The Truth About The "Return Of The Supermodel"

i believe this season belongs to the supermodels! even the regular models getting the big campaigns do have a similarity to the supermodels...think Isabelli,

Think Lara, think Natasha....I want more new supers :P

I think the case is that 90ies supers are kind of celebrities and are able to sell magazines whereas supers like Isabeli (I love her) and Lara are more just fashion models. Unfortunately, it seems that fashion industry is looking for someone who is linked to the fashion and can qualify as a celebrity as well... I think the interest of the society towards the supermodels like Claudia, Cindy, Naomi, Kate, Christy, Linda. Stephanie, Eva, Helena, Carla (Ms. Sarkozy;-)) is still quite high... though Helena and Cindy are not doing as well as their other colleagues...

Last edited by a moderator:
The Times Online
Not bad for just a coathanger: the rise and rise of the supermodel

Dorian-Leigh360_367407a.jpg

Lucy Bannerman

Before Agyness, there was Kate. Before that, there were Linda, Naomi, Claudia and Christy. And even before that, there was a parade of impossibly glamorous precedents, each claiming to have a beauty - and modelling career - superior to all their peers.
Who was, though, the world's first supermodel? For many, it was Dorian Leigh, the Texan star of Revlon's Fire and Ice campaign of the Fifties, who died this week, aged 91.
Until Leigh, names were rarely put to the faces that adorned magazine covers. “Leigh was different because she was the first one to have a label, to be known by a name,” said David Bailey, the photographer.
The world's first professional mannequin is generally regarded as Marie Vernet Worth, a Parisian shopgirl who modelled clothes in the 1850s to help her fashion designer husband, Charles Frederick Worth.

A century later, sensing that this might be thought an enviable career, agent Clyde Dessner used the term “super-model” in his 1948 manual, So You Want to Be a Model? But it was the power of Leigh's image to seduce consumers, and not least her audacious $1-a-minute rate, that helped to secure the future of the supermodel.
Leigh was not the only contender to the couture queen crown.
Lisa Fonssagrives, a Swedish dancer who once claimed to be “just a good coat hanger”, is considered by many in the fashion industry to be the world's first great model.
From the Thirties to the Fifties, she featured in most of the main magazines, including Town & Country, Life, Vanity Fair and Time. Her appearance on more than 200 Vogue covers also helped to boost the magazine's power to make or break modelling careers.
It was not until Lesley Hornby stuck on a pair of false eyelashes in the Sixties that the next generation of supermodels was born. Hornby also broke through to that particular stratum of fame where only one name is needed, in her case Twiggy.
The following decade was all about the Studio 54 glamour of Jerry Hall, Iman, Gia Carangi and Christie Brinkley, although their catwalk colleague Janice Dickinson would frequently claim the title of the first supermodel. Tellingly, the source of this claim is Janice Dickinson.
The gold standard was set by the “Big Five”: Claudia Schiffer, Naomi Campbell, Christy Turlington, Cindy Crawford and Linda Evangelista. They were the first supermodels to be officially recognised as such by the fashion industry and their status was so secure they might as well have had kitemarks stamped on their bodies.
According to Schiffer, Gisele Bündchen is the only one of the current crop of supermodels whose charms earn her the right to the title. In Britain Kate Moss reigns supreme as the camera's favourite subject, but younger contenders such as Lily Cole and Agyness Deyn are snapping at her stylish heels.
The fashion photographer Barry Lategan believes that what makes these particular models super is the fact that they have managed to defy the fashion industry's notoriously short attention span. “They rose to the top because, unlike racing car drivers or jockeys, their success depended on the approval of others - the fashion editors, the photographers. The length of the career depends totally on how long they are accepted by the industry,” he said. “They triumphed in an industry that is obsessed with that ubiquitous adjective - new.”
So, who will be next?

I didn't want to start a new thread on this issue. so this is the most similar thread i could find to say my opinion.

i'm getting really tired this "Return of the Supermodel" thing. I don't mind the supermodels, and its nice to see them once in a while. But these days it feels like these supers are everywhere! Linda on the cover of vogue italia twice this year. The article in Vanity Fair. Christy on the cover of V numerous times. The last straw was seeing Stephanie S on the cover of Numero today. :doh:

Why are they featured so often? Why not new girls? Why aren't we working on making girls like Daria W and Angela Lindvall into supermodels?

The supers remind me of the 90's and 80's. I don't want to think about those times. I want to move forward and have new fresh faces modeling clothes.

gosh, their time is up. :innocent:

Well, I think every client has realized the supermodels were a Frankstein fantasy. Perhaps what they want now is the appeal of a supermodel, combined with the mentality of a sane, hard-working (business) woman. However, the only models with the supermodel appeal are the ones who used to be those supermodels. Honestly I don't mind their resurgence, but I agree with everyone that it would be nice if models such as Lara, Stam, Isabeli and Daria were granted the same opportunities as the Supers when they started out. It takes time and loyalty (!) to build something like this. But it's much more refreshing than choosing Linda or Kate, that's easy because they already are what they are.. it took them years. Once the current Topmodels are able to reach a wider audience and become recognized names outside of fashion, the possibilities are endless. Doutzen is or was well on her way I think, but she could step it up. Maybe she should do a Pepsi commercial.. :innocent:

Well I think they deliver it better.

I don't know maybe I am totally biased but for me seeing Christy is something totally different and significant then seeing some East European models who look like clones...

I think Daria and Angela are amazing models and I think they are everywhere as well... especially Angela who is in the bussiness for such a long time....

as for your critics, dont forget DANKS with Helena Christensen on the cover saying NO No No... maybe this is kind of trend of the moment...

Honestly, the "return of the supermodel" has been going on and on for ages now. this season seems to truly represent "the return to THOSE supermodels of the past" because as we can see, all of the campaigns have gone to Claudia, Eva, Naomi, Linda, Christy, etc. they're getting SO much work again.

however, when are some new girls gonna get the chance to become a Super? they have to bring something NEW to the table, and have a fierce personality to go with it.

Look at Aggy -- she's the only model in recent times to actually becomefamous. she's a celebrity. and it's because she's tapped into this particular time in fashion, in culture. the whole American Apparel, hipster, scenester crazyness. she embodies it AND gets to be on the cover of Vogue. plus, she's got a bit of an outrageous personality, so that definitely helps. if she stays consistent and is able to allow her image to evolve with fashion and not die when this whole trend dies, then she may well one day become iconic.

Doutzen is glorious and gorgeous and incredibly sexy. but she's just too bloody boring to capture the public's attention in any real way. unless she starts dating a moviestar or something, she'll find her status to be something like Adriana Lima's. huuuge fan following, hot on the men's lists, etc. but not a Super.

Heidi Klum just co-hosted The Emmy Awards. that's a HUGE deal. right from the moment she came on the scene, she was immediately a mass-market Supermodel. and she's parlayed that into tremendous success outside the fashion world. she's not very controversial, but she's got an incredibly vibrant personality and was always hosting things and guest appearing on tv shows, etc. building her brand.

the particular moment of supermodeldom in the 1990s was unique because all of these girls were famous and they were all friends with each other and partied with each other. they were photographed in clubs or at events all around the world, truly basking in the attention. loving it. relishing it. using it to build their celebrity status, all the while working their ***es off with campaigns, editorials and runway shows.

who are the top models of today? Isabeli? Raquel? Natasha? Daria? Lily?

where are they in the public? it's already too late for them. they're too established to make an impact at this point.

Exactly with 0 publicisty you are not going to be a supermodel...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->