Fashion Illustration/Sketching/Drawing : Tools, Croquis, Templates & Books

If you need fast results and dont have time to take a class, and can't really find your own style straight away (you can concentrate on this when you're on the course). Then look on the internet for fashion drawings that you like, that have style that appeal to you, and you can use the rough figure to draw from to create your own style, it will help with proportions and such-like if you're not too great at them yet, and then you should be able to draw your own designs on to the shape. Just think about the drape of the clothes on the figure and that should get you a good fashion drawing.

^ those are good points. once you've sketched out your fashion figures you can photocopy them, and experiment w/ coloring in the fabric etc... the photocopier AND photoshop are your friend. ;P

^those are all very good recommendations!
my advice for the act of drawing is too draw very quickly, often the first impression of an outfit is the best. maybe even try not to look at the paper when drawing .... just make a pile of these on unexpensive paper so you get the feel ... then you can always work with your favourites as travolta nd fab suggested....

^ good advice. i usually have to go through several quick sketches before i get one i like. i think the memory of your hand, and tapping into the feeling of the drawing strokes - if that makes any sense - is just as important as your eyes...

Wow! Great help everyone.

I actually just came away from it for a day and detressed myself. Then I looked up stuff on the net and actully there a million on-line how to draw manga websites. The basics are a great help and with all your help I'm fairly confident.

Go here: http://d538518.u320.bigcrawler.com/FigureDrawing/figure.htm and really start focusing on this page on beyond: http://d538518.u320.bigcrawler.com/FigureDrawing/38.htm It's amazing what this man can do to a stick figure.

I think if anything you would need to learn some anatomy and flow with a pencil first. Anatomy is very important, you need to know how the bones and muscles look to understand how clothes will cling to or hang off them. I'm obsessive about form. An easy way to get practice woul dbe to print out some fashion ads from www.bwgreyscale.com and then draw the skeleton within the flesh. Draw a lot of nudes too, there is no shortage of them online.

Of course, all this is useless without the actual application, so draw your *** off, as much as you can, just to get familiar with the pencil. I find a lot of people focus on the tip of the pencil and not where it's going.

If you haven't done it before, you're going to suck. But we all do at first, it just takes practice. I suggest you put away what you have already drawn now, then practice, practice, practice. Then in a few months when you think you still suck, pull them out again and compare. And remember that you are your own harshest critic, so get over it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had my nterview yesterday :D

I'll know by tomorrow! My drawings are fine... and I actually had a few photoshoots with my friends, boyfriend and sister. The pictures are hilarious, they're so cool! I'm really happy.

It's got me really interesting in art direction and styling, something like that. How does sone become art directer/stylist?? What qualifications are needed?

I hope you get the outcome you want Venus :wink: sounds like you're pretty positive about it.

This is a thread with Q and A on how to become a stylist...

http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10408

As far as art directors concerned I'm unsure if there is any major information on that here, but if I come across anything about it I'll be sure to pm you the link and post it here. I did a search for 'art director' in this section and came out with these results...threads for you to peruse at your own leisure, the 'fashion schools' thread would probably be of most use. :flower:

http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/search.php?searchid=695538

I went through the threads on this forum where people posted their fashion illustrations. I printed out the pictures and sorted them in what I considered newbie to pro order of how good the pictures were. (Remember fashion drawing is technical, you are not just drawing a nice picture, you are trying to show detail of the piece. The ultimate goal if you are trying to work for another company or have your own company with a patternmaker is that the patternmaker should be able to produce a pattern from your sketch that is very very close to what you visualized the final piece looking. So when I sorted them I didn't look at the actual good/bad drawing skills, I looked at whether or not I could completely visualize the final garments or if I still had questions)

Okay anyway so after I sorted them I started with the least detailed drawings and copied them over and over until I got them right. Then I went onto the next one. Until I got to the pro ones. Then I took pictures from some fashion magazines and tried drawing the pictures. I filled a whole notebook. THEN I started working on my own drawings. By going through other people's drawings I started to be able to point out to myself what things made the sketch work and what didn't.

That was the only way I could do it because I felt that I had no drawing skills and so going through those steps helped me. It might not work for you but I thought I'd share incase it did.

welcome to tfs rockitgirl :flower: that sounds like a very concise way around something...I'm glad it worked for you :wink:

That's how you do it. If you look at my drawings, you might see some real faint sketch marks, especially in the face area. I start out with stick figures and build mass from there.

Well for the first time I'm being taught how to do fashion illustrations on monday...so perhaps I'll have something to bring back here monday evening ^_^

Thanks a million guys... for my portfolio I just traced the outlines of models and drew the clothes on to them. You're help was really helpful. There's art classes and your not actully supposed to know as much as I though!

They will be teaching me but I think I'll try your ways, just to be sure.

:flower::flower::flower::flower:

(Legs are hard!)

Fashion Templates

Hi,

I was thinking about creating my own site, selling fashion figure templates, 10 fully drawn and traceable A3 and A4 templates. Do u think this might sell?

Thanks a mil

Me xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->