Chanel Makeup: What's good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm going to buy soleil tan tomorrow, hopefully it'll live up to expectations!

I am so glad Christine has done a review of the two SoHo nail shades (temptalia.com:(

Chanel SoHo Le Vernis: Should You?

From Chanel’s exclusive and limited edition SoHo Story, we have two new and limited edition shades of polish. I am a fan of Chanel’s polish–I have no issues with wear or the formula (typically), and I think they often create unique, inspiring shades. Each retails for $25, and last I checked, were still available online.
  • Steel is a charcoal gray-black with silvery gray micro-shimmer. When the flash fired, it also illuminated flashes of teal, violet, and green micro-shimmer, but I really didn’t see the effect of these in natural light. It reminded me of a subtler, more micro-shimmered version of Nubar Night Sky (which is also matte). This doesn’t seem like an overly unique shade, and though I can’t name any other specific dupes, my stash and archives aren’t as exhaustive as I’d like for dupe-finding purposes. Two coats.
  • Strong is a deep, dark burgundy-brown with brighter burgundy micro-shimmer. Like Steel, when the flash fired, flecks of copper, amber, and burgundy micro-shimmer were noticeable. I feel like I’ve seen this shade before, but after half an hour of going through my photos, I couldn’t find anything.
The formula on these was consistent with Chanel overall–on the thicker side but very pigmented. I included a photo of Strong with only one coat to show you just how intense the color is. I still find that I can never get away with just one coat and always go for a second. Though I like both shades, they don’t inspire me as much as other past shades have (like the recent Paradoxal).

Last edited by a moderator:
And she's got hold of the SoHo compact too (same source:(

Chanel SoHo de Chanel Highlighter & Blush ($65.00 for 0.45 oz.) is the star of the collection, is it not? It’s easily the prettiest, with the raised SoHo lettering and design of the powder. It has three distinct shades: rosy brown (it doesn’t read plum on me, though Chanel describes it as such), pale powder pink (but don’t expect to use that shade on its own–it’s such a thin strip!), and satiny pale white with subtle pink undertones (this is the highlighter). If you mix them altogether, the result is a lightly shimmered, glowy mix of muted rose.

Surprisingly, it swatches rather sheerly, but it applied much better with a blush brush on my cheeks–it was more pigmented than I anticipated (based on the subtler swatches). I actually loved the luminous sheen in the finish when they were swirled together–it’s glowy and rosy without being too pink. It is on the cooler side, but I think it still worked on my warmer skin tone, because it does have a touch of brown in it.

You could use the blush/highlighter shades separately if so desired, as both pieces are large enough to do so. The highlighter has such a fine sheen that I could see it being dusted all over as a finishing powder. Overall, the powder applied really smoothly and evenly, and it was a cinch to blend out.

At $65, it’s not exactly a necessity item, but Chanel packed a surprising amount of product into this compact–a whopping 0.45 oz.–as compared to their blushes which weigh in at a mere 0.14 oz. By the ounce, it’s cheaper than NARS, can you believe it? This is one of those rare moments in beauty where I’m awarding Chanel 10/10 on value!

so i'm confused :( khaki vert, rose and brun are they in the uk yet and are they in chanel boutiques only?

so i'm confused :( khaki vert, rose and brun are they in the uk yet and are they in chanel boutiques only?

Indeed, they are Boutiques Exclusive... And the make-up stores does have them!! London Harvey Nichols I tought

That red is super hot! The khaki brun is also nice. Seems like the perfect color for fall.

More from the SoHo collection - not much colour in this Glossimer, but great reflective effect and lasting power, it seems (temptalia.com:(

Chanel Star Glossimer ($27.00 for 0.19 oz.) is a sheer gloss strewn with silver and white flecks of dazzling shimmer. My lips looked so slick and wet and juicy as soon as I applied Star; I was like, “OOH, LA LA!”

And if you have not witnessed the magic that is Chanel Glossimers dancing like sunlight as it shimmers against water, I urge you to try it sometime. The effect is delightful. Star seemed to have that gorgeous shimmering effect more than other Glossimers–the way it glinted even indoors was phenomenal.

