Christian Dior Haute Couture S/S 2011 Paris

i got excited when i saw the reds and thought there would be much more of it
anyway, the full skirt silhouette is amazing and it brought me back to what dior was really about at the beginning.
overall, it s nothing short of a real couture collection

I wasn't blown away, though I really liked some of last gowns specially the one Magdalena wore. I hated the red beginning though.

I was expecting to like at least ONE piece....not really liking any of it TBH.

Dior has kinda lost it's spark!

I found this show to be very generic, very much what we're used to seeing from Dior. Wish it was a little more edgy.

Last edited by a moderator:
The three opening looks are exquisite, I love the reds and gradient tone. It's defiantly stronger than F/W 10.11, I wasn't blown away by that, but I am by this. One thing I'll give John, is that he carries on the Dior silhouette to perfection.

One of the better collections of recent times. Really like the colour tones and also details on the dresses/gowns.

On the one side this is a beautiful collection (I like especially the red outfits from the beginning of the show), but I think it's kinda what we already seen before (as many of you have pointed out here).

Stunning to look at but safe. Everyone knows Galliano can whip up divine creations but when will he break from either old Hollywood glam or rehashes of the original Christian. I adore you Galliano but growing weary. Still, it's absolutely stunning and breathtaking, damn you John you turn me into a cynical hypocrite.

exactly, I was about to say it. at least I could see some effort from him.
I used to like it more when John's glamour wasn't that classy. I know it's beautiful, but that's all, it's not shocking or groundbreaking (even though I find it hard to have something like that nowadays).

this is the most interesting statement in this entire thread. I agree completely. I liked the first couple of looks in red, and after that it just felt like I had seen it all before. I kind of miss Galliano when it was kinda crazy. his clients must be buying this up though, that's the only reason I can believe he keeps on coming up with more of the same

That beeing said, isn't it fascinanting how Galliano manages to find a different inspiration every season and then manages to turn it into the exact same thing?

that's so true, i guess that's why i'm bored of dior yet mr galliano always manages to pop up with a completely different look for himself at the end of the shows everytime^_^, i'm starting to look forward to that more than his creations and having a good chuckle.

I can't decide if this collection is ugly, boring or bizarre. I find nothing beautiful about 99% of the gowns and don't like the fabric on the other 1%. The lack of original ideas or real experimentation in the Dior haute couture collections over the last several seasons has me wondering if it isn't time for a new head designer. IMO

Well, it started out kinda cool with that demonic looking black and red, then the lights go up, the colors become sissified and on with the Barbie gowns we go. Had John actually followed through with the dark, moody Gruau inspired eroticism that he opened the show with this might actually have been less boring than usual, but then it wouldn't be a Dior collection without pastels and frou.

At this point I'm not even seeing a change in the techniques that are being applied to the clothes. I mean he's done the shaded tulle overlay before. He's done the artistic brushstroke embroidery before. Would it kill someone in that atelier to show us something we haven't already seen?

Meanwhile if John's imagination hadn't stagnated years ago he might have thought to tie in the graphic black and red from Gruau to the graphic palette used by Serge Lutens when he was working at Dior cosmetics and done something interesting for a change.

I loved the collection. I thought it was very beautiful. I loved the use of deep reds at the beginning of the collection and all the shoes were gorgeous. As others have already said, however, the silhouettes and draping are all things we've seen before. I personally love the New Look and that seems to be a continual theme at Dior Couture but it would be nice if Galliano could do something a little different.

this is what i love about this collection: it shows that we're in a new era of galliano for christian dior. we had those early years that almost everyone in this forum looks back on with glee, then we had that middle period we have dubbed the "borehouse" years, but we've entered a new era in the past year that has plotted forth headstrong and unwavering. this stuff is no bore. it's not quite the galliano from the early aughties, but let's face it, we're not in the early aughties anymore. chanel didn't put forward the same idea decade after decade. yves saint laurent didn't dazzle us in the same way as the eras of fashion marched on. this dior feels right for the time we're in. it's still more than we're seeing from so many, but it's defiant in its dior-ness. those are quintessentially dior jackets and quintessentially dior skirts. quintessentially dior dresses. and unlike those from times past, they can translate into the real world without that much altering or reimagining.

i'm just so happy galliano has managed to find a way back to relevance that lets him still display his dazzling talent and satisfy his more conservative uppers at the house of dior.

00080m.jpg

style.com

Well, it started out kinda cool with that demonic looking black and red, then the lights go up, the colors become sissified and on with the Barbie gowns we go. Had John actually followed through with the dark, moody Gruau inspired eroticism that he opened the show with this might actually have been less boring than usual, but then it wouldn't be a Dior collection without pastels and frou.

At this point I'm not even seeing a change in the techniques that are being applied to the clothes. I mean he's done the shaded tulle overlay before. He's done the artistic brushstroke embroidery before. Would it kill someone in that atelier to show us something we haven't already seen?

Meanwhile if John's imagination hadn't stagnated years ago he might have thought to tie in the graphic black and red from Gruau to the graphic palette used by Serge Lutens when he was working at Dior cosmetics and done something interesting for a change.

But there is a hint of Serge Lutens in this collection I think, isn't there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->