Discussion: Who Should Be The Creative Director of Chanel?

Hedi Slimane is the first contender for the top spot at CHANEL: I don’t know if the suit do want to give him the same level of control he used to have at LVMH.

I think those 3 names were already reported earlier here..I can't remember if the source was Lauren Sherman or Miss Tweed :lol:

Anna Wintour just loves to meddle in picking a designer and surely she would heavily push Thom Browne.
I feel like her days of being a kingmaker are over though.

I heard it was between Jacquemus, Pieter Mullier and Thom Brown
Tragically I can see only jacquemus working out there. Pieter I just don’t see why he’s so loved. And thom is a really bad Saturday morning cartoon who takes himself way to seriously.

While his clothes are extremely underwhelming, low quality and he is more of a marketer than a fashion designer, the press seems to like Jacquemus, at least Anna Wintour certainly does. He is enough of a puppet to be moved where the brand wants him to and he likes the spotlight just as much as the media likes to spotlight him.

his clothes are extremely underwhelming, low quality

as compared to what though?

I get that jacquemus clothes might not be couture/luxury level craftmanship but it seems people has unreal expectations from the brand that has a more or less high-street pricing and positioning.

For the market Jacquemus is appealing to, that woman already has an assortment of brands to choose from at Revolve.

there is always a cheaper alternative for absolutely everything. not his fault his st tropez, french riviera chic is a hit. He studied/knows the market and currated clothes that people would actually buy.

galliano has demonstrated the ability to take two major (very different aesthetically) brands in Dior and margiela and get more eyes and excitement on the brands. Hedi has done very similar work at ysl and Celine. Both have a reputation for being petulant and difficult at times, I think galliano has a lot more to lose and has more wisdom perhaps at this stage in his career. As far as the can he handle all the work questions, I agree with the person who said up thread that chanel has more resources and beaurocracy than any other brand. The designer at Chanel must be a name, personality and talent on the level of Karl, that's PR 101

But I also think it's interesting that vogue just put out an article about it studiously avoiding Jeremy Scott in the conversation. It makes me think perhaps hedi/galliano/Jacquemus etc are red herrings.

I mean come on Jeremy at Chanel? Who would believe such a thing except if you're fond of gimmicky 90s Chanel rtw.

I mean come on Jeremy at Chanel? Who would believe such a thing except if you're fond of gimmicky 90s Chanel rtw.
I'm definitely not into Jeremy at chanel but I do find the way he's not being discussed interesting from a PR perspective, his connection to Karl, the chanel imagination of that era

Just announce Jacquemus at this point.
I never cared for Chanel, but the fact that he's even in the conversation is insane!! Jacquemus can't even make origami with a freakin' sheet of paper, his clothes look like doodles on a wet napkin, he knows nothing about the female body and when in doubt, whenever it feels like his 15 minutes are coming to an end, he just calls a model trending on instagram, reveals some butt cheeks on the runway through some diaper-looking garment and automatically renews his subscription to the fashion industry, that is as far as his knowledge and expertise go. He's no Karl Lagerfeld.

I can't believe I'm saying this, I may or may not be possessed by volft, but Hedi IS the legitimate heir!! this man has never known independence, he only understands relevancy by being in someone else's payroll, he devours popular culture but is delusional enough to think he discovered it and even created it, he has the technical skills and can happily operate just fine by recycling the same theme over and over until the end of time, he's a man of routine and tradition, potentially on the spectrum, stubborn and prone to erratic behavior ('you will know the power of my name!!!'- anyone remembers this!? this was basically day 1 of his audition for this job and it was 12 years ago!). Hedi is Karl Lagerfeld, therefore he IS Chanel in 2024. For the love of god just hire him and end this debate, there's no debate.

/rant.

The clothes and accessories shown in the video are so vulgar and cheap-looking...it is unbelievable how low this brand has reached. Not an ounce of sophistication and class, it is totally like the rich version of fast-fashion in its vilest form.

The new CD has a lot of work here...well, if the execs allow him/her to do it...

I mean I feel Chanel has always had those things... cheap and vulgar for ages. And then you have the pieces that are more elevated. It's why I think Chanel is so successful - they literally have something for everyone and are somehow able to maintain brand cache

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YANGYING
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->