Dior Cruise 2011

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by lovemetwotimes, May 15, 2010.

1. agee

agee Active Member

It is interesting that you mention Karlie, because it has been reported more than once that John Galliano is quite taken with her, and when I was looking at some of the pictures of this collection a day or so ago, I was wondering if perhaps she is the muse who has taken him in this direction. I don't think that everything is mutually exclusive, I can see "corporate" telling Galliano that his collections have to be more marketable and perhaps even youthful, and of all the different things floating around in his brain, he ended up tapping into his infatuation with Karlie creatively, also thinking that going this route would also appease the business side.

I viewed the collection through three lens, aesthetically, creatively and / or directionally and business. Aesthetically, I liked the collection - I am a person with eclectic taste and pretty appeals to me, yeah I agree that it may have gotten too twee and confectionery, but it is not uncommon for Galliano to be excessive in whatever theme he is exploring. Creatively, I did not think that the collection was a mind-blowing experience, so yeah it did not hit any creative or directional high points, and when you think about it, that is not the usual intent of a cruise / resort collection. Business wise, I think that the collection hit its mark, of course that remains to be seen, but I can variations of this stuff in stores and on the red carpet. So in my book, he hit two out of three marks and that ain't bad.

My personal wish is that Christian Dior makes a ton of money off this collection and as a result John Galliano will have the freedom and funds to go all out come haute couture season, the June HC show would be too soon, but my fingers are crossed for the January HC collection.

2. TianCouture

TianCouture Well-Known Member

I have heard the same thing agee and I totally agree with what you said. However, from what I've heard Dior is doing very well.

3. Squizree

Squizree Looking Up

Wholeheartedly agree. I'm also a sucker for everything candy. The clothes are so hypnotically pretty it's difficult not to like it. But in terms of creativity, this isn't even a fraction of what it could be. Then again, like you said, it IS a resort collection and they usually have a very business-oriented direction.

4. agee

agee Active Member

I am sorry, I didn't mean to imply that the company is doing badly, although I did not think that CD was doing "very well" either, if only because of the overall economy isn't that great these days. My impression with Christian Dior is that it isn't much different from other luxury brands in that most of its revenues and profits come from accessories, fragrances and cosmetics. When Galliano first came on board, there was a resurgence of sorts, both in revenues and reputation but that things have waned in recent years, now it's unclear to me whether the leveling off begins and ends with the economy and regardless of the reason, many seem to think, or at least wonder, if there is some form of coporate pressure on Galliano and that is reflected in what we have seen on the runways in recent seasons.

This impression came about because I have cobbled bits and pieces of information together, so if it is incorrect, I would appreciate being given the correct info. :flower:

#204 agee, May 23, 2010
    Last edited by moderator wendla: May 23, 2010
  5. TianCouture

TianCouture Well-Known Member

No problem. When I go into the 57th Street Maison, I always ask the SA's how sales have been, there is one there who always is really nice and talks with me for a while. She only has positive things to say. She also said that Couture does rack in $$$ (obviously) but the main ticket items are what you stated in your post, which is the deal w/ most houses, I agree. She said sales were up in the last quarter, so who knows. And I really think you hit the nail on the head with your post, so no worries.

6. j´adore dior

j´adore dior New Member

My favourite pieces are the ones labeled couture, those two last looks, specially the one on Georgina looked pretty cool, it was a fresh reinterpretation of the junon dress, hopefully it is the direction they are taking coming July.

#206 j´adore dior, May 24, 2010
    Last edited by moderator samantha1: May 24, 2010
  7. Chris_Couture05

Chris_Couture05 New Member

While I loved this collection, I hoping that this is not the theme for the July Couture collection (Im talking about the last 3 dresses) He has done alot of them, I would like however for John to base this upcoming collection of last seasons RTW collection. Cause he used to do that alot and that last collection was really good.

8. amal

amal New Member

amazing
    =======

9. reesewu

reesewu Member

I stumbled on this collection again today and to be honest, the #5 look gives me a strong Barbie à la Moschino feeling (actually many of other looks too, because of the frilly and pastel color palette).