Does Designer Make you Fashionable?

Dableu said:
* gasp *

My answer will DEFINETLY be " NO ". It's so horrible...
Once one of my aunt wears Dior blue logo top wth jeans and dior logo bag wth the same matching shoes.. I could only shrieked in horror...It's not what you call fashionable and stylist..It's Showing OFF !!!

I would never wanna look like a walking closet..hehehehe

Oh my gosh! I know how you feel. I saw this girl at church. She was a heart stopper. She was carrying a pink Dior handbag (with all those logos and chains), wearing pink Dior mules (with all those logos) capped 'the ensemble' with an orange dress. She's got a pretty face ...but yikes! Everything was wrong...soo wrong for her. I was horrified. :blush:

Oh and my answer to this thread a big NO!!!!!! One can wear a $5 top, $5 dollar skirt, $10 shoes, $20 handbag... and still look fabulous!

Some people think that if they wear designer clothes and carry designer handbags they're style icons (the COOLEST of the COOL). It's their attitude that makes them trashy and cheap. That sick mentality has eaten their sense of style and elegance. You can tell anyway, they'll FLAUNT it!!!

Cheers!!! :heart:

Pastry said:
I always thought the reason desinger clothing is designer is because it's original, beautiful, and well-crafted. Not because it says 'Chanel' 'LV' or 'Chloe'!

exactly right!!! excellent point there. :flower:

I think that designers sometimes make it easier to be trendy or stylish because they literally are (in many cases) the trendsetters and the first part of the fashion industry that tailors a new product to satisfy a new trend or create a new one.

However! In order to be creative-stylish-aesthetically appealing with the different prints, colors and texture-materials-- you still have to have that "gift" (or good stylist) to make anything from anyplace work.

People aren't really being fair to Bryanboy, everybody's posting the most ridiculous of his outfits. If you actually look at his blog and see his day-to-day outfits they are much better. He wears pretty subdued colort most of the time and few logos, the only thing I don't like about his style is all the it bags.

Designer doesn't make you fashionable, but it does make it easier. At least for men, high end clothes are way more interesting.

You are fashionable or you are not. You can wear all designer items and still look very unfashionable (look at Paris Hilton)

Designer can easily make you fashionable, but isn't that the same as being trendy? Designer cannot make you look stylish, like the post above said, you either have style or you don't. Designer has nothing to do with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
kan-i-ta said:
Explain that sentence to me, I'm not English, I don't get it:huh:

It sounds like Yoda from the Star Wars!:woot:

I'm a bit confused myself...

Designer doesn't equal good taste, basically.

It's a paraphrase of a Shakespeare quote or something, I guess?

Money doesn't buy good taste, or common sense for that matter. Sorry, I'll try to be more succinct in future. :D

Merrysage said:
Money doesn't buy good taste, or common sense for that matter. Sorry, I'll try to be more succinct in future. :D

True, and it has been demonstrated too many times...when will people who have the money to buy designer on a regular basis learn? Of course not all of them are like this, but some do believe in this.

Merrysage said:

Doesn't matter, you challenge us to learn something:flower:

WhiteLinen said:
True, and it has been demonstrated too many times...when will people who have the money to buy designer on a regular basis learn? Of course not all of them are like this, but some do believe in this.

OMG, isnt that the truth. A look at the way some celebs dress is ample evidence. I don't know who's to blame, them or their stylist. :D

kan - lovely thought, but I wouldn't presume to do any such thing. :wink:

Designer clothes might make you LOOK as if you are trendy because people are really used to just assuming that anything designer MUST mean that it is trendy. But if you really truely were trendy you wouldn't need designer clothing. Loads of shops can make you look trendy without the need of high fashion.
Money does not instantaneously make you look fashionable.

WhiteLinen said:
Designer can easily make you fashionable, but isn't that the same as being trendy? Designer cannot make you look stylish, like the post above said, you either have style or you don't. Designer has nothing to do with it.

100% agree.

Theres a difference between fashionable and stylish.

Whether your wardrobe is worth £200 or £200,000, a designer label does not automatically equal style. You can make just as huge a fashion faux pas with an expensive item as you can a cheap one. Brand does not come into the equation, although it can increase or decrease the pretige of a garment.

Oddly enough, we have a culture in Manchester where the less you pay for a stylish garment, the better. It almost proves your style intelligence, the fact that the item was cheaper.

kukai said:
Pastry said:
I always thought the reason desinger clothing is designer is because it's original, beautiful, and well-crafted. Not because it says 'Chanel' 'LV' or 'Chloe'!

I have plenty of items in my wardrobe which are original, beautiful, well-crafted and NOT designer?

Me and my friend were discussing a tie our teacher wore (we're such losers, we were THAT bored) and this girl came around and said:
''Er...Its D&G it can't be ugly''.
I replied: ''Just because its designer doesn't mean it is automatically nice''.
She didn't have a reaction, too embaressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
franckcl17
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->