Fashion And Religion

Meg

inspired contemplation
Reaction score
I'm doing a CE essay on Fashion and religion (i still haven't narrowed down what my thesis will be exactly, why do designers use religion in their works, or whatever) but I'm looking for collections that have used a lot of religious symbolism or made comments on religion. For example I know i think it was last year a/w there was a designer who had a lot of bur'qas (sp?) in his collection and made comments on world peace and stuff but I can't remember his name. Also their are designers like Imitation of Christ, obviously, who directly have something to do with religion in their name. Anyway any ideas of collections/designers I could look at? I wasn't really sure where to post this topic but here seemed to be the closest to what I was looking for. Thanks!

hey there......check out Versace autumn winter 1997
and also Versace autumn winter 1991

i gathered a few pics together from a book i have......hope this helps.... :flower:

teh sophia koksalki(sp?0 collection sued some crosses for the spring 2002

alexander mcqueen uses them alot

the spring 03 galliano collection uses hindu imagrie

All Miguel Adrover's collections have influences of Arabic design or streetwear, still I would not go as far as labeling this "religious" . Kaftans seem more 'ethnic' than religious, Prada and gucci did those too.

In contrary, hussein chalayan and even late '80s London scene star rifat ozbec, included 'burga' style haid pieces in their catwalks. Chalayan made news with this collection ( could be 3 years ago? no idea)
vivienne tam is also capitalisting heavilly on buddistic images, Gaultier in orange refferences to eastern religion.

the most amazing religious 'looks' are the ones in african tribes and those of the ultra orthodox religious jews.
scull caps, muslim caps, popular yin ang yang inspired motifs burgas, christian nun head dresses, rasta dreadlocks and rastfari bracelets, popular rosery 'beads' also worn as belt tricks,
are some of the main -real life- religious 'accessories' .

:flower:

John Galliano for his Spring/Summer '01 collection used Christ as a direct inspiration:
100020636.jpg

100020635.jpg

thanks to everyone for all their help, especially that article you posted sean. Mucho appreciated.

if i remember correctly, Cavalli has been blamed for his hindu-inspired underwear by the hindu community.

Versace retired a t-shirt with the sentence "the devil made me do it" because in Italy some girls had been murdered by satanists.

thanks all, although I already wrote the article the topic is still quite interesting

Dolce and Gabbana has been using Catholic references for years, there was one collection that was inspired partially by priests, another that had the Madonna embroidered and painted onto clothes and of course, the use rosary beads as necklaces all the time.

Does anybody remember Chanel using a fragment of Coran in their dress (Claudia Schiffer wore it I think) and after protests of their clients Karl had to burn the dress? I can't recall which year it happened.

And of course there is Arkadius who made a lot of Maria "inspired" dresses.

Esther / madonna?
or maybe she doesnt qualify as fashion influence anymore?

hehehehe

Originally posted by nqth@Jul 10 2004, 12:24 PM
Does anybody remember Chanel using a fragment of Coran in their dress (Claudia Schiffer wore it I think) and after protests of their clients Karl had to burn the dress? I can't recall which year it happened.
[snapback]310435[/snapback]​

:unsure: i dont recall Coran in Chanel

Imitation of Christ has really nothing to do with religion. The name came about because all they do is "resurrect" the clothes (rework vintage clothes into something new), sort of like Jesus got resurrected.

If you are looking for something that is not directly related to religion but on religious education, there was a belgian designer (now out of business) by the name of Lieve Van Gorp, on whom belgian catholic school education made a big impact and who constantly referenced it. I don't know if you'll find much online though. Scott might help you, he is an expert on belgian design.

Originally posted by nqth@Jul 10 2004, 07:24 AM

And of course there is Arkadius who made a lot of Maria "inspired" dresses.
[snapback]310435[/snapback]​

I remember Chanel doing this - it was quite a long time ago & well before any recent terrorist incidents - it did cause outrage amoungst all the couture clients (who are mostly rich arabs wives who are muslim). I remember thinking it was pretty stupid of KL at the time (but then he isn't one to take the path of least resistance). I also remember thinking the actual clothes were horrible.

Originally posted by faust@Jul 16 2004, 10:58 AM
Imitation of Christ has really nothing to do with religion. The name came about because all they do is "resurrect" the clothes (rework vintage clothes into something new), sort of like Jesus got resurrected.

If you are looking for something that is not directly related to religion but on religious education, there was a belgian designer (now out of business) by the name of Lieve Van Gorp, on whom belgian catholic school education made a big impact and who constantly referenced it. I don't know if you'll find much online though. Scott might help you, he is an expert on belgian design.
[snapback]311781[/snapback]​

And there was that eclesiastical collections from AF Vandevorst(A/W 2001). Priest's and Nun's robes,school uniforms,rosary beads as belts or drapes across the garmet. I don't know if it really had anything directly to do with religion or just mere fascination with the dress of Catholics.

Oh...and wasn't Alexander McQueen's previous menswear collection inspired by Orthodox Jews?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DC80
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->