Expiration Dates - When to keep and when to toss old makeup ?

xaotica

Reaction score
Do you follow makeup expiration dates?

I know intellectually that there's a time period past which you're supposed to throw makeup out.. I think it's 3 months for mascara, for example, unless you want to risk eye infection. Yet I never follow that. I have great difficulty tossing makeup, especially if it was expensive. I'll only toss it if it's visibly problematic.. mascara that clumps really badly, nail polish that has separated and doesn't re-mix, or lipstick that smells bad.

Last year I was in a local weekly for music-related stuff and had my first experience with a professional makeup artist. When he started doing my makeup, I was shocked to see how old his makeup was. I assumed that if makeup was your job, you would follow all those approximate expiration date guidelines.. but the mascara he was using on me was clearly very old. It smelled bad, it was all clumped together, and it generally looked nasty.

So I'm curious how you guys handle this.. do you pay attention to when you bought something and discard it on a regular schedule? Or do you only get rid of stuff when it smells bad?

I know that something could have gone bad and it might not be immediately apparent, but I don't know anyone who's ever gotten an infection from old makeup or had a bad reaction to it.. so I may be deluding myself :wink:

i actually never pay attention to expiry dates. chances are, i'll use it up before it goes bad, or i wont use it at all and it will be thrown out.

star said:
i actually never pay attention to expiry dates. chances are, i'll use it up before it goes bad, or i wont use it at all and it will be thrown out.

Yeah I'm the same.
I do wonder if expiration dates are there so the manufactures can cover themselves...

I have the same issues.
But I have gotten an eye infection before from old mascara, and now I learnt my lesson

I have two clear plastic shoe box sized containers, and a regular makeup bag full of cosmetics... I clearly have a problem throwing things away. However, I do keep my brushes, and makeup pads fresh, otherwise I have noticed that I'm more prone to break outs

yeah i'm the same- i'll use mine before i need to throw it out...

I heard ages ago that a good foundation should last a year... I just looked at mine and went " a year?? No way!" hehe

my mascara is getting pretty old actually........ i really should throw it out lol

foundation i dont use if i think its gone bad but i have used old foundation on me..... The newer the foundation though, the better colours it will be..

I'm a make-up artist and i use new products in clients except eye shadows- cos they last till they're finished..

but your make-up artist should have used new products.... its sounds a bit wrong

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone tell me when mascara expires? I'm worried about getting an eye infection now.Thank you :flower:

The time for mascara is usually 3 months but there are some tips that you can follow for making it last longer.
Never pump up and down the wand in the tube, this makes the air come inside and that is precisely what will make the mascara go nasty. If there is excess in the wand, remove it with some paper tissue. Try to never share your mascara.
Allways smell it before using it. Nasty mascara smells bad. Urghhh! :P

But don´t get too obsessive about the lasting of the products because just by observing the texture and smelling it you can pretty much take notice when there is something wrong.
But beware that some foundations, for example, are still ok and sometimes they look "non mixed" and that´s just because they were unmoved for sometime and they tend to get depposit. :wink:

What is the expiration date for eyeshadow? I use some that I've had for probably 5 years...ahaha kind of gross, but I don't share my make-up so maybe that makes it last longer?

I heard that keeping your makeup in a cool area can also prolong the "life" of the product.

I know I've had some makeup for a while... I know that once I see an discoloration or change in texture w/ eyeshadow to toss it... but usually my makeup doesn't get to that point, thankfully. :smile:

the thing i dont get is when it says use with in 18 months how the hell im surposed to know when i bought it.

I do stick to dates tho with make up espesially masscara i get a new one every 3 months like your surposed to. Any skin care product or anything going on my skin or near my eyes i follow use by dates on. But I dont with hair products :blush

I have extra extra sensitive skin so i dont want to risk it, also i read an article on it and its so gross all the germs then you put them on your face !!!
I never ever share make either !!

Can someone tell me when mascara expires? I'm worried about getting an eye infection now.Thank you :flower:

they recomend you change it every 3 months !!

thanks for that,I do chuck mascara's out around that time anyway,that's if I haven't used them up

I've never followed them so I guess I'll keep on not following them..:D

I am only very strict with my mascara...will chuck them out after 3 months..or when it smells funny, whichever is earlier.

As for the rest of my makeup items, I will keep using them until they start to smell funny...

I throw away anything that starts to make its presence known through scent. And if I get a feeling about mascara, I toss it.. but I've kept some dry powder eyeshadow from the late 1970s... :smile:

Mk's Beauty Shop said:
lol seriously from the 70's?? thats so cool!

Yes, it's actually a great, very slightly shimmered soft fawn brown eyeshadow pan from Elizabeth Arden, from like one of my first makeup purchases ever. It was in a palette that was like a huge dark red compact and snapped shut.. had shadows, glosses etc.

I used the shadow a lot in the early years and it's still about half full (to be honest it's been ages since I've used it... showing no signs of deteriorating.. I may test on my hand... I think it's mainly powdered rock and what, mineral oil? This thing may be around for geologic ages).

I figured they 'accidentally' may have formulated it too well, since it never ran out. In years going forward, eyeshadows seemed to disappear faster. (Maybe I was slathering it on as I moved into my latter teens though, who knows.) :innocent:

Edited to add: you know, family photos aside, I think that's actually the oldest thing I own (that I bought back whenever). (I certainly have nothing else I know of from the 1970s!) :P

i dont and its totally gross! a well maybes when i have more money i will or maybe not i think its just sheer laziness!:innocent:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rare
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->