Discussion: Who Should Be The Creative Director of Chanel?

Luxury is slowing down in China as we know so I wouldn’t doubt a little menswear relaunch to grab this market too… Also they need someone who could boost in-store customer experience.
Rich Asians have always been the main customers for Chanel menswear and they are the ones buying the womenswear anyway.

Chanel menswear capsule line started as a little vanity project from Karl from the sportswear line to a few looks available in very few selected stores. I think however the genius idea was to sign G-dragon as an ambassador as it send a signal that obviously some customers responded too. I wouldn’t be mad to see that return with a proper man bag and things like that.

But IMO, from a business POV, Hedi could be a liability for such a project that deserves long term investment.

The thing that makes Chanel slow these past few years is the fact that they aren’t driving or aren’t part of the fashion conversation. Obviously, there are people willing to buy Chanel but the fashion crowd is not gravitating to it.

So to invest in a full menswear operation from a CD who could leave after his first contract is a gamble.

So to invest in a full menswear operation from a CD who could leave after his first contract is a gamble.
All other CDs could leave after their 1st contract anyway, if the C suit aren't happy with the sales or if they aren't cut for the job.
Basically all new CD is a gamble, menswear or not, and as you said, just a proper mans bag becoming a It bag and the investment of setting menswear operation is recouped.
And they don't need menswear everywhere, just the largest 30 flagships. It won't be affordable at all, except to Crazy Rich Asians (basically the same customers as Dolce & Gabbana Alta Sartoria), and to be honest, I don't think men, as the targeted market demographic, will react positively to the kind of price tag Chanel is commanding.
We aren't accustomed to see and pay this kind of prices, except maybe for some Hermès leather jacket, but if the Chanel tweed jackets are the same price as the Hermès leather ones, the customers choice will be easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexandracorvington
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->