Editors Threaten to Skip Milan Shows Next September

Well at least Galliano doesn't have to worry about any of this.

that's random...

on the same note, i don't know why Tom Ford was mentioned to be part of LFW. he doesn't show during LFW. his collections are viewable only on appointment. anytime.

It was random, but that thought just popped into my head haha.

I know that people are saying they feel sorry for London, and I kind of do too, but I think we should consider that lack of attention for LFW also has to do with designers. When designers like McQueen and Galliano chose to show their collections in Paris, it didn't exactly help London's standing in the fashion world.

If we try to look at a more optimistic side of everything, this situation might actually be good for certain people who have trouble getting hired or casted. They would have a bigger chance getting hired/casted if the fashion workforce was split into two.

^ I wish that McQueen and Stella etc would move back to London. I've always wondered if maybe PPR/The Gucci Group has something to do with it and they only want their brands shown in Milan and Paris.

that might be a big part of it.

Burberry could move their shows to London cause they're not owned by any conglomerate.

So can anyone make a resume of this crazyness? I don't understand anything ahahah!
So what will happen for SS 13? and FW 12? Milan shows will make during London and last day of NYFW?

^With all the fight going on for SS13, do you think it will affect in any way with the Fashion Weeks in FW12??

I'm so confused as to why Labor Day is even an issue here. I understand NYFW not wanting to budge on their agreement so saying it has to be the 13th - fair enough. But where did Labor Day come into it? Even if they moved it a whole week earlier it would start on the 6th, 3 days after Labor Day.

^ I'm assuming that some people like to take the whole week off and that's why it can't start on the 6th. I'm sratching my head over what else it could be.

I guess their argument is that a public holiday that close to Fashion Week would be more disruptive than one ten days before.

^ and also I forgot that there might not be enough time for the set up of all the venues.

New York blinked:

Diane von Furstenberg, the president of the Council of Fashion Designers of America, has proposed to Mario Boselli - president of Milan's governing fashion body, the Camera Nazionale della Moda Italiana - that New York "bite the bullet" next year and move its dates earlier, in exchange for a formal agreement about 2013 and beyond.
---
Whilst Boselli is reportedly considering the offer, such a move wouldn't benefit London Fashion Week - the dates of which overlap with Milan in its entirety.

more

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's hope this agreement is actually a contract as opposed to a gentleman's agreement. The whole fact nobody can prove either way whether the current agreement was just three years or permanent made the previous agreement a total nonsense, particularly when each fashion week has their commercial interests.

^Whether or not they could move the dates wasn't the point. NY was sticking with an agreement of second Thursdays. This would have been the 1st time in three years they didn't have to have fashion week during Labor day week which I'm sure all the NY designers were looking forward to. By moving it they are making a very generous gesture. Let's see if the childish Italian council can compromise.

poor London. still screwed over no matter what. and there's nothing they can do since the Olympics are happening and if anything venues would rather give to the Olympics than to fashion week, I'm sure.

It is a shame, but I hope more people do go out there, because of the Olympics, although it probably won't happen

Remember a few years ago when Anna was trying to shorten European fashion weeks because of the weak dollar? Milan was shrunken to 4 days (not everybody gave in though, I think Armani closed and showed after those 4 days) , but Paris didn't budge - they had an 8-day fashion week and everybody stayed. Smaller Italian houses like Byblos complained that they had to show when all the major buyers had already left.
I few pages back in one of the posts there's sort of an explanation why this delay affects Milan so much, it's something about them not being able to meet supply demands. Whatever reasons they have, it seems this time around they are standing up for themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianapalm
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->