DIY fashion ideas

Aaaaaand... that's it! I'm going to chain myself to a pole, have someone hide the spikes away from view and then check in for DIY rehab!

But before I do that, tell me what you think... honestly! Is this too much?? ^^'

:lol::lol::lol:

I love the cardigan!!! Not too much, nor to little. Is just perfect and I would wear it straight away!!

GIVENCHY Spring 2011 Couture inspired skirt
15m.jpg

style.com

These are my own pics:

Attachments

• Névtelen1.png
    Névtelen1.png
    304 KB · Views: 5
HPrince I LOVE your shoes :shock:
They look like real Louboutin! :clap:

The spiked trench coat is amazing too!
Very well done! :clap: :woot:

DIY: sequined skirt

I really wanted a gold sequined skirt, but the ones I liked were very expensive and it is not a skirt you can wear time after time, so I decided to make one!

You need:
- simple tube skirt (this is a 5 euro tube skirt from H&M)
- sequined stretch fabric
- sewing materials

First, lay the skirt on top of the fabrick and make sure the part where the sequins end is on the upper hem (so the sequins won't irritale your waist) and cut out 2 pieces a bit bigger than the skirt. First, sew on the sides.

If you sewed on the sides, you can sew on the waist-part, make diagonal stitches like below, else when the skirt stretches the threads will break, this way they will stretch along.

cut the lower part so it is a bit longer than the original skirt, you dont have to sew this part.

YAY!!!! Finished

WOW Hprince Your Rollerlads are amazing!!!! Can I ask what are the size of the cone studs you used????

Now, really, thank you guys for your comments and Karma!!

Just a little update... I finally had the chance to wear my Rollerlads this past weekend to a friend's exhibition on a gallery. She's a painter who I frequently model for. Then I went out for a hardcore night... and by hardcore I mean walking around a lot on asphalt and cobblestone, crowded bars with people dancing and jumping around, and the night ended at an awfully crowded club with shattered glass on the floor at one point. The soles held up surprisingly well! But there were casualties... three spikes (from the front of the shoes where I couldn't place the screw from the inside and just glued the spike on) fell off. Considering the amount of people who stepped on them... it could have been much worse!
A lot of heads turned and I got a few compliments too! It was the ultimate test and they passed with distinction! The spikes were replaced and the soles got a new coat of paint. Next time I'll be kinder... No stepping on shattered glass. Promise!

mlaure, I got the spikes online. They're about 7mm diameter by 15mm tall. PM me if you want the address!

dsc04494nb.jpg

picture by me

That's me on the right wearing the Rollerlads at the gallery with my friend Délia, the painter, in the middle.
I tend to bend forward when I'm standing next to shorter people so I end up looking weird. Also I had just arrived from 5 days of snowboarding... that's why only my face is tan!...

Last edited by a moderator:
wow, Hprince. i am so impressed by all of your studding posts! did you use a pencil to mark off the places to stud so the shoes would be uniformly studded? did you get the studs from studsandspikes.com? did your fingers hurt a while? what sort of studding "gun" did you use? terrific job you should be really proud of yourself!

i have studded flats that are also "louboutinesque" none of the studs have fallen out. its just sort of weird when the shoes brush against each other.

Thanks lucy92!! :D I am proud! :smile:

I tried to use a "matrix" to mark off the places, but it didn't work because it's not a flat surface... so I just tried to punch equidistant holes. They're not 100% perfect, but as a perfectionist I'm fairly happy with the result!
The screwback spikes from studsandspikes.com were too expensive and not the "right" shape and size. I used screwback spikes from pethardware.com and a tool I can't remember the name to punch the holes. It's used in saddlery to punch the holes and then hand stitch... I got it at a local leather supplies shop. Studding gun wouldn't be possible because it was hard to reach some areas with my fingers, let alone a bulky-ish "gun"!!
Punch hole -> insert screw from the inside -> screw spike!
Three spikes fell off because they were just glued on (first two rows at the front of the shoes are only glued on because I couldn't insert the screws from the inside) with an extremely strong leather glue and people kept stepping on me!... so three out of 18 is a very positive balance! lol
It took me two non consecutive afternoons to finnish both shoes, because my fingers were sore from punching holes, inserting screws and screwing spikes!

You should post a picture of your studded flats! I'm curious now! Are yours three time heavier studded than they were originally? :smile: Yes, it's weird when the shoes brush against each other... I tried not too but ended up walking funny! lol

EDIT:

19030600.jpg

todocoleccion.net
The tool I used is almost like this, only the metal "needle" is longer.

i think we call that tool an "awl". i'm a bit afraid to use one. its how someone famous lost an eye!

i really want studded converse. bess nyc sells them but they cost 175$. everything in their store is studded and its REALLY expensive. :o

you might get more studding ideas from them. here is a lookbook from an older season
http://www.bess-nyc.com/aw09lookbookweb.pdf

my little diy studded and spiked vest... not finished yet, though.
photo.jpg

more diys i've done...

