmetric lines teamed with slouchy boots, and Nina Ricca Gatsby inspired 30’s pieces are sure to be a winner.

Over the coming weeks more runway trends for fall and winter will emerge but already we are seeing some powerful women's fashion themes and influences for the latter part of this year

Last edited by a moderator:
still a bit early but lots of yellow! esp yellow dresses

Marc by Marc Jacobs
00090m.jpg
00530m.jpg

Matthew Williamson
00160m.jpg
00350m.jpg

Betsey Johnson
00030m.jpg
00450m.jpg

Carolina Herrera
00010m.jpg
00310m.jpg

00360m.jpg

Behnaz Sarafpour
00290m.jpg
00310m.jpg

style.com

Two more themes:
- Renaissance
- Punk rock femininity

Fabrics:
- tweed
- chiffon
- velvet
- knits, some deconstructed (see Rodarte for prime example)

Accents:
- boucle
- sequin touches
- trapunto
- tortoise patent accessories
- lace
- bows

When all else fails, put a skinny belt on & you'll look current.

transparency trend continues
&
bomber jackets & vests return.

Outerwear as innerwear. The statement coats get more eccentric.

Economic Recession FW08

Out of the 12 runway review videos that have been posted on style.com yet, i would say 90% of them mention whether economic recession (which we all might be affected by in near future) is having an effect or not on each collection.
Given what we've seen in other decades of slower growth i think many of us could have expected the usual minimalism that defined them, and yet, i think designers are confidently showing exactly the opposite.
Everyone who was interviewed on the subject stressed how brave it is to give embellishments more importance than ever, and work with richer fabrics, and use the most luxurious materials, showing that even if there was economic recession, the market is strong enough to stand it.
Surprisingly enough, even the most minimal shows we've seen so far (which would be Halston and Calvin Klein, imo) were praised for the use of rich fabrics.
I start this thread as a "trend spotting" because i truly believe that the economic situation has a very direct effect on what we see in the runways and, ultimately, in stores, and above all, because i'd love to hear what's your opinion on the matter!

I couldnt find a thread discussing this topic, if there is one, please merge them (i just wanted to give my point of view on the subject!:(blush::flower:

Hermès Orange F/W 08.09

Saw a photograph of Victoria Beckham the other day wearing bright orange at New York fashion week:
victoriabeckham.jpg

In fact, she matched the Hermès logo which isn't exactly foreign to her........
logo_hermes.jpg

And seeing several of the collections, she must've been matching a few of the outfits there; slow down Mrs Beckham! We haven't left Winter 2007-2008 yet!!
BrightOrange.png

London was all about frills and textures... all sizes, shapes, intensities...

Trends Fall 08

NY fashion week was all about simple and sexy masculin!
Fall 08 Marc Jacobs knitwear and shiny suits, Jenni Kayne trousers and tuxedo style jackets, Bill Blass, Calvin Klein and even Zac Posen in a very sexy and sequined way!! Great shows!!!:heart:

Delicate Victorian-esque lace and lace prints

Lace.png

(all images from Vogue.com)

:heart::heart:

Very very sharp and random cuts and tons of velvet.

Russian Royalty
Yet another powerful style statement emerges with Cossak hats and Soviet style coats and suits. This includes Donna Karan’s Russian Doll inspired outfit with short double breasted jacket and pencil skirt. Lanvin’s Cossak zip up coat, shapeless yet stylish and Versace’s black and grey go anywhere Russian-look wide pants and polo neck. The Cossack theme is heavily accentuated in men’s fashion for fall-winter 2008 too.

Wowowowowowwo! Loving that trend and can totally see it! Stella McCartney actually did a Romanov Eagle on one of her pieces (unless it was German/Austrian?), Alexander McQueen did fantastic velvet military jackets like the Imperial Guards.
Loving that trend totally!!

(btw, sorry for that huge 'Hermes Orange' post a few posts up, it was meant to be a new topic in the trends thread)

So these past few weeks I've read a lot of reviews but also posts here at tFS talking about the 'new austerity'. Now this must be a language barrier here, but I have no idea what it is. Could someone explain? Thanks :D

^^^Good question. Perhaps the phrase is referring to the "austere fashion past" meaning vintage, from a certain era such as during WWII, now done in a modern way--austere, yet modern. OR perhaps it refers to the trend of severe silhouettes done with modern fabrics. Also, there appears to be a severity to hair styles-- I saw a lot of tight, sleek buns this season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->