I went through some of the Glossimers I owned to see if there are comparable ones, and the closest I found was Futile (from Spring 2010), which looks more similar on than it does in a side-by-side swatch. The warmth of Futile is less noticeable when it’s worn. Star has a lot more white and silver shimmer flecks–just a smidgen brighter, but again, the difference is minute. I was also reminded of MAC Sugarrimmed Dazzleglass.

Glossimers have a medium-thick consistency that’s just a touch tacky, but I wouldn’t describe them as sticky at all. I tend to get about three to four hours of wear with these, and the other day, I wore this shade over Stunning Rouge Coco and the combo lasted quite well for eight hours (even with a meal!).

Last edited by a moderator:
And a look at the Quad from the collection, with swatches on skin of shades used both dry and wet (temptalia.com:(

Chanel Stupendous Eyeshadow Quad ($56.00 for 0.24 oz.) is new and limited edition for Chanel’s SoHo Story Collection, which celebrated the grand reopening of SoHo Boutique. It contains for shimmering shades: a pink champagne, plum-tinged gray-brown, burgundy brown, and icy blue with silver sheen. This is one of the more pigmented Chanel quads I’ve crome across where every shade looked as rich and pigmented wet as it did dry. (Typically, products always look more intense when used wet.)

All four shades seemed rather cool-toned to me, and after using everything together, the entire collection is definitely on the cooler side of the spectrum. Though if you’re warmed, it’s still a very wearable set of products. It leans cool but it’s not so cool where I’d be leery, but just because a product leans the opposite of your skin tone doesn’t mean you can’t or shouldn’t wear it. It’s all a matter of what you pair it with! For instance, try doing one cool area (either lips, cheeks, or eyes) and pairing with two warmer areas (whichever two you didn’t use a cool product on!).

I posted this look earlier in the week. Though I wasn’t sure the blue was going to work paired with the other quad colors, it worked out in the end. I do think it veers on being overly frosty/shimmering, though. As a way to highlight the inner tearduct, I like it, but those wary of ultra frosty products, this might be one of those danger! kind of shades.

Stupendous is consistent with Chanel’s quads–soft, buttery consistency that feels like silk and blends easily. The formula is such that the powder binds well to the lid, even without a primer (though, don’t expect it to last 18 hours if you have oilier lids!), though I’d never wear eyeshadow without a good base! (That’s beauty blasphemy!!) Some readers compared this quad to Mystic Eyes, but going by the only swatches I have posted (I don’t own it), they’re not too similar.

For you the Mat Lumiere in FAÏENCE,#5, will be the best.CLAIR, #20, is to yellow... Go to your SA and ask to try the shades on your skin...

Put on first the Blanc de Chanel Universel, then the Mat Lumiere Make-up, Eclat Lumiere Concealer and a little Poudre Cristalline for finish. Blush in Tweet Rose on your Cheeks, Inimitable Intense on your lashes and finish that with Rouge Coco in Perle, #2, on your lips!!
Thanks! That was super helpful! :flower:

And a look at the Quad from the collection, with swatches on skin of shades used both dry and wet (temptalia.com:(

AMAZING colours as Chanel got us used to!!!

Thank you for posting tigerrouge!!! :flower:

A few more reviews (temptalia.com:(

Chanel Stunning Rouge Coco Lipstick ($30.00 for 0.12 oz.) is a pearly peach-beige with subtle champagne shimmer and a rather glossy sheen. It applied smoothly and pretty evenly, and it felt more moisturizing than other Rouge Cocos I’ve tried in the past. It’s comfortable to wear, and this lighter shade lasted beautifully under a glossimer (over seven hours). It’s a very lovely barely-there shade, and I think it will flatter all skin tones. Though it’s soft in color and a little sheer, it is versatile; it can be worn on its own for an everyday look or layered underneath a more pigmented gloss to add some oomph.

