Eurasian Beauties

I think Olivia Munn is adorable - she's part Japanese and part something else (not sure). She's a TV Host.

[from beyondhollywood.com]

Clumping the Indians, pakistinians, and all the other "middle eastern" groups with Eastern Asians is like separated nothern Africans from southern Africans; it's ridiculous. They are completely different. I also hate it when people separate Egypt, Morroco, Algeria, and Libya from Africa. It's stupid, and a lot of times racist. (But that is another story for another day.)

Btw, does anyone know if Sophie Marceau is Eurasian??? She's gorgeous!!!

S_017.jpg

google

She looks like she could be Eurasian.

Last edited by a moderator:
sexydaydreamer said:
Clumping the Indians, pakistinians, and all the other "middle eastern" groups with Eastern Asians is like separated nothern Africans from southern Africans; it's ridiculous. They are completely different. I also hate it when people separate Egypt, Morroco, Algeria, and Libya from Africa. It's stupid, and a lot of times racist. (But that is another story for another day.)

Well, do you want to clump or not? ^_^

If you want to divide by continents, Asia is Asia, Africa is Africa.

If you want to go by culture, do get your facts straight before you cry racism: India/Pakistani culture is completely different from Middle Eastern culture. Which is, as you say, completely different from Japanese and Korean East Asian culture.
The Maghreb countries like Morocco use Arabic and have a Mediterranean/Islamic/Arab culture, and along with their Napoleonic invasions and Spanish influences, make them, again, completely different from southern and central African cultures. Countries situated between cultures, like Turkey, are bound to be a mix.

You either go with the contintents and stick with it, or discuss the cultures knowledgeably. It's got nothing to do with racism. :flower:

Eurasian is a confusing term to begin with, and rather outdated...:huh:

Ummmm it seems the whole thread is based on the premise that "Eurasian" means only a MIX of Europeans and Asians - which is wrong. A Eurasian is ANYONE from either Europe OR Asia (or a mix).

So Claudia is just as Eurasian as any half Brit-half Japanese. There ya go,,,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurasia

Ungaro Kitty said:
Ummmm it seems the whole thread is based on the premise that "Eurasian" means only a MIX of Europeans and Asians - which is wrong. A Eurasian is ANYONE from either Europe OR Asia (or a mix).

So Claudia is just as Eurasian as any half Brit-half Japanese. There ya go,,,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurasia

That's right, thank you Ungaro! :flower:
I always wondered why this thread was separate from the biracial/mixed thread anyway...:innocent:
Some people are making very unenlightened comments on both threads, it's ridiculous.

A large percentage of Arabs and North Africans are fair-skinned, blonde, blue-eyed Caucasians.

Many Russians are indistinguishable from the Japanese.

Race is not contingent upon continents or countries, period. :rolleyes:

Melisande said:
That's right, thank you Ungaro! :flower:
I always wondered why this thread was separate from the biracial/mixed thread anyway...:innocent:
Some people are making very unenlightened comments on both threads, it's ridiculous.

A large percentage of Arabs and North Africans are fair-skinned, blonde, blue-eyed Caucasians.

Many Russians are indistinguishable from the Japanese.

Race is not contingent upon continents or countries, period. :rolleyes:

What you are saying is not what I was trying to say. I'm not trying to say Europeans and Asians are the same people, just that people have been using the word Eurasian wrong.

For example, a "Russian" who is indistinguishable from a Japanese person, is not ethnically a Russian person. They might be from those tribes out east. They might have Russian citizenship but this is different from being ethnically Russian. And in most of Europe that is how people think about nationality.

And I don't believe your large percentage of Arabs are blonde. Maybe a few. I have heard about the Bedouins, but that's about it. The rest that are blonde are probably mixed from the years of French, etc. colonization.

:flower:

Hey Ungaro, thanks for your response!

Ungaro Kitty said:
What you are saying is not what I was trying to say. I'm not trying to say Europeans and Asians are the same people, just that people have been using the word Eurasian wrong.

Oh wait, what you are saying that I was saying...is not what I was saying either :P! I think we were saying the same thing.:flower:

Just one thing though...I don't know my Russian history far back enough to know exactly how/when the ethnicities have mixed, so I won't go into that, but how do we define "ethnically Russian"? I know what you're saying and am almost tempted to agree in certain cases...but I still think it's potentially very dangerous to associate countries with ethnicities or "races" and dismiss other groups as mere "citizens"...I mean, look at the US. Nations are very modern constructs in human history, throughout which borders have been changing and people migrating.

I do stand by what I say about the Arabs...the ethnic mix goes much further back than French colonization...especially the Mediterranean countries like Lebanon, Syria, etc. (as opposed to the Gulf countries) lie at the juncture between Europe, Asia and Africa, and their ethnic mix reflects that. They've been part of the Roman Empire, mixed with the Crusaders, the Spanish, the Ottoman Empire...way before the British and the French colonization...and actually, I wouldn't be exaggerating when I say that half the Arabs I know (I know very very many, mostly from the northwestern side though :flower: ) are naturally very fair skinned with light brown hair, obviously so-called Caucasian. I'm just saying that it is a common misconception.

Anyway...I wouldn't have delved into this if it was off topic, but as it were, I'm questioning the topic itself. I still wonder why this topic is separate from the "biracial/mixed models" thread.
Unless we can define this thread, perhaps mods would like to merge them?

