Who Will Succeed John Galliano At Dior? #2 *Update Raf Simons Offically Hired*

Status
Not open for further replies.

mackos

Alluring
Reaction score
This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here
Moderator's Note:

Please stay on topic ... about who will succeed Galliano at Dior.

You may not discuss his dismissal or the reasons for it ... that topic and all of your opinions about the incident have been covered extensively in a thread that has been closed. It's over ... let's not get into more arguments that none of you can win.

The best thing for Dior is: John Galliano**Edited**
Dior can't loose Galliano I hope he come back!

Which would mean going back to the uninspired parades of washed out New Look rehashing due to constantly being under your CEO's pressure. Do we really want this? Looking at Dior collections since 2008, I don't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lacroix as Dior designer?
That's music for my ears, the best thing I have heard today...

i'll probably sound crazy now, but if they're looking for someone 'less prestigious' (eg: someone to pay less) why not antonio berardi? he's been galliano's assistant and his latest collection was heavenly. at least makes more sense than alexander wang. wtf.

Antonio Berardi? That's crazy.. but I still love his work but I prefer Jason Wu

The best thing for Dior is: John Galliano **Edited**
Dior can't loose Galliano I hope he come back! :D

***Edited***
Galliano hasn't made any inspiring collections for quite some time now. Actually, looking back at the archives, I think he is often overrated. Too many instances of ugly clothing interspersed with some flashes of brilliance.

They really need to get away from the drag-queen aesthetic and the overabundance of historical reference. They need someone to restart things.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ I think Gaytten last collection (Haute Couture) for Dior was so Drag-queen inspired. As you say.

Lacroix for Dior is my absolute dream but unfortunately it seems to be very unlikely,
maybe if they hire two designers, i'm thinking in Lacroix for Couture and a promising young designer for RTW.. is it realistic? :unsure:

Ohh! that's a good idea :woot:
I don't know if it's possible.

You guys are weird. On one hand you don't want small designer, such as Berardi (just mentionned) and on the other hand you don't want a star such as Alex Wang. Don't get me wrong I absolutely hate the idea of Wang at Dior, but friends make up your mind!

Arnault will never appoint Lacroix. Christian is an artist, it would be impossible to control him. One of my friend used to work for him at his eponymous house and he was already a nightmare, can you imagine him being told what direction to take commercially? Plus he doesn't sell. Sure his garment are gorgeous but it's couture, it doesn't make money.

But the idea of a duo with an experienced designer and a young one seems like a good one.

Unfortunately I think they are going to keep Gayten.

^ i don't think it has anything to do with star power or lack of. The Alex Wang aesthetic isn't something that can translate into Dior. Can you honestly point to a dress on a celebrity and say "that looks like it's an Alex Wang"? At least with Galliano you were able to ponder that since there was so many recognizable cues - the bias cuts, the asymmetrical rufflings/pinnings, the sharp tailoring, etc.

I would hate to be the one in charge of this decision because all it takes is one wrong direction and then it's time to appoint another head designer. and if that happens often enough, Dior becomes the next Ungaro.

^ Agreed. He's the perfect balance of couture-theatrics and sensible ready-to-wear. It'd be kinda rough for the first few years, but if Dior nurtures his aesthetic , who knows what amazing things Olivier bring to Dior

It seems like the perfect choice for me too. But I doubt the Theory's executive will be okay with that.

I agree, Theyskens sounds like the perfect choice for Dior. I'm sure he would do absolute magic being there.

Someone should start a petition and let Anna Wintour sign. And everyone else that has a bit of a clue of fashion. Dior by Theyskens could become the most influental house of the century, imagine, he would be able to create a whole fashion movement like Lang or even Dior himself. I'm not even kidding or dreaming, I'm deadly serious.

theyskens remains an inspired choice, but one thinks that anna has used her influence to get him appointed to three different positions in recent memory. he has finally landed somewhere that has yielded critical and commercial success, perhaps she's not inclined to pluck him up from that position so quickly.

i knew Olivier Theyskens and some of his Theory collections (which i'm not really a fan of) but i had never looked at his previous work that he's so famous for until i saw his name mentioned here so much.. and i have to agree completely, the guy would fit perfectly with Dior! those gowns he made for Rochas and Nina Ricci are amazing!!!:woot:

i guess it's a problem that he's in Theory now but maybe they can negotiate or something :unsure:.. or maybe they're keeping Bill Gaytten because they're waiting for Olivier, i don't mind to stand a few more seasons with Gaytten if they will hire Olivier eventually -_-

or let's start campaigning! Olivier for Dior!!!:lol:

Oliver for Dior NOW!
PLease, he is the only one capable of continue the Galliano legacy

aren't they now saying John himself may be the new (kinda) designer at Dior? Either way they need to get a real move on. Whilst I'm all for a considered decision this lack of direction really ain't doing the house any favours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->