Designers and their Love Lives #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ When a guy is known to troll the streets at all hours for new 'male models' ... let's just say I take him for a guy who is dedicated to his team.

^ When a guy is known to troll the streets at all hours for new 'male models' ... let's just say I take him for a guy who is dedicated to his team.

Ah, infamous boy-safari. :rolleyes: But surely you can imagine that there might be a slight chance of him liking an androgynous girl or two.

^Hedi in the past went out to clubs to scout male models for his show firsthand. He called it his "boy safari"... Not quite as seedy as fashionista-ta suggests, but it's much more interesting phrasing it that way. :lol:

^ No, it was exactly as seedy as I suggest ... there's a thread about it around here somewhere. As I recall a journalist was following him as he literally trolled the streets in the middle of the night, 'casting' for his next show. The journalist had the temerity to describe it as amazing dedication to his business and craft ... :rofl:

I don't know, we very well might have different standards for seediness. :P Here's the extended quote from the article. Still seems kind of par for the course casting director-wise, especially considering the bulk of his work in photography. :ninja: (But then again I'm biased towards anything Hedi-related...)

Hedi Slimane can’t drive. He’d like to learn how, but he can’t find the time. While in Paris, he keeps a car and driver on call around the clock, in case he decides to go out searching for models in the early-morning hours. The car is a Jaguar. The driver wears Dior. “It would be a bit strange for him to show up in a funny suit,” Slimane said.

Slimane is distinguished from most other designers by his practice of casting unknowns or nonprofessionals for his shows. Like everyone else in the trade, he calls them “boys.” He spots them on the street or in clubs—a process that Slimane calls “boy safari.” He won’t really say what the right attributes are, and they can vary from show to show, but generally he prefers his boys tall, lean, slightly androgynous, and English. Usually, he has an assistant make the approach, but if he is alone he will do it himself. He then summons all the candidates to a photography studio and whittles them down to three or four dozen, whom he invites to Paris for fittings. Casting is a year-round job.

One day last September, Slimane was riding around Covent Garden, in London, when a lanky boy caught his eye. The boy was twirling around a lamppost, as people sometimes do in the movies. Slimane had the driver stop the car. He got out and asked the boy if he’d ever modelled and, when the answer was no, whether he’d be interested in trying. The boy’s name was Chris Ulyatt. He was eighteen years old, and it was his first day ever in London. He was from Stratford-Upon-Avon. “I just recognized a type of character,” Slimane told me later. “He was very precisely it.” Ulyatt was wary at first, fearing that this was just “some London bloke,” but he took Slimane’s card. The next day, while Slimane was riding through another neighborhood, he saw Ulyatt again, walking in the street—a coincidence that struck even Slimane, who is not an especially spiritual man, as providential. Ulyatt took the job.
newyorker.com

^ oh I love it. I want to cast like that haha I saw this amazing guy at the subway two nights age he had shoulder length white hair and looked amazing. Lol back on topic. Why is Olivier Theyskens gay he is so beautiful.

^ I'm always asking that, but I never get a response! :doh:

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe he's bi and married to Michele ...

when rick was young and still in LA,prior to meeting michele,he was actually in a relationship with a guy.

i've heard their marriage is more emotional than it is physical.

wow. it's been over a year since i've peeked in this thread....any confirmation on peter dundas? also, i'm curious about the front man at ferragamo, massimiliano giornetti, these days. as details magazine would say, "gay or italian?" he's certainly quite easy on the eyes.

00430m.jpg

style.com

when rick was young and still in LA,prior to meeting michele,he was actually in a relationship with a guy.

i've heard their marriage is more emotional than it is physical.

Of course there are a great many straight couples who could say the same :wink:

In my view his work shows a significant and direct appreciation for the female form ... in contrast to many if not most of the other designers mentioned in this thread.

^ :lol: Not really! Vivienne is ancient! Monique Lhuillier and Donna Karan perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->