Chanel S/S 2019 by Karl Lagerfeld

Mechanical as in presentation, grouping of models in the campaign imagery not that inclusion is mechanical.

Again I’m going off memory not what’s current in Chanel. I read magazines religisouly from the early 90s til c 2008, and MOCA was not an integral part of Chanel’s campaigns. I no longer own the vast majority of my copies of Elle, Vogue, allure, Mademoiselle, Bazaar, so I cant say with certainty what images ran in the magazines but growing up imertsed in these campaign images Chanel was not synonymous with diversity.

Although I did just remember without the aid of internet that beautiful 90s Chanel allure ad campaign which included Asian model Nora and an African American model whose name sadly escapes me at the mo. This campaign was successful in presenting models of all color in a natural way.

Taking into account the 50 plus years Chanel has shot campaigns for their fashion, perfume cosmetics, the overriding theme has been very whitewashed along with the rest of the fashion industry. So yes their recent blip is a step in the right direction and I applaud them. But less robotic expressions and grouping presentation would be appreciated.

Chanel Eyewear
Photographer:
Karl Lagerfeld
Stylist: Carine Roitfeld
Hair: Sam McKnight
Make Up: Lucia Pica
Model: Vittoria Ceretti

Glamour UK Digital Edition

Chanel Handbags

Photographer:
Karl Lagerfeld
Models: Vittoria Ceretti, Nora Attal, Hyun Ji Shin, Rebecca Leigh Longendyke and Kris Grikaite

Elle Italia Digital Edition

Chanel Eyewear
Photographer:
Karl Lagerfeld
Model: Kris Grikaite

Cosmopolitan France Digital Edition

You forgot Kimora in 1989, Yasmeen Ghauri in 1990 and Nadège Dubospertus in 1992 and 1993, Devon Aoki in 1999, Pharrell and Adut.

I don’t know if we consider having Mica as « diverse » but I take it.

They had some black and Asian models for the beauty with the Allure fragrance back in the 90’s. I remember that Yasmin Warsame had a Allure campaign.
Tami Williams is also a face of Chanel beauty..

But Chanel beauty and Fashion are two different world. Karl was only responsible for the fashion part even if he was sometimes consulted for the Beauty.
I am sure that something was happening at the top of Chanel so that Karl would never have his beloved Naomi for a campaign.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sure that something was happening at the top of Chanel so that Karl would never have his beloved Naomi for a campaign.
She did Fendi. I simply think she wasn’t a favorite enough to get Chanel. If one model was robbed of a campaign, it’s Alek Wek. She was a real favorite of him but she never got a campaign...

She was robbed for every single stuff in fashion. She deserves much more -although she's an industry icon-.

I always wondered how Adut got the status she has in fashion. She doesn't have nearly as many bookings as some other models with lesser status, yet somehow she's considered an 'icon'. I guess it could be thanks to the many connections she has and let's face it, she's stunning but it's still confusing! Not to mention the times she scored major covers only to become an afterthought inside the issue - like the time precious Edward, who is so big and proud of his #diversity achievements, cast Adut for a cover yet somehow ended up featuring only two of her images (in the same outfit) in an editorial clearly dedicated to Primrose Archer with Adut and Saffron looking like afterthoughts added in for extra diversity points. Pathetic as usual!
I'm not suggesting this has anything to do with racism, though. She's neither the first or the last model to score a cover without a following cover story, but it's shady that she has all this hype and status but frankly not that much to back it up.

She was robbed for every single stuff in fashion. She deserves much more -although she's an industry icon-.

I think that her look was too edgy at the time. She was a darling for designers but unfortunately, she was maybe too ahead of her time. Her edginess + being black obviously scared designers to take a chance on her. She earned her legendary status with runway and editorial work and because her look was so special.

Devon Aoki who was edgy and big at the same time definitely had the advantage of her skin tone to make her edgy look mainstream...

When Alek became a star, Kiara Kabukuru was the big big star at the time. She had a more classical look and she got her solo Us Vogue cover, Chanel fragrance, Gucci campaigns...etc.

Plus Devon had the advantage of being the daughter of Benihana's founder and we all know Karl loved his little rich girls...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->