Detroit Shopping

ShesElectric

Reaction score
I will be heading there next week for 5 days and since I'm from Toronto, I'd like to look around or shop at a few stores exclusive to the states. Anyone know a good street to shop on? Hot Thrift Stores? Where I can find a Neiman Marcus... anything - I just don't want to die of boredom. Help.

I will be staying in or around 8 Mile (yeah, I know.) but am willing to travel a bit :rolleyes:

there aren't really any streets to shop on in that area...

maybe Mack (which is closest to 8 mile), but they have mostly salons, and one or two vintage shops, maybe.

Birmingham is where they would have the shopping that i think you are talking about (where the stores are lined up on a street). they have a store called Tender which has been advertised in a couple Vogues and Harpers Bazaar that is supposed to carry Lanvin...and i'm sure they have other stores similar to that.

but mainly there are malls, and for a Neiman Marcus and Saks Fifth Avenue you would go to Somerset in Troy (about a 20 min. drive). that is really the only decent mall...:unsure: stay away from Eastland, Macomb, and Oakland, you won't find anything good there...:ninja:

here is the Somerset website:
http://www.thesomersetcollection.com/

hope all this will help :flower:

some other places you may want to try...

downtown Royal Oak has some nice shops. they have an American Aparrel, which is mainly basics but you can still find some cute stuff. there are a lot of small boutiques as well, and some good places to eat.

downtown Ferndale has a lot of vintage/thrift stores. some small cafes. plus, it's close to Royal Oak ^_^

also, i forgot to mention that Birmingham has an Anthropologie, which is a nice chain store. they have a website, www.anthropologie.com
...you might know about that store but just in case :flower:

Yeah, I know of anthropologie and we have American Aparrel up here. I'm not into the American Eagle or really any look that chain stores have to offer but I have to say you are a life saver!

I am taking notes and will definately be checking out "downtown Ferndale", Somerset, and Birmingham! I cannot wait - thank you! :flower:

Shop in Birmingham for upscale...yes the store "Tender" is pretty much the only high end boutique in the Detroit area. "110 Couture" really cute and is also in Birmingham...check out "Caruso Caruso" for designer jeans. Somerset is one of the most upscale malls in the country. That is in Troy, MI go North on the freeway I-75 to exit 69 to get there.

-Ferndale has some really cute small boutiques as well...they are all at 9 mile and Woodward.

^Thank you for the directions. I am pretty fimiliar with Detroit as I used to live in Windsor and I have relatives there but not fimiliar enough so thanks!!!

Originally Posted by She'sElectric:
I am taking notes and will definately be checking out "downtown Ferndale", Somerset, and Birmingham! I cannot wait - thank you! :flower:

hope it all works out for you :flower:

ShesElectric said:
^Thank you for the directions. I am pretty fimiliar with Detroit as I used to live in Windsor and I have relatives there but not fimiliar enough so thanks!!!

You're welcome...I used to go to Windsor all the time when I was 19-20 to drink since I am from the Detroit suburbs. I live in NYC now though...let me know if you find anything good back in Michigan!

There is this little shop in Birmingham called Todd's Room. It is mostly a place to get your brows,hair,or makeup done. But they carry a lot of unique cosmetics and hair products. They also carry some really fantastic jewelry. Todd is outstanding at brow's, and I believe that he has been mentioned nationally as one of the best. He is truly amazing.
Here is a link that I found from USA today:
http://www.usatoday.com/travel/destinations/cityguides/detroit/wheretoshop.htm

Also, Ken Paves has a salon in Clinton Twp where he comes in periodically to do clients hair. But the person to see there for color is Laura Niles. She is a Canadian and simply a whiz at color. And to be honest, I believe she actually cuts better than Ken. He's far to into himself.

This post might be too late, but I hope it helps.:D

There is a Linda Dresner in Birmingham, next to Tender. Sells Jil Sander, Balenciaga, Lanvin, Comme des Garcon, Narciso Rodriguez. (The sister store is in NY.)

Thanks for all the tips and info in this thread. My mum recently accepted a job offer in Windsor and while I live in London, it's important to know the shopping in detroit as some things are a lot cheaper in the states. We always got Detroit tv stations in my hometown in saskatchewan (go WDIV!) but this info was much needed. Glad to hear they have some good stores

Just reiteratting how much I enjoy this thread. I haven't been shopping that much in the area (only to Somerset and even then, not the big main mall with the Macy's and stuff. Just JCrew and the more 'upscale' bit) but i will be moving back full time prob. next month so I will investigate birmingham

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julovw
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->