Does Designer Make you Fashionable?

no, dallas is full of badly dressed people in expensive designer clothing.

loubylou said:
Oddly enough, we have a culture in Manchester where the less you pay for a stylish garment, the better. It almost proves your style intelligence, the fact that the item was cheaper.

Might also have something to do with the obscene cost of living in this country.

Definitely no. Although it also depends. If I was Pat Fields with a fashion allowance of Bill Gates' AmEx, I'd look fabulous in the latest runway looks. I mean, jUSt look at SATC and The Devil Wears Prada. Nearly all Designer, big names, some logos splashed at some places, but still tasteful. To say "Designers = Bad" is therefore unjustified.

On the other hand, simply relying on big names is bad. You don't have to have money to look proper. That's what I keep on telling my friends the whole time when they say "But I don't have that kind of money!". It's hardly a reason. A lotta people here look better than what some stylists/editors can fix up with the latest runway trends.

As for BryanBoy, I made an executive decision not to call her boy. There's hardly a boy underneath those clothes... and makeup... and handbags (although I'd kill for some bags.... but *pssshhh* :ninja:)

My answer is going to be yes and no. No, I don't believe designer clothing automatically makes you fashionable but in my experience many times the more money I spend on clothing, the higher the quality is, the more flattering it is, and the more confident I feel. Now I'm not saying this is always the case. Anyone can ruin any piece of clothing but sometimes I feel like I could look a lot thinner, chicer, etc. if only I had more money to spend on certain designers.

Well, money can't buy you good taste, of course. But IF you're blessed with good taste, it's easier to dress well with money than without it. With a few exeption like ebay, some chainstores and vintage, most cheap stores have rather boring clothes, while designerlabels more often has the "little extra something". IMO, it's easier to look good in something a few people wear than something everyone wear. That's why i feel more stylish in a Vivienne Westwood-piece than a H&M one. I prefer mixing designer, vintage and highstreet. And of course, there's the people who look good in anything and can wear everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
It definitely does not make you fashionable.
I think people who take cheap clothes and make them work are a hundred times more fashionable...because you have to know what you're doing to make it work...rather than someone who indulges themselves in designer things that are in.
Fashion is really about the style..vibe..what flatters a person the most... etc.. not the lame brand. I wish people would learn that, seriously people at my school are all like..."OMG I LOVE THE COCO CHANEL NECKLACES THEY ARE SO ADORABLE<33"
..... uh wtf. They're a logo of the brand. How is that adorable?!.... & these people at my school, I can guarantee you, that they have never seen any collections from Chanel.
Sorry this is a vent. But to answer your question, no.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can't buy style, anymore then you can buy class. Sure you can buy stylish clothes and wear head to toe designer stuff but that in no way means you have a good sense of style.

I really think it's hard to discuss this, as most people agree with the fact that no, money can't buy you style. But it sure helps though, as you can spend more on clothes, get more limited stuff, etc.

I think with desinger clothes- it's easier to make mistakes. If you have really good style, and a good sense of what looks right on you, designer clothes gives you more options of interesting and unusual styles to try.

at the same time, if you aren't very stylish, or you don't know exactly waht looks good or bad, ththe unusual naturte of many designer items makes it easy for you to look like a freak. I think for people like this, chain stores do a good job of watering down runway ideas into easily matchable, safe looks

at the same time, if you aren't very stylish, or you don't know exactly waht looks good or bad, ththe unusual naturte of many designer items makes it easy for you to look like a freak. I think for people like this, chain stores do a good job of watering down runway ideas into easily matchable, safe looks

I agree, when I see chain stores I see the "trends" that I see most people wearing but with designer it definitely gives you the option of creating your own trend or style and finding stuff that you like, that's right for you instead of being limited to choices that everyone else wears.

I also agree with the poster above stating that wearing designer makes you feel more confident. When ever I put on designer clothes I get a lot of compliments and I feel so much more confident (which is hard because i'm like anti-confidence) in myself.
But no I do not think wearing designer clothes makes you more fashionable. Hell I wasn't as fashionable as I was say a year ago. I think along with style, you grow. You either grow into fashion or you don't. As for me I think i'm growing into fashion, i'm becoming more aware of cuts, styles, colors, fabrics all the choices available i'm learning what works and what doesn't.
Being fashionable doesn't happen overnight, in some cases if you have a parent, sibling or friend that always looks good then it definitely helps you develop.
For instance my mom is very fashionable and has great style (people tell her all the time) and i've definitely learned a thing or two about style from her.

