Discussion: Shooting & Retouching Techniques for Professional Photographers

Yepp. It is a bit tricky to do jewelry so it looks nice. There are a few tutorials on the net but experiment with small pinpoint lights for sparkles and highlights on stones, and maybe larger sources for the metal highlights. Also use black-cards to remove and block where you do not want the highlights and such.Small mirrors can help aswell.

Its all about making it pop in the picture after all and make it sparkle =)

Thanks for the tips as always, Imaginara!
Unfortunately, I didn't have time to look up tutorials;
We had the photoshoot scheduled like that next day.
I ended up doing product shots of the jewelry in a homemade light box:

Then, I shot the girls using a homemade softbox and the light box to act as a soft box for them:

Source: my own photos

I used continuous lighting since I don't yet have flashes, but I think this is definitely a project that requires a flash to get that sharp capture.
They're not mind blowing photos, but they're better than what the designer had before, she loves them, and it was a great experience for me and the models to learn.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well in the end its all up to the client, if he/she loves them its all well =)

You probably would need flash to get the sharp picture yes, and jewelry is a very hard thing to shoot, if you aiming for the magazine look. It requires a lot of light and extremely careful handling of reflections and effect light.

People are much easier :D

Very true xD

I was wondering if you, or anyone, would be able to comment on producing a beauty shot like this:

tumblr_lyjvhvKDrR1qcgbalo1_500.jpg

source: http://emotionally-sl*tty.tumblr.com

Thanks again!

Very true xD

I was wondering if you, or anyone, would be able to comment on producing a beauty shot like this:

Thanks again!

Sure thing, very large lightsource, a big rectangular softbox behind the photographer (who is standing infront of it). So very soft shadows, from the hand, no shadows in the features and very even highlights.

... and then retouching =)

No worries SoBlonde =) And if you look really closely on the teeth, you actually see the reflected softbox with the dark outline of the photographer :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andy190
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->