Chanel S/S 2019 by Karl Lagerfeld

Discussion in 'Ad Campaigns' started by vogue28, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Morgane07

Morgane07 Active Member

I'd love to see Saffron Vadher in a Chanel ad. She has that mysterious aura, she'd be a great fit for the brand.

2. Lax89

Lax89 Well-Known Member

I just did a quick google search
    Chanel Spring Summer 1994 : Brandi Quinones
    Chanel Spring Summer 2012 : Joan Smalls
    Chanel Spring Summer 2016 : Lineisy Montero, Mica Arganaraz
    Chanel Eyewear Fall Winter 2016-2017 : Willow Smith
    Chanel Les Beiges : Imaan Hammam, Liu Wen
    Chanel Fall Winter 2018-2019 : Adesuwa, Hoyeon Jung, Yoon Young Bae

Seems pretty diverse to me. Of course, they use a lot of white models as well but we can't deny that there is diversity. And like you said, we are here to witness the progress :D

3. ellastica

ellastica Well-Known Member

Oh I’d completely forgotten about Brandi for Chanel. Such a knock out.

Granted I’m old school and haven’t paid that close attention since my perceived decline of fashion c 2008 but diversity at Chanel in terms of their campaign archive isn’t what immediately comes to mind.

What I remember based strictly on recall is many a white model, celebrity or muse fronting Chanel. How many people even those who did pay attention to print back in the day could’ve recalled the 1 90s MOCA without the aid of Google?

Looking at Chanel MOCA stats you’ve googled their track record is pretty patchy (20 year camping gap) until recently which likely coincides with recent social media pressure over the last few years. And let’s not forget the incredibly dedicated TFSers tracking diversity on the runway and changing the face of fashion by doing so!

So yeah a definite step in the right direction over the past 3 years. Let’s keep it up and maybe we’ll even see another solo MOCA a la Brandi, Joan or even Saffron as somebody else mentioned in a previous post. Once seeing a MOCA in a print magazine becomes a non-event in the same way a white models presence has become, hopefully by then Chanel’s multiracial line-up of models will come across less mechanical, more fanciful and convey a rich, layered capmpaign concept!

4. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

You forgot Kimora in 1989, Yasmeen Ghauri in 1990 and Nadège Dubospertus in 1992 and 1993, Devon Aoki in 1999, Pharrell and Adut.

I don’t know if we consider having Mica as « diverse » but I take it.

They had some black and Asian models for the beauty with the Allure fragrance back in the 90’s. I remember that Yasmin Warsame had a Allure campaign.
    Tami Williams is also a face of Chanel beauty..

But Chanel beauty and Fashion are two different world. Karl was only responsible for the fashion part even if he was sometimes consulted for the Beauty.

Lax89 likes this.
  5. Lax89

Lax89 Well-Known Member

I just did a quick google search on their campaign history, that's why I didn't include everything.
    I don't remember everything but what I remembered was seeing models of colors in Chanel campaign; I was trying to prove that Chanel was always diverse :flower:
    We know that Chanel likes to use models of the moments, hence their casting choice so I don't see how casting a black model who's recognized by her peers within the industry is mechanical.
    Is Prada mechanical too then ?
    What about the Tommy Hilfiger x Zendaya runway show ?

6. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

^^
    Most of the brands are guilty for not having so much diversity in their ads in the past 30 years even if Chanel is less problematic than Dior or others big brands.
    Until Carine came around, Chanel was notorious for having 1 or 2 girl max in their campaigns and they were above all notorious for sticking with them for seasons or years.
    Even if we look back in years, There’s no perfect brand.

And we can always debate on why it happened but it’s not something we can explain.
    Karl’s right hand man for 2 decades was a black man and his fit model at Chanel since 2002 is a Latina.

ellastica likes this.
  7. ellastica

ellastica Well-Known Member

Mechanical as in presentation, grouping of models in the campaign imagery not that inclusion is mechanical.

Again I’m going off memory not what’s current in Chanel. I read magazines religisouly from the early 90s til c 2008, and MOCA was not an integral part of Chanel’s campaigns. I no longer own the vast majority of my copies of Elle, Vogue, allure, Mademoiselle, Bazaar, so I cant say with certainty what images ran in the magazines but growing up imertsed in these campaign images Chanel was not synonymous with diversity.

Although I did just remember without the aid of internet that beautiful 90s Chanel allure ad campaign which included Asian model Nora and an African American model whose name sadly escapes me at the mo. This campaign was successful in presenting models of all color in a natural way.

Taking into account the 50 plus years Chanel has shot campaigns for their fashion, perfume cosmetics, the overriding theme has been very whitewashed along with the rest of the fashion industry. So yes their recent blip is a step in the right direction and I applaud them. But less robotic expressions and grouping presentation would be appreciated.