Does designer make you fashionable? probably. is fashionable a good thing? certianly not always! it is more important to be well dressed, which can be a completley different thing!

mette-marit, you make a very good point. Being well dressed and being fashionable are often two different, and sometimes incompatible things.

*mette-marit* said:
Does designer make you fashionable? probably. is fashionable a good thing? certianly not always! it is more important to be well dressed, which can be a completley different thing!

That is a very good point. I would rather be stylish and elegant than fashionable. Being in fashion doesn't interest me.

As for the actual question. First of all, what do we mean by "designer"? Do we mean huge luxury good companies like Chanel and Dior, who's logo brings instant status (or so some think)? There are people who are fashion designers but are not as "fashionable" or logo-ed, like Ann Demeulemeester and a lot of indie designers who do well. I would certainly think that kind of clothes can make someone stylish, but if we mean does slathering yourself with logos and it-products make you looks stylish, then not.

If you do have a taste and know what suits you, it is good to be able to afford pricier items too. It is too difficult to make your fashion dreams come true if you don't have money. But money can never buy elegance or style. If the person has a good idea, money can help her bring out the idea of elegance she/he already possesses. But if you think the price of your clothes is synonymous with elegance or style, then you are going wrong. Look at all the celebs, they have tons of money and still 99,9% of them dress like they have no idea of elegance or style. Sure, they are covered with noticeable designer items of the season, but are they stylish? No. Are they fashionable? Probably yes.

Elegance and style are not up to money, they are up to your thoughts, manners, creativity and personality. Fashionability is up to clothes. I guess you can these days achieve fashionability by shopping at H&M though, because they seem to copy every trend. So no, to be fashionable you don't need designer, but it will certainly help. It can make you fashionable, just bring style.com's "Season's It-items"-list with you to the closest Chanel store and ta-dah, you will be fashionable. Not necessarily stylish or elegant though.

Yes, I would much rather try to be elegant,stylish and well dressed rather than fashionable. anyone can do fashionable without even trying. it's right there in front of you, all you have to do is buy it. and you don't need expensive labels to do that either. very cheap chain stores do it as well! but being well dressed requires that you really put a lot of thought into what you're wearing!

If we mean these designer items which have a lot of status, like Chanel or Dior, you also have to note that the reason why these are thought be so "fine" is the image they have created, not because the product is so good. It's the image and logo that cost when you buy designer. The product might be the most horrible, but business men are very quick to create a feeling that it's a must have for us with their clever advertising.

Of course many more costly clothes have more quality, but price tag of 1000€ for a t-shirt does not mean instant quality. Mostly it means instant status. Chanel has such high prices so everyone couldn't afford their clothing, that they would stay in the "elite".

So to say, almost all of this "luxury fashion empire" talk is about clever advertising and product placement, NOT style, unique design or quality.

well,as i always say,there is an extreme difference between having style and being fashionable. fashionable to me,just conjures up a victim prevolence. and no,absolutely not at all,does designer labels automatically equate to having style. although,some people assume they are just by wearing a label(which is truly pathetic,if you ask me). you can make your own clothes and have more style than anybody wearing designer head-to-toe.

the point is,designers propose something,it's not their job to give anybody style.

no designer labels can make someone 'fashionable' if they dont have some fashion sense by themselves..
excuses but it is almost tragic to see people desperately throwing designer names together praying this will bring some kind of style in their life

shadow said:
But he comes from the Phillipines. He lacks any fashion education. I have never been to Asia but have noticed how logo-obsessed they are. Apparently 42 % of japanese women:shock: have a LV something.

Many French women consider french fashion labels tacky, they say "ça c'est pour les japonais".

i'm sorry (actually, not really) but theres something inherently wrong with your entire post. you're implying that bc he's from the continent of asia, he lacks any fashion education. is this supposed to support your argument that this designer-obsession is a trait of fashion victims? i wonder how many TFS members here from the west you would deem chavs lacking in fashion education as well? 42%?

i would say women cross-culturally own about the same percentage of LV items.. especially you, who owns a LV epi bucket herself..:innocent:

you say many french women make such derogatory comments so easily? i'm amazed you can insult so many cultures so instantaneously..:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jozwiakanja
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->