Designers Switching Houses & Moving to New Brands

i wonder if they are treating recruiting a CD as an urgent matter or if they already have 1 and just waiting for a non-compete. Must be uncomfortable working there at the moment.

Celine footwear atm is too pedestrian. Speaking of footwear.. I miss Lanvin's classic sneakers. Couldn't quite find a replacement.
I feel exactly the same way about the ballet flats. I bought a couple pair of Chanel, and Lanvin are sooo much more comfortable! And no one knows what they are.

I hate designer sneakers, they are like for reggeaton singers. The ugliest at Céline are the version of the Nikes. Ew. The basic one with the caramel sole are not that bad tbh. The more simple the better when it comes to sneakers imo.

havent seen them after all those gigantic lace sneakers they made. thank for the reccomendation, usually see pierre hardy and they have some really nice designs but never tried. guess its better than getting hermes.
Are you talking about these ones ? God, I miss my Lanvin by Lucas Ossendrijver...
Hermes footwear is often very loud, with those Hs everywhere...

I hate designer sneakers, they are like for reggeaton singers. The ugliest at Céline are the version of the Nikes. Ew. The basic one with the caramel sole are not that bad tbh. The more simple the better when it comes to sneakers imo.
I think that a more intricate style could work if it's done in a single colour (think black or tan/brown leather). It's still in line with the sneaker-leaning Zeitgeist, but it done in a much more luxurious way.
Hermes footwear is often very loud, with those Hs everywhere...
To be fair, as much as I admire Hermes, they're a bit random overall in terms of offering and image. It reminds me very much of fashion brands in the 80s, except that their distribution is more concise. If it wasn't for their eternally cult-status Birkin and Kelly, they would've needed a creative overhaul ages ago.

i dunno, once ive had designer sneakers, there was no way back to regular ones. the comfort on some of the designer sneakers are unmatchable.

^That’s a myth.

In fact, many people think designer = quality, and it’s one of the biggest misconceptions in fashion in 2024. Some years or decades ago it could be the case, but now… not really.

I get them for free and never tried a designer sneaker that is more comfortable than Adidas or Nike. The only one that was super comfortable (but really ugly) was the B01.

And tbh, designer sneakers are not really designed to be comfortable and they don’t pay much attention to it most of the times. Some “cheap” brands (Asics, NB, Nike or Adidas…) invest more in technology and investigation to create comfortable sneakers than Prada, Versace or Dior.

And totally agree with whoever said Hermès image is a mess. It’s the tackiest brand ever. Wearing something by Hermès is super cheap most of the times, and even more if it’s an accessory.

Last edited:
^That’s a myth.

In fact, many people think designer = quality, and it’s one of the biggest misconceptions in fashion in 2024. Some years or decades ago it could be the case, but now… not really.

I get them for free and never tried a designer sneaker that is more comfortable than Adidas or Nike. The only one that was super comfortable (but really ugly) was the B01.

And tbh, designer sneakers are not really designed to be comfortable and they don’t pay much attention to it most of the times. Some “cheap” brands (Asics, NB, Nike or Adidas…) invest more in technology and investigation to create comfortable sneakers than Prada, Versace or Dior.

And totally agree with whoever said Hermès image is a mess. It’s the tackiest brand ever. Wearing something by Hermès is super cheap most of the times, and even more if it’s an accessory.
Loro Piana and Cuccinelli sneakers are super comfy but not designer and on the verge of grandpa having walking issues.
I made the mistakes of buying all the new Dries Van Noten sneakers cause I loved the colorways and the double swooshes on the side, alas there are flat as f*ck, literally no arch.
Also fight me but Dries Van Noten fragrances top Celine ones, no talks needed.

I feel exactly the same way about the ballet flats. I bought a couple pair of Chanel, and Lanvin are sooo much more comfortable! And no one knows what they are.
The Lanvin used to make one with your feet! But they are back, they produces them again.

I have to admit that regarding shoes, except maybe for YSL, I find myself gravitating more to shoemakers brands rather than fashion brands. For flats, I know I can count on Louboutin and Francesco Russo. And the good thing about Louboutin is that women buys more of his heels so I’m always the happiest during sales.

There’s comfort and quality. Some brands are simply not worth it.

To be fair, as much as I admire Hermes, they're a bit random overall in terms of offering and image. It reminds me very much of fashion brands in the 80s, except that their distribution is more concise. If it wasn't for their eternally cult-status Birkin and Kelly, they would've needed a creative overhaul ages ago.

After all, Hermes’s creative director is not a designer and he maintain the kind of classicism attached to the house. But I think the brand is really as good as the designers they put.
Really, the womenswear was better under Gaultier but so were the bags and accessories. His clothes allowed Pierre Hardy to be more sexy.

Menswear is another thing. But then again, Hermes fails terribly when they tried to do products for a younger crowd…Because ultimately, it is sold to 40+ people.

What i love from Hermes is their classic, sometimes tacky iconic stuff like their Collier de chien cuffs, some homewear, jewelry and stuff like that. When it comes to clothes and accessories…I would rather go to the competition.

The magic of Hermes is the effect those orange boxes have on people when you present them!

^That’s a myth.

On the topic of designer sneakers... I mean, I guess for fashion sure, but in reality, what athletes are wearing Prada, Dior or Chanel sneakers? 🤣 That should tell you all you need to know before you make a purchase.

I remember reading the tag on Rick Owens Adidas ones. It literally said "don´t do anything else than walking; because otherwise they would fall apart".

