Christopher Kane S/S 10 London

I'm surprised to see so many haters!

Actually, I think I would have expected the haters, more due to the prints than anything.

I think Kane is moving in the right direction. I find it far better for a designer to radically alter their aesthetic from season to season than for all seasons to be the same general idea (*cough* Rodarte *cough*).

The prints are a bit questionable but deffinitely daring, they make the clothing stand out. The transparency accents are lovely and placed in some unexpected places. My only complaint would be that many models seem to have skipped a proper fitting and it makes the clothes seem awkwardly cut...

Also, I like how this feels a bit awkward? Did anyone else get that feeling? It's pretty-pretty pastels and beading but deffinitely not completely cutesy or girly. There's a bit of an awkward femininity in it all, it seems so rough-around-the-edges and slightly erotic... If you describe this collection to me, I would think of maybe my mother at some early beach soiree, but then I see it and I certainly can't see my mother in these pieces.

This is a thumbs up in my book. There are some looks I can't say I loved (the first ones, more than anything) but as a whole I am glad he went in this direction. Christopher is very young and I'm glad to see he's not trying to chain himself to an established aesthetic but rather experiments with different inspirations.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised to see so many haters!

Actually, I think I would have expected the haters, more due to the prints than anything.

I think Kane is moving in the right direction. I find it far better for a designer to radically alter their aesthetic from season to season than for all seasons to be the same general idea (*cough* Rodarte *cough*).

The prints are a bit questionable but deffinitely daring, they make the clothing stand out. The transparency accents are lovely and placed in some unexpected places. My only complaint would be that many models seem to have skipped a proper fitting and it makes the clothes seem awkwardly cut...

Also, I like how this feels a bit awkward? Did anyone else get that feeling? It's pretty-pretty pastels and beading but deffinitely not completely cutesy or girly. There's a bit of an awkward femininity in it all, it seems so rough-around-the-edges and slightly erotic... If you describe this collection to me, I would think of maybe my mother at some early beach soiree, but then I see it and I certainly can't see my mother in these pieces.

This is a thumbs up in my book. There are some looks I can't say I loved (the first ones, more than anything) but as a whole I am glad he went in this direction. Christopher is very young and I'm glad to see he's not trying to chain himself to an established aesthetic but rather experiments with different inspirations.

I definitely agree with you on this post. However, I think that Kane IS carving out an aesthetic but still experimenting with different inspirations. Kane's collections always have a bit of an awkward femninity and most if not all of his collections have had what you described as a "rough around the edges and slightly erotic" mood. That's really why I love him so much as a designer.

This is the first time i really like his collection. It´s so soft and feminine. Love the pastel colors.

This, to me, is still very '80s.

Perhaps not the '80s that people tend to automatically think of/remember, though.

I remember skirts like this, with the split double seams (although, normally, they were a bit longer [i.e. below the knee - which worked better, IMO] and made from more subtantial fabric [often cotton twill, for summer, I think?] which lent them weight and structure [and also, a certain amount of modesty in a light breeze!]), when I was a kid in the early-to-mid '80s and corsetry and checks (to an extent) also abounded, then, of course.

I think it's an interesting collection, but I'm not sure how covetable most of it is? Especially the gingham pieces?

I think checks are much more appealing in soft, thick, fabrics and in jewel colours with black, personally (in other words, for winter!).

Also, especially looking at the closed shape of the bra cups, in profile, I highly doubt most of this would be well-fitting and/or comfortable and/or flattering on any but the very thinnest; which is, perhaps, a risky strategy, especially in this economy?

Love the sandals, though (although they're too high for me). :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. I'm not in love with it, but I like it. I think what I like about Kane is that he definitely is on a continuous experimental phase right now until he finds "it" that makes his brand if that makes any sense. Also, maybe he saved some of the fire for Versus? ^_^

I always love his collections and this time is no exception... I'm not a fan of the color palette but the pieces are great nonetheless.

I adore it
maybe it's not my specific style, but i could surely find one or two dresses for me
I think his vision is refreshing
he is always thinking as a designer, it is coherent
and i simply love that

thank you SO much for posting the HQs, classicalbang.:heart: i always love to see his collections in detail.

I'm moved by how in the HQ's, you can see how imperfect much of it is. This is still a young designer who is probably still doing much of the work himself. It feels a bit like a labor of love and very much about the ideas behind the clothing as much as the actual end product.

that's a very nice comment, birdofparadise :smile: i'm curious if there are any specific things you came across? i looked at some myself --i thought of maybe pulls/tugs here and there in the fabric but i'm not sure if it's in the sewing or the fit... and the fit would be better if it was custom made for each model
i did see quite a bit of wrinkles.. seeing some in the bustiers, which remind me of horrors i experience with fusible interfacing :ninja: not pressing properly (and it has to end up in the dustbin sometimes).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->