Discussion: Who Should Be The Creative Director of Gucci?

LadyJunon

Reaction score
Under Michele, Gucci has become known it's utopian gender-fluid maximalism, reviving itself from the bourgeoise of Giannini and seducing a younger, diverse customer, but in recent years, sales seem to be slowing down as Michele was unable to reinvent himself to suit the shift Zeitgeist. In light of the announcement of Alessandro Michele's departure from Gucci, let's discuss who do you think should replace him.

Personally, I'd prefer someone who can keep that gender-fluidity, but wrap it in a more chic, grown-up package. Here are my ideas:

Bruno Sialelli
He has a similar aesthetic to Michele, but it's more refined and put together, something that Gucci really needs right now. His menswear needs work though.

Haider Ackermann
He's like Sialelli, but he knows how to dress grownups and has S-tier technical skills. His approach to gender-fluidity seems more sophisticated and approachable too (not overly masculine on women, not overly feminine on men). Also his links to Timothée seem to be more than Harry at the moment. That said, I'd rather have him relaunch à la Theyskens.

Riccardo Tisci
Tisci could do wonders for a house like Gucci with his background in both streetwear and couture. His more traditionally masculine approach to menswear could bring back the male clientele, who were alienated by Michele. However, I'm wary of how he'll approach the Gucci stripes (the Burberry check traumatised me).

Alessandro dell'Acqua
I consider Nº21 to be the best example of a independent modern-day fashion label and he did wonders at third-generation Rochas, so I believe he could do that on a larger scale. His menswear is meh though...

Charaf Tajer
While he claims to want of becomes the "Hermès/Louis Vuitton of his generation", Gucci could take advantage of the potential of having their own (probably more sincere) version of Virgil's Louis Vuitton if done right. Like Tisci, he can re-attract those male customers.

Last edited:
If we are going with known names, I immediately say Riccardo Tisci. Maybe it is too obvious and too good of a fit in my mind and I would end up being disappointed with the result in the end, I cannot help but see it as incredible. It just works.

Other than Tisci, I have no idea who would work. Whoever it is will need to not do Michele 2,0 nor Tom Ford 2,0 and would need to give us unabashed luxury and glamour !

I doubt they'll hire Tisci because with him you have to hire a tons of his friends. They'll get some kid out of the studio who keeps up with the trends.

No one.

We all need to finally grew up and realise that creative team (like at Margiela) would be the only one, reasonable option for such collos like Gucci.

There's already rumours on who's taking over. So far, there's two candidates: Remo Macco (studio design director) and David Renne (head designer).

Now the question remains on who could be succeeding Michele, who engineered the brand’s turnaround with his unique style. Gucci, in the statement issued late Wednesday evening, said the company’s design office “will continue to carry the direction of the house forward until a new creative organization will be announced.”

One source wondered if Remo Macco, a Gucci veteran who was recently appointed studio design director, could be in the wings. He has been tasked with offering more commercial products to balance Michele’s aesthetics.

“There has been an increasingly strong divide between the show team and the merchandising and commercial studio,” said the source, adding that Macco has acted as “a filter between all the directors of the different categories and Michele,” as Gucci has increased the number of capsule collections and special editions.

Another potential candidate could be Davide Renne, also a Gucci veteran.
Source: WWD

The last thing Gucci needs is "Michele 2.0"...

No one.

We all need to finally grew up and realise that creative team (like at Margiela) would be the only one, reasonable option for such collos like Gucci.
That would be very smart for growing sales, but detrimental for positive press reception from fashion people. This industry despises anonymity, which is probably why OTB revealed Blazy as Margiela's CD, and later publicly hired Galliano. And in this social media designer-celebrity-(pseudo)activist era, they are going to want one person with a "singular vision".

They will hire internally. They have their formula that works of not having superstars designers because of what it comes with (ego and battle in terms of direction). So the next creative director of Gucci already is in the company…
The company is bigger than the creatives. Pinault highly believed in that. Arnault has a different philosophy where for him the creative highlight the values of the company.

Having someone from the studio is not a bad idea in case they wants to have a smooth transition at Gucci.

The CEO stays?

I feel for whoever it is.

they have very big shoes to fill. They can’t be a Michele 2.0 it also need to have a strong enough vision and direction for people to welcome them at such a behemoth of a house.

Michele made his mark in a way many will never be able to say or compare.

I feel they're going for someone close to Michele's aesthetic yet with a commercial eye. I don't think Gucci is willing to undergo yet another rebranding and changing every aspect of its expansive universe, yet something must be changed in order to appeal to the customers again. Therefore, I'm ready for another Slimane/Vaccarello kind of replacement.

I love Daniel Roseberry's work for Schiaparelli.
I really want to see Gucci in his vision.

I love Daniel Roseberry's work for Schiaparelli.
I really want to see Gucci in his vision.
I'd rather he stay at Schiaparelli to be honest. He's doing very well there and I wouldn't want to uproot what seems like a happy marriage for the sake of Gucci. I think he's similar to Ghesquiére in the way that he would be wasted anywhere other than a couture house.

It sounds like they're most likely going to promote from within.

I agree they'll probably promote from within the existing design team just as they did when Michele took over. But yes, this is a very large ship to become the captain of. I don't envy his successor, whoever it is.

They should have kept Michele, period. Otherwise, like some people already wrote it, a team would be a good option in this case. But now that Alessandro's gone, I don't think I care much about the future of Gucci, rather about his own trajectory now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roller69
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->