Derek Lam S/S 11 New York

derek lam conjures in me the same feeling that michael kors once did. it's still quite insider, but it's so rich and it's so effortless. it's uptown, it's downtown. it's edgy, it's classic. is there any other designer that puts out pieces that look this chic with denim or boucle?

Fine collection, but not exciting. He's still very Kors -esque, but not as good as Kors himself. I also think the avocado and gold colors should stay in the 70s where they belong (see a rerun of The Brady Bunch and check out the kitchen appliances to see what I mean).
Re this collection I can see comparisons to Kors and even Klein, but the Kors and Klein Girls are Uptown Girls and the Derek Lam Girl is a Downtown Girl. Now to be honest, I am not sure if it is so much the clothes that are different or if the distinction comes about more from styling, accessories and attitude. Also, I will add that the Derek Lam Girl is a Downtown Girl label applies more to this collection rather than an overall characterization.

as i review all the new york collections so far, i feel like a lot of people are wasting time hating on how wearable things are. i feel like thats what new york designers are all about. people dont look at paris collections and say oh! its too weird! no one would wear that on the street!
i am not saying i disagree that paris is more impressive and just all around BETTER than new york... i mean obviously new york fashion week is the least exciting...
but if you step back and look at the workmanship of these clothes. i think there is something beautiful about american sportswear. i love it!

and furthermore, i think this collection did a great job of twisting american sportswear to be cooler than your michael kors or ralph lauren woman, even though there are similarities.

Derek Lam's clothes is getting better and better, one of the best show in NY.

From Cathy Horyn NYT On The Runway

In his press notes, Derek Lam quoted passages from an art review earlier this year by Peter Schjeldahl about California minimalism. Mr. Schjeldahl said of the small art community in Los Angeles in the late 60s: “They shared a serene sensuousness that couldn’t have been more remote from New York’s principled asperity.”

He went on to refer to something the critic Dave Hickey had written about West Coast minimalism: it “is intrinsically concerned with chemistry, with the slippery, unstable vernacular of oxygen, neon, argon, resin, lacquer, acrylic, fiberglass, glass, graphite, chrome, sand, water and active human hormones. This is a world that floats, flashes, coats and teases.”

A Californian, Mr. Lam must have related to the ideas expressed in the review, and I thought I detected in his clothes a modest attempt to make a connection. One of the most striking looks in his collection — and the only example of its kind — was a long-sleeved tunic dress in pale gray cut velvet with an abstract over-dyed pattern on the front. The colors popped in random, saturated bursts. Unstable? Floating? The gray background certainly made me think of the way the light in Los Angeles seems to soften everything.

ss11minimalismdereklam7.jpg

Close up the print resembles the brushstrokes of Monet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NavidNoor
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->