Fashion Gets Political

Tom Ford F/W 2018
'P*ssy Power' Natalia Bag and Shoes.

Tom+Ford+Fall+2018+Details+f1X70KO_Bnnl.jpg
Tom+Ford+Fall+2018+4UhqeQRtDUDl.jpg

There was a very clear political message at Calvin Klein S/S 18' with a clear inspiration from the midwest. I think it was maybe a directional of the voters who elected trump? I don't know if that's just my perspective.

Calvin+Klein+Spring+2018+6bjGFPgQ7dkl.jpg
Calvin+Klein+Spring+2018+wDnRBFYzUuql.jpg

Livingly.com

Vetement waded into the brexit conversation and their standpoint on the UK leaving Europe was a clear message in a number of sweaters they produced (retailing at £1100 :rolleyes:).

Lyst.com

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^ You’re definitely reading way too much into Raf’s CK offering.

Raf’s CK was more Warhol’s Americana but with a severe (and painfully contrived) minimalist’s aesthetic. Some of it worked and I actually like it and I like the campaign shoots by Willy. I don’t see any slagging of middle-America at all. (Which would be extremely pompous and in such poor taste of ridiculing the working-class and their values. America is not just NYC, LA and Chicago…)

Fashion as a whole generally are rather bluntly idealistic and straightforwardly naive when they go political. Hence those embarrassing “We Should All Be Feminists” Dior tees. I mean, yes— of course "we should all be feminists”; but when you’re paying for a designer’s slogan, you tend to loose any credibility politically and come across as a vapid fashion victim of the worst kind: Why not DIY if you really want to make such a statement…???

^ Helen Mirren recently wore an outfit (in her thread) with a feminist slogan theme, and she didn't come across as vapid to me ... anything but, I thought it was great.

But I take your point. My slogan/political Ts have come either from campaigns or Etsy (my DIY :wink:). And I did immediately wonder who would buy the p*ssy power bag. Nonetheless, I completely understand why designers would want to put a statement on the runway. It's certainly what I would do in their shoes, though mine might be a little different ...

I need to find a pic of the 'More glitter less twitter' top ...

huffingtonpost

Ashish ...

Attachments

• stronger.jpg
    stronger.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 5
  • more glitter.jpg
    more glitter.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 4
  • nasty.jpg
    nasty.jpg
    403.8 KB · Views: 4
  • no colour.jpg
    no colour.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 3
Ha! "More Glitter Less Twitter" is wicked. Now get a Hanes tee and a Sharpie and DIY!

Was Helen wearing that wretched Dior tee...? If she was, I'd dismiss her with the same contempt I'd dismiss anyone else wearing it: It's really the context of wearing an expensive designer slogan tee that's a farce to the cause, and spits in the face of such a statement. (Unless Dior was giving these tees out for free.)

^ No, she wasn't wearing the T ... go take a look at her thread & find out, it's well worth a visit :P

I'm not sure that a high price invalidates a message. This Ashish stuff isn't cheap, but the messages are sincere and real.

my first and continued reaction to the p*ssy power bag is to question the choice to put a GIANT buckle in the middle which all but obscures the message...

i mean...
really>?

*cowardly a**hole...
just in it for the clicks...

i'm all for DIY-
but loads of people aren't, i guess and selling t shirts is a quick and easy way to make money for a campaign or cause so i guess that's cool...
people love t-shirts...
personally, i don't wear many t shirts (except to sleep in)...

i'm sort of shocked that there isn't more stuff like this on the runways...
but i think people have figured out other ways to express their opinions and their outrage...
*like calling congress*
or having fundraisers or using social media to speak out...

i kind of agree that it's a bit incongruous and flippant to wear a shirt like this...
but i think it's good to see it on the runway, cause that will get media coverage...as will the message...

* i saw a big giant guy with red hair and a beard wearing a shirt that said "we should all be feminists" and i CANNOT tell you how freaking happy that made me...
i asked him if i could take a pic!...

:P

story:
i have been working with a graphic designer who i think does really fun, pop kind of work...
and she keeps designing t shirt graphics...
and i'm like- why not just DIY? and- don't you think there are enough t shirts out there already?

and she's like- i can't , my writing is bad...
:doh:...
she won't even make a sign by hand...
she would rather do it on the computer and print it out...

go figure...
so, i've loosened up my opinion on that a bit...
but i do find that anything DIY is more impactful...
you don't get your pic in the paper carrying a printed sign or wearing a logo t shirt...

on the other hand, if you are famous and getting your pic taken anyway, it's easy to just grab a t and throw it on...
that seems like a good way to get a message to your followers about what you believe in...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->