Chanel S/S 2019 by Karl Lagerfeld

Luna Bijl closing the Fall/Winter 2018 show is iconic in my eyes :heart:

I'm not feeling this campaign, wish it was done outdoors.
Everything Luna does, especially for chanel, is Iconic. She, Grace and Vittoria are the last true Chanel girls.

Photographer: Karl Lagerfeld
Stylist: Carine Roitfeld
Hair: Sam McKnight
Make Up: Lucia Pica
Models: Kris Grikaite, Rebecca Leigh Longendyke and Adesuwa Aighewi

InStyle Spain Digital Edition

Lifeless and dull, I never like Chanel ads except those garden shots circa 2010 with Alex White and 2005 Paris streetsnaps with Alt....-_-

Lifeless and dull, I never like Chanel ads except those garden shots circa 2010 with Alex White and 2005 Paris streetsnaps with Alt....-_-
I used to love Chanel ads. I realized it even more when I bought their book dedicated to the campaigns.
Even the few campaigns Carine did in the early 00´s were great.

Karl did so many iconic campaigns for the brand in the 00´s!

Everything changed in 2011. And now, those grey backgrounds. It’s terrible!

I appreciate cultural, racial diversity and sensitivity but those images above remind me of the super corny ultra PC, Baskin & Robin posters from the 90s which they still use their shops.

Group shots in general seem to befuddle the heck out of modern editorial, campaign teams. US VOGUE is terrible although some International editions like Italian ELLE trying to evoke Bensimon, King, Toscani are even more cringe.

In the 90s magazines featured models of color along side white models but it looked natural. And they weren't using that banner as a stunt or political message. Now it's done out of fear and public demand rather than an editorial standard. Look at 80s and 90s US ELLE.

Instead of producing a separate advertising campaign for eyewear this season, Chanel have just used some shots from this mainline campaign. They have been putting out some footage on their Instagram page over recent days, and I've just seen the print campaign (black and white) in the new April issue of British Harper's Bazaar.

Instead of producing a separate advertising campaign for eyewear this season, Chanel have just used some shots from this mainline campaign. They have been putting out some footage on their Instagram page over recent days, and I've just seen the print campaign (black and white) in the new April issue of British Harper's Bazaar.
thanks for sharing the info vogue28! Kinda sad to read this since I was usually a fan of the eyewear campaigns (Luna looked fantastic) and this one is a disappointment.

Chanel Eyewear
Photographer:
Karl Lagerfeld
Stylist: Carine Roitfeld
Hair: Sam McKnight
Make Up: Lucia Pica
Model: Kris Grikaite

Tatler UK Digital Edition

Who is going to be shooting the campaigns now? I would think maybe Meisel but who knows....

I do hope it is Meisel, maybe Mert & Marcus, but I can't imagine anyone else shooting them since other legendary ones like Weber, Testino and etc, are not around anymore.

I appreciate cultural, racial diversity and sensitivity but those images above remind me of the super corny ultra PC, Baskin & Robin posters from the 90s which they still use their shops.

Group shots in general seem to befuddle the heck out of modern editorial, campaign teams. US VOGUE is terrible although some International editions like Italian ELLE trying to evoke Bensimon, King, Toscani are even more cringe.

In the 90s magazines featured models of color along side white models but it looked natural. And they weren't using that banner as a stunt or political message. Now it's done out of fear and public demand rather than an editorial standard. Look at 80s and 90s US ELLE.

How is this PC ? Can't you just be happy that models of color are featured alongside white models in the campaign of one of the most iconic brands in the world ?
Diversity in fashion still has a long way to go but it's getting there.

Last collection by Karl photographed by Meisel would be glorious. Don't know if Lagerfeld made the pre-fall campaign (I doubt it). Carine worked a lot with SM, so it's expected. And he never shoot Luna, It would be nice if she finally work with him.

Chanel’s print imagery isn’t known for diversity last I checked anyways. To me the set up of the models looks mechanical and oh yeah it’s 2019 let’s not forget to include a black model.

I’m more turned off by the static aesthetic, editorial presentation which rather than emphasizing racial diversity and harmony in a natural way, we’re presented with this stiff Barbie line up, corresponding to a check off list for racial diversity quota. To me the ad’s stiffness further highlights Chanel’s lack of experience representing diversity in print.

But the inclusion of more models of color in all publications and companies will translate into a more natural racial norm rather than exception where turning a page and seeing MOCA in a fashion mag invites admiration of beauty and campaign creativity rather than highlighting look here at this racial diversity anomaly. The Chanel ad represents visual documentation of growing pains. But still breaking down barriers and we’re here to witness the progress :flower:

Btw I’m referring to post #68. Been scrolling on my iphone and just saw the the rest of the campaign images. May or may not change my tune looking at the rest of the campaign!

I'd love to see Saffron Vadher in a Chanel ad. She has that mysterious aura, she'd be a great fit for the brand.

Chanel’s print imagery isn’t known for diversity last I checked anyways. To me the set up of the models looks mechanical and oh yeah it’s 2019 let’s not forget to include a black model.

I’m more turned off by the static aesthetic, editorial presentation which rather than emphasizing racial diversity and harmony in a natural way, we’re presented with this stiff Barbie line up, corresponding to a check off list for racial diversity quota. To me the ad’s stiffness further highlights Chanel’s lack of experience representing diversity in print.