3c58b7ee9e6241a88d967e6b85a87e64_7.jpg

fringe shorts

photo-5.jpg

studs, studs, studs

Photo_16.jpg

turban

Studs! <3 Gorgeous! Great, great, great pieces, HPrince!
I can't wear them, though- my school doesn't allow studs, lol. p: Maybe I'll look into them more during the summer. :smile:

saw this shirt from a japanese brand, Vanquish, where i got the image from too. but since i'm not getting anywhere near Asia in the next few months, i'd love to make something like that myself. would anyone be able to give me pointers on how to accomplish that?

2mo2q84.jpg

Love that shirt Street_a_Licious!!

I guess you just have to pick a white shirt and then either hand paint it (extremely difficult!) or find the feathers design or picture and then print it on a good quality, thin transfer... One of those that you iron it and it transfers the design. That might be the easiest way with the best results... Just find a nice feathers design and that's about it!

Good luck with that project! :wink: Don't forget to post it when it's done!

DIY-Burberry-Trench_v3%5B1%5D.jpg

Do It Yourself: Burberry Trench

While we do enjoy the season's ample offering of ultra-feminine and ladylike looks, every now and then our inner bad girl craves something with an edgy twist. And while that longing can be satisfied by a bevy of looks—like channeling the '90s grunge era with a swirly babydoll frock and combat boots or creating a biker-inspired look by pairing a pretty blouse with slim leather pants—nothing reflects that tough-girl spirit like an insanely cool studded trench. It's slightly dangerous, a little bit punk rock, and very chic all at the same time. Plus, it's a must-have piece for your wardrobe this spring, which is precisely why we're creating our very own in today's edition of D.I.Y.!

So what's the inspiration behind this amazing do-it-yourself challenge? The super sleek trench coats from Burberry Prorsum's S/S 11 collection, of course! For spring, Christopher Bailey put a biker spin on the British brand's iconic jacket, showing a variety of styles and silhouettes that were heavily studded, banded in black leather, and cinched with neon patent leather belts. The Bonded Nappa Biker Studded Trench ($7995, 800.284.8480) featured above is our personal favorite, as it contrasts the jacket's warm honey hue with rows of polished gold spikes running down the sleeves. The resulting piece has a luxuriously edgy look that is surprisingly versatile, as it can be styled with a rugged ensemble or juxtaposed against a slinky, ultra-bright frock—no wonder we're so obsessed!

Now if you agree that Burberry Prorsum's studded trench is a wardrobe necessity this spring, but are on a strict budget, we know just the person who can help: Erica Domesek of P.S. I Made This! The D.I.Y. guru gave us some amazing insight on how to create this key piece, and though it might seem like a time-consuming project, we promise the results are totally worth it. So grab a classic trench and round up all those extra chopsticks you can find, because today she's sharing all the secrets on how to craft a one-of-a-kind studded trench with just a few, easy-to-follow steps!—Jessica Baker

INGREDIENTS:
-H&M Trench Coat ($60)
-Approximately 400 chopsticks or candy apple sticks
-Handsaw
-Gold spray paint
-Chalk
-Glue Gun

DIRECTIONS
Before you begin: if you're particularly good with a handsaw or know someone with a power table saw, proceed with Step 1. For those of you who don't have those tools handy, you can make an alternative version of this trench by purchasing and using gold studs instead. If you choose to do the latter, please refer to the second set of instructions and note that this project will get a bit pricier.

1. Cut down chopsticks or candy apple sticks to about an inch with a handsaw or ask someone with a power table saw to cut down for you. You should end up with 164 pointy ends for each sleeve.

2. Once you finished cutting the sticks, it's time to paint them! Make sure you're in a well-ventilated area and are working on a flat surface. We suggest protecting your workspace with old magazines or newspaper.

3. Apply a layer of gold spray paint to the pointy tips. Leave them on your workspace for approximately 15 minutes or until dry. Flip them over and spray the other side.

4. Before you apply the spikes to the jacket, use white chalk to outline a rectangle on each arm, starting at the shoulder and ending at the elbow. You want it to be large enough to fit approximately 24 rows and five columns, but this will vary depending on the size of your jacket and how many spikes you want on it.

5. Space the gold spikes evenly in each row and use dabs of hot glue or super glue to secure each spike onto the jacket.

6. Wait approximately 10 minutes or until the glue is completely dry before wearing the trench.

If you choose to use studs:

INGREDIENTS
- H&M Trench Coat ($60)
- 17 bags of Tree Spikes ($13/bag of 20) in Gold
-Leather hole punch or X-Acto knife
-Chalk

DIRECTIONS
1.Before you apply the studs to the jacket, use white chalk to outline a rectangle on each arm, starting at the shoulder and ending at the elbow. You want it to be large enough to fit approximately 24 rows and five columns, but this will vary depending on the size of your jacket and how many studs you want on it.

2. Create small holes using a leather hole punch or X-Acto knife where you would like each stud to go.

3. Press the post of the stud through the small hole and screw the back onto the post.

Runway image, courtesy of Burberry/article from whowhatwear

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->