I’m just remembering when a WW merchandiser of a very important fashion brand used one of his 800€ sneakers for a marathon to show to his team how comfortable those sneakers were… After 15 minutes he had to change them for actual running sneakers because he couldn’t stand them 🤣 Yes, IQ below 80 probably.

I remember reading the tag on Rick Owens Adidas ones. It literally said "don´t do anything else than walking; because otherwise they would fall apart".
Luxury Brands cut so many corners on all categories RTW, ACC, stores, packaging, materials, underpaid staff, etc

Just like Haute Couture has some rules to use the name/term, i think luxury should have some universal standard rules applied to or else you cant market your brand as a luxury brand.
Like rules on Materials approved to be used, waste & environmental proces, workers condition, transparency in quantities, technics used for manufacturing, durability garanties and repair & after sales care guidelines and right for clients.

This is so true across everything. I see so many times people being like "once I tried on x designer dress and it fit like a glove. Now I know why it's worth the price" as if that wasn't just a coincidence that the parameters the brand decided to go with fit your body exactly.

AND btw jeanclaude Rick Owens's tags drive me f*cking crazy. They're always like "this garment was made with this material that has crazy irregularities, imperfections, and instability so don't worry that this looks f*cked up because Rick wants it that way and also only wear it inside and stand still and don't move. Please only hand wash in cold water and do not dry clean cuz that is not my fault when you buy this and it ends up getting destroyed after you wear it 3 times."

This is so true across everything. I see so many times people being like "once I tried on x designer dress and it fit like a glove. Now I know why it's worth the price" as if that wasn't just a coincidence that the parameters the brand decided to go with fit your body exactly.

AND btw jeanclaude Rick Owens's tags drive me f*cking crazy. They're always like "this garment was made with this material that has crazy irregularities, imperfections, and instability so don't worry that this looks f*cked up because Rick wants it that way and also only wear it inside and stand still and don't move. Please only hand wash in cold water and do not dry clean cuz that is not my fault when you buy this and it ends up getting destroyed after you wear it 3 times."
Yes, I know! A "Buy at your own risk" tag would suit Rick better! 😅

One thing i learned is that more expensive things get damaged faster because of the delicate materials used.

Cant compare sneakers with athletic wear. Obviously they have different purposes.

Yes, I know! A "Buy at your own risk" tag would suit Rick better! 😅
To be fair it's a legal way to protect companies from crazy claims and all brands do it ...everything is dry clean only .....there is a difference in fine materials of high quality and cheap constructions and non quality materials it often get confused with idea of cost and resistance to elements and stress on these materials like a croc that cant handle water, or the distressed fine cotton t shirts of rick owens getting holes.

The least common is common sense, then again like our foods and other chemical products we use in beauty and household products few people have or take the time to research....in theory we should have insttútions to regulate and protect us but that another can of worms

To be fair it's a legal way to protect companies from crazy claims and all brands do it ...everything is dry clean only .....there is a difference in fine materials of high quality and cheap constructions and non quality materials it often get confused with idea of cost and resistance to elements and stress on these materials like a croc that cant handle water, or the distressed fine cotton t shirts of rick owens getting holes.

The least common is common sense, then again like our foods and other chemical products we use in beauty and household products few people have or take the time to research....in theory we should have insttútions to regulate and protect us but that another can of worms
Yes, that´s it...but in the case of Owens, the quality is abysmal! Here is a blatant example of it:
la ricky esta loca.jpg
This is a screenshot I took from RO web, around 2020. Let´s zoom in the jumpsuit:
Captura.JPG
The central seam is ripped! And no one in his team, literally no one (including Rick himself) cared about that! And here it is, they even did not care about digitally retouching the image before uploading it!!
Quality control is an utopia in fashion industry nowadays...

font: Rick Owens web

^ Not ripped, but 'strained' ... that is why I won't buy silk as a skirt or pants. If you don't have excellent construction, it just won't last, never mind on an adult body.

The Lanvin used to make one with your feet! But they are back, they produces them again.

I have to admit that regarding shoes, except maybe for YSL, I find myself gravitating more to shoemakers brands rather than fashion brands. For flats, I know I can count on Louboutin and Francesco Russo. And the good thing about Louboutin is that women buys more of his heels so I’m always the happiest during sales.

There’s comfort and quality. Some brands are simply not worth it.

After all, Hermes’s creative director is not a designer and he maintain the kind of classicism attached to the house. But I think the brand is really as good as the designers they put.
Really, the womenswear was better under Gaultier but so were the bags and accessories. His clothes allowed Pierre Hardy to be more sexy.

Menswear is another thing. But then again, Hermes fails terribly when they tried to do products for a younger crowd…Because ultimately, it is sold to 40+ people.

What i love from Hermes is their classic, sometimes tacky iconic stuff like their Collier de chien cuffs, some homewear, jewelry and stuff like that. When it comes to clothes and accessories…I would rather go to the competition.

The magic of Hermes is the effect those orange boxes have on people when you present them!
I'll admit I haven't bought any Lanvin shoes since Alber was fired, and have barely looked to see what's available (I did see some abominations at one point with strange metal detail on them). The construction is the best for a ballet flat I've ever experienced across many different brands. After the termination, I set a deadline for myself (a year I think?) and did continue to buy from his collections, both new and vintage. But after that, I've never made another purchase from them as a matter of principle. He was never the same again, and I just can't forgive that.

I don't have any Hermes RTW, but I do have a number of pairs of shoes, and I think they're very good quality for the money. Admittedly I am part of your demographic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julovw
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->