But the inclusion of more models of color in all publications and companies will translate into a more natural racial norm rather than exception where turning a page and seeing MOCA in a fashion mag invites admiration of beauty and campaign creativity rather than highlighting look here at this racial diversity anomaly. The Chanel ad represents visual documentation of growing pains. But still breaking down barriers and we’re here to witness the progress :flower:

I just did a quick google search
Chanel Spring Summer 1994 : Brandi Quinones
Chanel Spring Summer 2012 : Joan Smalls
Chanel Spring Summer 2016 : Lineisy Montero, Mica Arganaraz
Chanel Eyewear Fall Winter 2016-2017 : Willow Smith
Chanel Les Beiges : Imaan Hammam, Liu Wen
Chanel Fall Winter 2018-2019 : Adesuwa, Hoyeon Jung, Yoon Young Bae

Seems pretty diverse to me. Of course, they use a lot of white models as well but we can't deny that there is diversity. And like you said, we are here to witness the progress :D

Oh I’d completely forgotten about Brandi for Chanel. Such a knock out.

Granted I’m old school and haven’t paid that close attention since my perceived decline of fashion c 2008 but diversity at Chanel in terms of their campaign archive isn’t what immediately comes to mind.

What I remember based strictly on recall is many a white model, celebrity or muse fronting Chanel. How many people even those who did pay attention to print back in the day could’ve recalled the 1 90s MOCA without the aid of Google?

Looking at Chanel MOCA stats you’ve googled their track record is pretty patchy (20 year camping gap) until recently which likely coincides with recent social media pressure over the last few years. And let’s not forget the incredibly dedicated TFSers tracking diversity on the runway and changing the face of fashion by doing so!

So yeah a definite step in the right direction over the past 3 years. Let’s keep it up and maybe we’ll even see another solo MOCA a la Brandi, Joan or even Saffron as somebody else mentioned in a previous post. Once seeing a MOCA in a print magazine becomes a non-event in the same way a white models presence has become, hopefully by then Chanel’s multiracial line-up of models will come across less mechanical, more fanciful and convey a rich, layered capmpaign concept!

I just did a quick google search
Chanel Spring Summer 1994 : Brandi Quinones
Chanel Spring Summer 2012 : Joan Smalls
Chanel Spring Summer 2016 : Lineisy Montero, Mica Arganaraz
Chanel Eyewear Fall Winter 2016-2017 : Willow Smith
Chanel Les Beiges : Imaan Hammam, Liu Wen
Chanel Fall Winter 2018-2019 : Adesuwa, Hoyeon Jung, Yoon Young Bae

Seems pretty diverse to me. Of course, they use a lot of white models as well but we can't deny that there is diversity. And like you said, we are here to witness the progress :D
You forgot Kimora in 1989, Yasmeen Ghauri in 1990 and Nadège Dubospertus in 1992 and 1993, Devon Aoki in 1999, Pharrell and Adut.

I don’t know if we consider having Mica as « diverse » but I take it.

They had some black and Asian models for the beauty with the Allure fragrance back in the 90’s. I remember that Yasmin Warsame had a Allure campaign.
Tami Williams is also a face of Chanel beauty..

But Chanel beauty and Fashion are two different world. Karl was only responsible for the fashion part even if he was sometimes consulted for the Beauty.

Oh I’d completely forgotten about Brandi for Chanel. Such a knock out.

Granted I’m old school and haven’t paid that close attention since my perceived decline of fashion c 2008 but diversity at Chanel in terms of their campaign archive isn’t what immediately comes to mind.

What I remember based strictly on recall is many a white model, celebrity or muse fronting Chanel. How many people even those who did pay attention to print back in the day could’ve recalled the 1 90s MOCA without the aid of Google?

Looking at Chanel MOCA stats you’ve googled their track record is pretty patchy (20 year camping gap) until recently which likely coincides with recent social media pressure over the last few years. And let’s not forget the incredibly dedicated TFSers tracking diversity on the runway and changing the face of fashion by doing so!

So yeah a definite step in the right direction over the past 3 years. Let’s keep it up and maybe we’ll even see another solo MOCA a la Brandi, Joan or even Saffron as somebody else mentioned in a previous post. Once seeing a MOCA in a print magazine becomes a non-event in the same way a white models presence has become, hopefully by then Chanel’s multiracial line-up of models will come across less mechanical, more fanciful and convey a rich, layered capmpaign concept!
I just did a quick google search on their campaign history, that's why I didn't include everything.
I don't remember everything but what I remembered was seeing models of colors in Chanel campaign; I was trying to prove that Chanel was always diverse :flower:
We know that Chanel likes to use models of the moments, hence their casting choice so I don't see how casting a black model who's recognized by her peers within the industry is mechanical.
Is Prada mechanical too then ?
What about the Tommy Hilfiger x Zendaya runway show ?

^^
Most of the brands are guilty for not having so much diversity in their ads in the past 30 years even if Chanel is less problematic than Dior or others big brands.
Until Carine came around, Chanel was notorious for having 1 or 2 girl max in their campaigns and they were above all notorious for sticking with them for seasons or years.
Even if we look back in years, There’s no perfect brand.

And we can always debate on why it happened but it’s not something we can explain.
Karl’s right hand man for 2 decades was a black man and his fit model at Chanel since 2002 is a Latina.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellbell
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"