Chanel Haute Couture F/W 2023.24 Paris

The production reminds of the show at Piscine Keller (FW2000 HC) and the soundtrack is almost the same as the SS2001 HC one…Which was the post-minimalism era of Karl.

I don’t mind the idea of Couture in the street. I quite like it. There’s no need to recreate a set if it won’t make sense with the clothes or with the intention. I don’t think there’s any intention behind this anyway.

It's not all bad this time. The first 20 or so looks were quite good, like the opening coat and the skirt suit with ruffled chiffon cuffs and hems dyed to look like feathers. The cream coloured suit in a kind of nubby wool boucle will probably be an expensive, cosy delight to wear. The bridal gown had a kind of '70s Jean Muir/Sarah Moon quality that I quite like.

But overall, the collection is frumpy, and it just doesn't have the lightness of couture.

Look like they saved a lot of money for choosing this venue, no?
I'm genuinely curious on how France is with permits for this kind of thing.. I wonder if it's as bureaucratic as they usually are or if they just suddenly lax on all the pedantic maneuvering and regulations because it's coming from one of their main industries. I know in LA the city suddenly forgets it's strict and uptight if it's a big budget film asking for a permit, I've seen permits handed out even on a weekend lmao.

I actually like the general vibe of this, from a distance, as a thought lol, but you look at each look and they're.. pretty bad. There's a pink blouse at the beginning that is just.. horrific, I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. And is this an elastic band on a wedding dress?.. if you can't even commit to a dress, you have no business getting married.

chanel.jpg

I'm genuinely curious on how France is with permits for this kind of thing.. I wonder if it's as bureaucratic as they usually are or if they just suddenly lax on all the pedantic maneuvering and regulations because it's coming from one of their main industries. I know in LA the city suddenly forgets it's strict and uptight if it's a big budget film asking for a permit, I've seen permits handed out even on a weekend lmao.

I actually like the general vibe of this, from a distance, as a thought lol, but you look at each look and they're.. pretty bad. There's a pink blouse at the beginning that is just.. horrific, I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. And is this an elastic band on a wedding dress?.. if you can't even commit to a dress, you have no business getting married.

View attachment 1232453
Lol love the worst enemy part.

Every season, Virginie surprises us with some questionable looks like that one (and do you remember those sheer undergarments in fall 2021?). I wonder if there is any rich woman actually buying those when they even don’t even look good on models.

My biggest issue with her (and there are many) are the colors. She’s absolutely clueless. It doesn’t work. The textures are fighting with the palette. Everything looks drab, like an eighties office carpet with cigarette stains.

I agree that some of the looks in the beginning work, but at Chanel everyone should expect more. It’s the highest of high. It can’t be this banal.

It's this shirt hem and uneven skirt for me :skull:

2023-07-04_23-08-31.png
vogue.com

59794150f2d2f4d0b3642d4a76bf2319.jpg

(pinimg.com)

The music was so obnoxious.

This collection was less all over the place than previous productions. Her lack of imagination and creativity continues to stand out. proportions remain unflattering.

That opening coat must be a top selling couture piece because there is no reason to show a floor length pea coat - in navy no less.

VVs work with the challenging color and pattern mixing is still not successful. gold and purple sequin top with pinstripe pants and the embroided shift under the grey coat were the standouts. gold and pink suits featured un luxurious looking material.

There is a huge amount of looks marred by more challenging patterning mixing.That bar jacket suit with pattern mixing is a lowlight. Absolute worst look goes to the black jacket with stripe glitter tweed and embroidered flowers - its pure insanity. The sandy plaid coat is also uneeded.

The finale is the best part. A striped pleated lurex skirt with a floral top was the high point of this whole collection. So chic. The rest of the looks are pretty chic if not very safe in some cases. The white floral applique gown was also a high point of the whole collection. I dont know why it wasnt the bride.

Last edited:
I want an explanation for the one model walking a dog on the runway. Did Loli Bahia bring her Flat Coated Retriever to hair and make-up?

I sometimes think they banned her from the archives… otherwise she could have just copy/paste and would be better than these school level of excercises

I sometimes think they banned her from the archives… otherwise she could have just copy/paste and would be better than these school level of excercises

Oh she has taken some each season, esp. the jackets.
But she has a tendency to mix a classic jacket with a mini skirt, instantaneously "elevating" the look into a Sandro :cold:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crinklechiffon
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->