Christian Dior Haute Couture S/S 2011 Paris

This does look quite new, to me, actually.

On closer inspection, this isn't just a New Look/1950s rehash, this is definitely a late '70s/early '80s take on the 1950s.

Even has a slightly YSL feel to it...

That seems pretty new, for Galliano, to me.

It seems John has been doing this "Dior" theme for the past 5 years and its been getting really boring...

I have to say though, this is the highlight of his style rut. The collection is beautiful and really has a lot of vintage inspirations that are just gorgeous.

with that being said. I'm definitely done with this and want to see some different looks. different inspirations and different styling. Come on John, spice things up.

aside from a few very good walkers, most of the girls when they're walking back and you see them from behind, the heels are all wobbly :lol:

You say you've learned your lesson, but here you sit looking at the collection?! Not understanding your point entirely. :huh:

- I think one element of Galliano that is extremely valuable is CONSISTENCY. While other designers have good & bad season's from time to time- Galliano is always presenting something beautiful. Though, in some ways, he is almost rested in greatness; that doesn't make his work any less great or any less valuable. He has established a credible signature with Dior & for that, Galliano is a living legend. The Dior show doesn't dissapoint, but it also depends on what you define as dissapointment. It also depends on what you define as redundant.

All that aside, no discussion needed;
what is presented here, this season, is beautiful.
That's it- it's that simple.
I don't think you get me. What I tried to say is that I didn't want to look forward to this collection and yet, I still wanted to see some progression from Galliano.

If you call 'consistency' repetition, won't argue that. Because that's what this is. A repetition of the same idea he's been playing around from many seasons now... Yes, he added some flavour to spice them up (the Equestrian theme, the Gruau theme, the Floral-Botanical theme) but I didn't feel an evolution or exploration of those ideas and ended up being overpowered by the same dated New Look reinterpretations and sissy gowns. You can almost decode his collections, in opposition when he used to marvel us with every exit and you couldn't imagine what would follow next. That excitement has gone.

--------------

I'm beginning to think that is kind of delusional to expect the same haze he used to present back in the days - just because these are different times. But I can't help to wonder if this is what the actual HC customer wants from Dior...? Variations of the same dated, stale look?

Last edited by a moderator:
When push comes to shove- haute couture is reserved to the women who buy it.

We are outsiders looking in. If the clients don't like what they're getting from Dior- I'm sure Galliano or the people behind Dior couture would find a way to remedy that and create a different look for next season.

For what it's worth (whether it be Dior or haute couture or Galliano or any other designer), enjoy the collection for what it is as an outsider (outsider meaning NOT a couture client). The women who purchase these looks take ownership of these individual garments and customize it to their own personal tastes and preference regardless of the general look or direction of the show presented. There's nothing wrong with being awe-inspired by these looks (or not). If you don't like it, love some other collection by some other designer or simply wait for the next couture season.

^ What's that supposed to mean? :huh: So even if I'm not a potential customer, I should reserve my sentiments and move on or just go to the next designer? So every fashion critic should and give only good reviews of what they like instead?

Of course the garments would be accustomed to the custemer's demands, but still the design remains and wouldn't it be tiresome to have variations of the same design every season?

Galliano has re-articulated certain elements that he has explored in his previous collections. Within the past 2 years yes, his collections for Dior have almost become homogenized. But keeping in mind the shifting identity of haute couture, the recession and the new emerging markets, I'm not surprised to see Dior sort of refining and reinventing it's most iconic silhouettes because more and more people today (now, more than ever) are either beginning or finally understanding who and what Dior is in 2011 and why they should give a damn about it.

The design process of couture varies from house and house. Unless you have access, knowledge or some sort of influence of the overall design of a collection or the design process in general- why bother getting worked up?

Fashion's identity and accessibility to the public has never been immense as it is now- so of course Dior would further consolidate it's identity to the New Look, at least it's not trying to appear 'young' like it has with it's ready-to-wear collections. I'll agree that Galliano's collection for Dior has been rather stale the past 2 years- but the eccentricity, his reference to a fashion illustrator (Rene Gruau), capturing the sort of haphazard charcoal-like strokes, the melodramatic and very graphic introduction, this collection finally looked more like fashion illustrations brought to life than merely garments worn by models. It's definitely the start of something fresh and optimistic.

Love this show! the dramatic dresses. the skirts. and the wonderful poses of the models!

We've already seen most of the cuts and shapes. But this was really one of the best Dior Couture show in quiet a time.
Maybe it was the dramatic setting **. But still, its good to see that with te same inspirations, he still manage to wow-ed us.
The colors wear beautiful, maybe a bit dark for Summer but still refreshing. That strong red from the begining killed me, and all those degraded pieces were true exemples of an incredible craftmanship.
There's still a lot to do, to get the glorious days of the house back. Though, its great to have a couture season without making a disgusted face while thinking of Dior.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could definitely see a trace of him in the first three or four looks, particularly in look #2, but it felt like a tease that never led to anything, to me anyway.

It was such a tease, indeed. The first minute of the show left me all goosebumpy and then #6, that god-awful brown thing came in as a particularly nasty cold shower. On the other hand, the brown looked pretty good in a lighter shade and merged with light blue on one of the best items from the show #19.

Very elegant and I love love the red. OMG the shoes are to die for also. Dior....oh Dior!

i used to dislike....but now im falling in love with this collection
a few repetition is harmless...i would say..
but this is so classicccccccccc Diorrrrrrrrrrrrr

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Realktz
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"