Does Designer Make you Fashionable?

i love how you are all bashing one of tfs members :wink: i'll stay neutral in the bryanboy thing.. :lol:

Come on, the guy (gay?) is out to provoke and enjoying every minute of it !

no....walk into Target, they have lots of fashionable things. If you have the $$, a few (or all!) designer pieces are nice, but you can look "high class" or expensive without paying much at all....and besides just looking expensive, you can look good.

Conversely, you can spend lots of money to look cheap.

Well if you want my two pennies worth then i feel taht all the money in the world doesn't neccessarily buy style or good taste. Like for instance, one person could spend hundreds of £'s on a lv print bag, but are they fashionable? not neccessarily

Actually, just what ShuggaStiletto said ^^^^^^^^^^^^Basically what i was getting at, but in better words

Some people (I have actually met just ONE in my life) can look stylish whatever they wear, usually they have amazing physique and dress very simple. The guy in question was a black student from Nigeria. He bought all his clothes in Marks & Spencer but wore them like they were from Zegna.:shock:

This might sound ironic coming from me because I'm a label wh*re but designer does not make you fashionable. I can wear something from American Apparel or H&M and still look better and more fashionable than someone dressed head to toe in Dior or Chanel or any other label. It's all in the way you carry yourself and the way the clothes fit.

reese06 said:
This might sound ironic coming from me because I'm a label wh*re but designer does not make you fashionable. I can wear something from American Apparel or H&M and still look better and more fashionable than someone dressed head to toe in Dior or Chanel or any other label. It's all in the way you carry yourself and the way the clothes fit.
does that seem somewhat arrogant? I feel it is more about understated inconspicous sense and styling that really makes you look good. You know, an eye for a good cut in a suit of well made shoes rather than just buying the label, or not as the case may be.

reese06 said:
It's all in the way you carry yourself and the way the clothes fit.

I don't know about "how you carry yourself" but yes- the important thing is not how much it cost, or what brand it is- but instead the fit, the cut, how it lays, how it is shaped --that sort of thing

Pastry said:
i jsut discovered bryanboy recently...

fff i wholeheartedly agree!:lol:

Saying that though I do find him quite hilarious, I think he's quite tongue in cheek himself...and if I've mistaken that...well. he's even more hilarious than I initially thought. This day and age is such a perfect time for him to be around.

shadow said:
But he comes from the Phillipines. He lacks any fashion education. I have never been to Asia but have noticed how logo-obsessed they are. Apparently 42 % of japanese women:shock: have a LV something.

Many French women consider french fashion labels tacky, they say "ça c'est pour les japonais".

And i must agree... :blush:

Nothing gives me a bigger kick than wearing or carrying sth gorgeous but not labelled, which attracts so much attention that complete strangers come up and ask me where I bought it. I have a couple of such things and both were my mother's ! Gracias mami!:heart:

I'm gonna have to agree with what the other people said, defiently not. No matter how many desginer things you buy, unless you know how to wear the clothes in a way that suits you and makes you comfortable, you're not going to look fashionable.

No way. I think label whores are the opposite of fashionable. If you have the money to buy designer clothes all the time, then fine. Designer clothes are obviously made better. But if you buy all the logo plastered crap and wear it together- it looks pathetic (eg that guy).
Fashionable is pulling together a stylish outfit that suits you, and being comfortable in it.

here is my absolute truth, since there was a question at the start of this topic. i think all of this is subjective, and while i believe in being stylish for me and me only...you have to remember that what you wear represents you to the world. to me i don't sit and judge others because they love labels or those of us who rummage through the indie bins. i think you do what makes you feel good for you. when you do it for anything other than yourself then you will run into problems. i do not think designer labels makes the person, but it can make a person look very tacky if not worn well. :lol:

as to the young man who got chosen as a point of reference, i have never heard of him but he seems to not take himself seriously, and sometimes that is the only fashionable pill some need to take. i think to wake-up and think hard about your clothes is too much work, but maybe i am just getting too old. :P

If you wanna be fashionable, sometimes designer labels can get you that... but you also have to wear it with confidence and attitude. You can pull off something like Chanel and at the same time, something from Target.

What makes you fashionable?

The gift/ability to be able to effectively co-ordinate different colors, cuts, styles, with different seasons, moods, etc. That is all. It's a creative/artistic talent that you can't teach or read from Cosmopolitan or another cloner magazine.

i dont think that you have to have designer to be fashionable. even though i do think having like one subtle piece or some designer thing that you are dying for can be nice. sometimes going designer all the way can be kinda tacky and i think be fashionable is being smart and clever with your clothes. if you like designer things than great for you. just be creative and have fun. it's only clothes you'll survive :smile:

and for that whole asians about brands thing. i'm filipino and i totally agree. the rest of my family are like brand obsessed all my cousins have donney and bourkes and LVs and so do my aunts. Me i admit i have been guilty of wanting a vintage gucci speedy. but i think for my family its more that my parents and aunts and uncles didnt grow up with alot so when they came to the states and became sucessfull they wanted the brand clothes that couldnt get and the cars they couldnt get and houses they couldnt afford when they were in the philippines. they got the bad influences too like louis vuitton, gucci, prada and that idea transended into their offspring. for me brands arent that big of a deal especially now there are so many fakes out their that people sometimes automatically think you have a fake purse...

shadow said:
But he comes from the Phillipines. He lacks any fashion education. I have never been to Asia but have noticed how logo-obsessed they are. Apparently 42 % of japanese women:shock: have a LV something.

Many French women consider french fashion labels tacky, they say "ça c'est pour les japonais".

What does that mean??

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loquillinben
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->