Melisande said:
I do stand by what I say about the Arabs...the ethnic mix goes much further back than French colonization...especially the Mediterranean countries like Lebanon, Syria, etc. (as opposed to the Gulf countries) lie at the juncture between Europe, Asia and Africa, and their ethnic mix reflects that. They've been part of the Roman Empire, mixed with the Crusaders, the Spanish, the Ottoman Empire...way before the British and the French colonization...and actually, I wouldn't be exaggerating when I say that half the Arabs I know (I know very very many, mostly from the northwestern side though :flower: ) are naturally very fair skinned with light brown hair, obviously so-called Caucasian. I'm just saying that it is a common misconception.

When you think about it, one could even say that it's part of one culture from a single area...the Mediterranean. The culture and ethnicities are so similar whereas they politically divided into three different continents...that's why countries like Turkey and Cyprus are having a hard time... :( Anyway, enough about that! :P

I think you guys are arguing semantics... :innocent:

Eur·a·sian [ yoo ráyzh'n, yoo ráysh'n ]

noun (plural Eur·a·sians)Definition: somebody of European and Asian descent: somebody of both European and Asian descent

adjective Definition: 1. of Europe and Asia: relating to the land mass consisting of the continents of Europe and Asia

2. of European and Asian descent: being of both European and Asian descent

Oh, also - i read somewhere that the term came into "popular" usage during British colonization of India, and was at that time used to refer to someone born of British/Indian descent.

Just a useless tidbit. I find etymology interesting.

And who could forget, one of the most notorious eurasian models of all: Michelle Leslie/Michelle Lee

20050908-025928-3493.jpg

photocredit: http://www.metimes.com

She is Australian/Filipino

(sorry if this has been posted, I did search the thread but nothing came up)

With reference to the poster who said Nina B was half Chinese half Russian and to the poster who said Juliana Imai was half Japanese half Brasilian -this doesn't make sense. Brasilian and Russian aren't ethnicities. You can be pure Japanese and be Brasilian -there are a lot of Japanese in Brasil. You can be Chinese and live in Russia -the more east you go in Russia, the more Chinese people look. There were a lot of orientals in Moscow and St Petersburg even though they are west. These people are Russian for many many many generations.

nanker_phledge said:
Maybe you shouldn't study actually.
I'm Lebanese. Lebanon is in Asia (Hello geography ! The Middle-East of what ? Of Asia !).
Asian names ? What the hell does that mean ?
God, people are so stupid sometimes.

Agreed! Very stupid.

Maggie Q (Quigley)

She's Polish-Irish and Vietnamese. She's also an actress and is in the new Mission Impossible movie.

maggieq.net

SiennaInLondon said:
With reference to the poster who said Nina B was half Chinese half Russian and to the poster who said Juliana Imai was half Japanese half Brasilian -this doesn't make sense. Brasilian and Russian aren't ethnicities. You can be pure Japanese and be Brasilian -there are a lot of Japanese in Brasil. You can be Chinese and live in Russia -the more east you go in Russia, the more Chinese people look. There were a lot of orientals in Moscow and St Petersburg even though they are west. These people are Russian for many many many generations.

I can speak on Nina - it's not that it doesn't make sense, it just doesn't clearly indicate her ethnicity. I think the reason it is often left at simply "Russian" is because they left Russia (for Israel) because of Communist oppression (against Jews). Nina was born in Israel - another melting pot.

SiennaInLondon said:

Thank you Sienna, I'm glad someone finally sees what I'm talking about! :rolleyes: Same goes for American, Australian, whatever.

The Time article on the previous page actually called Devon Aoki a "concoction"...:blink:

Anyway sorry to harp on it but would someone please merge the two threads and call it "multiethnic" or "multiracial" models to at least minimize confusion and argument? :flower:

Edit: Oh, Hi again Bleu! :P I see what you mean about Nina, I think it makes sense if we're discussing her parents' nationalities...but I think Sienna is saying it doesnt make sense to call her Eurasian...what this thread is about, as it were...because like you say, she's a) from Israel, and b)her parents' nationalities say little about her ethnicity. Complex.

BaroqueRockstar said:
Not quite eurasian but Naomi!!!
ethnically, she's half chinese and half jamaican
I think she's only 1/8 (or mayber 1/4) Chinese.

My first post--obviously haven't figured out how to format a url from an image hosting site so that it shows up as a thumbnail, but this is a wonderful topic and one I wanted to add to. The ethnicity of the model/actress in question either their website of one devoted to them. This doesn't include a few of the most obvious ones, like Keanu Reeves and the Tilly sisters (Meg and Jennifer)

Jaymee Ong—listed as Chinese/Causasian
jaymeeong0013qy.jpg

jaymeeong0025rk.jpg

From www.hapas.com/people/

Kelly Hu—listed as Chinese/English

kellyhu0014hf.jpg

From www.kellyhu.net/gallery/

China Chow--listed as Chinese/English on father's side, Japanese/German on mother's side

chinachow0011xh.jpg

chinachow0039ey.jpg

From www.aahceleb.com/ pic/chinachow

Yasmeen Ghauri Her mother is Pakistani, her father is German.

yasmeeng0016sp.jpg

yasmeeng0020wg.jpg

From www.yasmeen-ghauri.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"