I think the name sort of gave me high hopes, but the color itself was a bit of a let down. I think with a name like “Stunning,” a bolder, really show-stopping kind of shade was in order. Instead, it’s much more of a my-lips-but-better hue. I’m not sold on it, even though it looks nice on, just because it’s not my cup of tea. I can see why this sold out, though!

I would say it’s similar to Chanel Chintz (pinker), Chanel Mythic (a bit lighter), Guerlain Gabrielle (pinker), Urban Decay Peroxide (frostier, pinker), and Smashbox Charming (peachier).

And the Laque from the SoHo collection (same source:(

First, I must warn you: I LOVE ROUGE ALLURE LAQUES. I received a few to review when they first came onto the market, and I literally ran out the next day and bought four more. I get four to six hours of wear with the formula, which I find rich in color, lightweight, and comfortable to wear; they’re moisturizing enough to keep my lips in good shape whenever I wear ‘em.

Chanel Stunt Rouge Allure Laque
($32.00 for .20 oz.) is a pink-kissed plum with a very creamy look, slight glossiness, and rich, opaque color. LOVE! This is a flattering shade on both cooler and warmer skin tone. It is also such a needed shade to the Rouge Allure Laque range, which makes it a real shame that it’s a limited edition color. Stunt is such a wearable shade of pink/plum that’s not too light or dark, nor is it bright pink like Phoenix. So happy I bought it–now, if only Chanel would add about eight more shades to the range and make those all permanent…

i picked up an eyeshadow quad (beige velour) and a liquid eyeshadow stick today and because they were doing a one day special promotion, i received a full size eyeliner and nail polish for free! totally my lucky day! :clap:

^ Chanel is always very generous with samples and gifts. That's another reason why I love them so much :P

i picked up an eyeshadow quad (beige velour) and a liquid eyeshadow stick today and because they were doing a one day special promotion, i received a full size eyeliner and nail polish for free! totally my lucky day! :clap:

Where do you get them? Each time I do purchases, the most samples I'll get are some body creams...... :(

I didn't see this posted.

Les Tentations de Chanel Holiday 2010 Makeup Collection

aLes-Tentations-de-Chanel-Holiday-2010-collection-promo.jpg

Collection includes:
Les 4 Ombres
  • Tentation Cuivre #94 ( brown cooper, light beige, sparkling light pink, plum cooper)
Ombre D’Eau
  • Splash (smoky pewter)
Les Tissages
  • Tweed Fuchsia #17 (bright pink)
Rouge Coco
  • Magnolia (soft pink)
  • Patchouli ( beige with honey )
Levres Scintillantes (Glossimer)
  • Pleasing (golden brown),
  • Charming (sparkling pink),
  • Pink Pulsion (pure fuschia);
It is said that for US there will be also a Futile #139 Glossimer which is from Spring 2010.
Le Vernis
  • Pulsion #547 (cream fuschia)
  • Particuliere #505 (for Europe)
  • Mica Rose #495 (for US).
Les-Tentations-de-Chanel-Holiday-2010-collection-products.jpg

The model is wearing:​
  • Les Tissages#17 Tweed Fuchsia
  • Le Sourcil de Chanel #20 Brun
  • Quadra Eye Shadow #94 Tentation Cuivre; Les Tentations de Chanel.
  • Le Crayon Yeux #01 Noir Black
  • Le Crayon Khol #62 Ambre
  • Inimitable #10 Noir Black
  • Rouge Coco #177 Magnolia
  • Glossimer #247 Pink Pulsion
  • Le Vernis #547 Pulsion
  • Beaute des Ongles
makeup4all.com

:woot: Looks amazing! One of the best makeup collections in some time. Timeless and classy

I've seen preview shots of that collection floating around the internet, and I was hoping those products wouldn't turn out to be the Holiday collection, because for me, it's too much pink, especially considering there hasn't been any shortage of pink in recent blush/shadow/lip releases, and there was a similar varnish in the Pop-Up collection.

When it comes round to autumn-winter, I want more dramatic, deeper colours, something womanly, with a lush and decorative design for the LE compact. There's a lot about Chanel I like... but from what I've seen elsewhere, this collection isn't one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paintnitelife
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->