Dyeing clothes

coldrice...check the article above...
there are special dyes for silk and wool...

i would be careful...becuase if part of the process is to dye the garment in HOT water...there is a great risk of the wool shrinking...
the website listed above seems to have special dyes for silk and wool...so maybe that's your best bet...:flower:

meg...
i would just go ahead and re-dye them in black...
why do you need to take the colour out unless you are dying them a different colour?...
but all dyes fade out of plant-based fibres....they will just fade again...
best bet is to dye them and then never wash them again (dry clean) or to hand wash in cold water only with a very gently soap...

i wash all my hand dyed stuff on gently cycle in cold water with dark colours in case the colour runs...because it usually will somewhat...

thanks for all the tips. think i will pick up some dye sometime this week and try it out :flower:

Softgrey, SoCalledPrep, how are your colors holding up? Anyone else care to share experiences?

Silly question about this, please :P I check the website listed earlier, but I couldn't really find an answer...

I have a pair of cargos that are a bright, bright shade of orange. I feel like a pumpkin everytime I put them on :rolleyes: I'm hoping I can salvage them by dying them a suitable shade. Can you dye something that's already constructed like that with pockets & flaps and such? May be a silly question, but I'm concerned that it might not dye evenly. Thanks for any insight :flower:

seraphelle said:
Softgrey, SoCalledPrep, how are your colors holding up? Anyone else care to share experiences?

I used Rit black die to die my pink school bag and a white tank. The school bag is now plum and the beater turned out gray. I enjoy the tank top being gray because, I already had a black one :D The pink bag though... it's a beautiful plum color, but i wanted BLACK.

Curious said:
Silly question about this, please :P I check the website listed earlier, but I couldn't really find an answer...

I have a pair of cargos that are a bright, bright shade of orange. I feel like a pumpkin everytime I put them on :rolleyes: I'm hoping I can salvage them by dying them a suitable shade. Can you dye something that's already constructed like that with pockets & flaps and such? May be a silly question, but I'm concerned that it might not dye evenly. Thanks for any insight :flower:
it's fine...the way to get it more even is to stir it frequently and reposition it in the water...
even after you pull it out and let it dry...
you have to wash it once before wearing it...and the dye will even out more then...
it will also fade a bit, so be prepared for that...

i happen to like the dye to be somewhat uneven...so i sort of fold up the thing or twist it and just rearrange it once while it is soaking...so that i get a 'mottled' look...adds texture and interest...imo...

it's easier to dye something evenly if it is smaller i believe...cause the dye doesn't get caught in the folds so much...

my stuff is holding up fine and i may do this again soon... :flower:
:heart:

:clap: Yay!! Thanks for the reassurance. Makes me happy to know I might be able to save them! I'm not sure what I was thinking about the color to begin with :huh::lol:

:flower:

i did it again...
purple this time...

interesting results...
the things you add to the dye first are a very different colour than anything you might put in later...

*now i am thinking about dying a cashmere vest that i have...
it is really amazing and i love it ...
but it is currently a moss green...which is not so good for my complexion...
so i have never worn it...:doh:
i think i might try some black this time...
i also have a white victorian-style mutton slv blouse that is not 100% cotton..it is a jaquard stripe...
so it might be interesting to see how it takes some black dye...
i might even try to dye some crochet doilies that i have been trying to figure out what to do with...

i have a very bright fuschia dye that i have to figure out what to do with...
:ermm:...

**curious...did you ever try it?...

Last edited by a moderator:
:ninja: no... my mending basket keeps growing and growing. Eeek!

I'm glad you posted this though! Puts it back in the forefront of the brain. Perhaps a weekend project? Now I have that smocked linen blouse with the unfortunate bleaching and a white T w/ a mysterious blue streak to tackle too :P What kind of dye are you using?

The blouse project sounds interesting! And the cashmere sweater... scary :lol: But, hey, you're not wearing it anyway so what have you got to lose. That's how I feel about the linen top.

Last edited by a moderator:
Leather Jacket

Hello
I am not sure if this is the right place for this but i have just brought a beige leather jacket off ebay and want to dye it black. Does anyone have any advice.
leather.jpg
Ebay pic

Since all of this prom talk and what not is in the air...i was wondering if maybe someone could help me with my prom look? I already have me dress. It's a pink Betsey Johnson dress, but I'm still debating what jewelery, shoes, hair, or makeup to wear with it! Uhmm I have blonde hair (kind of a Jennifer Aniston shade) and hazel eyes, if that helps! lol. I'd appreciate any kind of advice! ^_^
Here's the dress on this link....it's the pink one on the right, with the 3 straps around the waist. http://www.edressme.com/promdresses.html

Attachments

• dress.bmp
    336.2 KB · Views: 6
stella^^..i think you posted in the wrong thread?...:ermm:...

anyway...i dyed another batch over the weekend...BLACK...
used RIT dye this time and got bold...
dyed a moss green cashmere vest-brand new never worn...
a burgundy silk lagerfeld for h&m dress-got a spot on it...
and a vintage victorian-esque blouse...

am really please with the results...:D
the dress is black
the vest is very dark mossy grey
the blouse is a pale steely grey

yay!

Dark mossy grey - sounds nice. I have this long white linen dress that is impractical being white - am thinking of dying it scarlet. Or basically any color that isnt white really. Have been inspired. Cheers everyone:flower:

Glad to hear of the good results! I've so many things I want to dye but I don't really live near a homestore where I can a.buy dye or b.get some sort of container to do this whole project in without mucking everything up. Is a regular ole plastic container fine?

Ps softie post pics! I really want to see! the jacquard stripe sounds really interesting

i posted the vest in what are you wearing the other day..:flower:

i had pics to post but they accidently got deleted...
will try to get around to taking more...

Meg, if you have Wilkinson near you, then they sell Dylon machine dyes - only a washing machine and salt needed. Have not used that brand before because I've only lived in UK for 2 months and our already half-dead washing machine would propably fall apart.

Check out local trift stores for old pots or kettles? I found a big old pot from my garage :blink: and that's what I've always used at home, not here in UK.

i tried to dye a pair of jeans once and it went rather t*ts up so havent really dyed anything since! xcoldricex i think that jacket looks fab check, y dya wanna dye it?

Dye leather jacket

I've posted this up before but the pic didn't work. Anyway is there a chance of changing this jacket black- by dye or taking it somewhere or will it just get ruined.
Pic - My Leather coat
leather.jpg

I dyed a burgundy cotton velvet blazer black tonight using the stovetop method and a Rit dye. It's still drying but it looks like it's either going to be a very dark plum or a soft black, both of which I'd be happy with. I had never worn the blazer as the burgundy was a bit of a lurid shade so I've either got myself a new jacket or ruined a jacket I never intended to wear anyway, win-win for me. :smile:

Decent prices on a good source of supplies, along with information/instructions on dyeing:
dharmatrading.com

And if you're in the U.S., I hear the shipping is extremely fast!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericbaig68
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->