Fashion Illustration/Sketching/Drawing : Tools, Croquis, Templates & Books

i have taken many art classes, but the best work i have done was on my own time. If you go to an art supply store you can get a paper that is almost see through and just copy from magazines. It helps in developing shapes and contours, It also gives u a good feel for different body types and different positions. After a while you should be able to do this on your own. Hope i helped:smile:

I find drawing from live models with cloth draped around them is the best way to begin. This helps you establish proportions as well as how to work with perspective and foreshortening.

Draw people. Carry a sketchbook and when you can draw them. Gestural sketches tend to be more helpful then long and developed poses. Copying from a magazine can also be helpful, you learn what kind of lines can make certain shapes etc.

I came from a product design background and learning to draw technically in what is called "tight line" (extremely crisp clean lines) really allowed me to draw quicker and with more precision.

I would suggest learning to draw the traditional way before attempting fashion illustration, it will make it so much easier.

another very helpful thing is to take up watercolor painting. If you can take a class on it I would suggest it. Mediums such as markers and ink/watercolor are popular (it all depends on your style) and learning how to model with pigment rather than just line or value (traditional drawing) will make fashion illustration easier. Color pencils are also quite popular but I never really figured out how to use them properly.

I would focus on:
figure drawing (from life!)
drawing clothes from magazines
clean technical drawings
and painting with watercolor and markers

what you find to be the most helpful depends on your style and you may end up discarding all of this information.

A good book is "9 Heads". check it out at the libary (it costs around 80 dollars). It's a very good and easy introduction to fashion illustration but prior art experience will make it much easier. good luck.

thats some good advice that Mutterlein gave i couldnt have said it better myself.

Drawing & templates

I can't draw to save my life but I have loads of ideas for clothes that I want to save untill I get a new sewing machine.

I've never really used the sewing machine I had properly untill I became intrested in Fashion but as soon as it started getting some good use, it broke!

Like I said, I can't draw to save my life and it may be a few months untill I get my new sewing machine, I'll forget all the designs I have thought of!

My question is, do you think drawing is something that can be learnt?
Alot of people are telling me that I can't learn to draw, that it's like singing, it's a natural talent you've either got it or don't.
I was considering going to an art school but I can't afford it and there isn't one nearby so I was going to keep practicing and buy books on the type of drawing I'm looking to do (just quick sketches that look decent so I can understand my own drawings) but I'm not going to if it's true that drawing is a talent that can't be learnt.

I wouldn't know really, I can't say I've ever been intrested in drawing.

What do you's think?

learning to draw can certianly be learnt, yes theres a natural talent to it but it can still be learned to a degree.

there are alot of books that can be bought about illustrations and drawing clothes.

do you want to draw the clothes on models or more working drawings of your designs?

I'd think I want to draw them just on simply silhouette's for an idea of what the designs would look like on a body.
Rather than making clothes from a body-less design which I've found is a bit harder.

well i find both really helpful to do working drawings and illustrations on models but both are basically done the same way....

for both of them i create a template to draw clothes around/onto... these are easy to do but it did take me a while to perfect them because i tried my best to make them proportinal to a womans body.

but once you have made your template the hard part is over because after that all you have to do is put it under the paper your drawing on and use it as a guide.

i've included pictures but some arent very visible since i havent got around to finelining them yet:doh:

if they are too hard to see tell me and i'll try and rescan them:flower:

there are also some useful threads for inspiration

http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/f81/tfs-fashion-illustrations-19231.html

http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/f90/drawing-perfect-fashion-sketch-29274.html

and im sure there was a thread on templates somewhere:ermm:

Attachments

• aP1010259.jpg
    aP1010259.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 40
Last edited by a moderator:
So do you mean, make my perfect template and then use that for all my sketches?

Or have I totally gone off track of what you've said? haha :P

Thanks for the links to those threads, I love seeing all the different styles of sketching people have

make a template and go for it! i actually have quite a few templates because i love all the different styles.

those are the ones that i did for uni because they went with the theme they gave me.

i mean you can still draw free hand but its easier to have a template to hand plus your drawing will be consistant, which is always good.

also i dont think you can see on the picture i posted but i put in the bust, waist, hip and knickerlines so you get the clothes in the right proportions which is always handy to have markers.

also i like to leave my templates bald so you can mix and match hair with the outfits your drawing.

hope that helps:flower:

Thanks so much! You helped alot.
And I guess from having my template onwards, practice makes perfect :P

As E.I.R says...drawing can certainely be learnt to a degree, regardless of what people say. I mean those people who can draw really well when they're adults haven't always been able to draw that well...it develops over time with practise, yes they may have been above average in drawing skills to begin with but it's practise that really improves drawings...all you can do really is draw as much as possible.
In general:
visit art galleries and take a sketchbook and just sketch, look at line quality, tone, the shapes within what you're drawing.
Go and sit in cafes or train stations and sketch people around you,
get yourself to a begginers lifedrawing class...it's important that you understand the human form.

Then from there you should find illustrating much easier...good luck.

Mutterlein said:
I find drawing from live models with cloth draped around them is the best way to begin. This helps you establish proportions as well as how to work with perspective and foreshortening.

Draw people. Carry a sketchbook and when you can draw them. Gestural sketches tend to be more helpful then long and developed poses. Copying from a magazine can also be helpful, you learn what kind of lines can make certain shapes etc.

I came from a product design background and learning to draw technically in what is called "tight line" (extremely crisp clean lines) really allowed me to draw quicker and with more precision.

I would suggest learning to draw the traditional way before attempting fashion illustration, it will make it so much easier.

another very helpful thing is to take up watercolor painting. If you can take a class on it I would suggest it. Mediums such as markers and ink/watercolor are popular (it all depends on your style) and learning how to model with pigment rather than just line or value (traditional drawing) will make fashion illustration easier. Color pencils are also quite popular but I never really figured out how to use them properly.

I would focus on:
figure drawing (from life!)
drawing clothes from magazines
clean technical drawings
and painting with watercolor and markers

what you find to be the most helpful depends on your style and you may end up discarding all of this information.

A good book is "9 Heads". check it out at the libary (it costs around 80 dollars). It's a very good and easy introduction to fashion illustration but prior art experience will make it much easier. good luck.

Thanks for the tips :flower: Very informative

Avant Garde said:
:woot: Great websites, karma. Are the loomis books out of print? They look old fashioned, but very good

VERY much out of print. You might find some on ebay. Check out Drawing the Figure (or something like that) by Jack Hamm. I think the paperback is like $8 and it's available at Borders or where ever.

fourboltmain said:
VERY much out of print. You might find some on ebay. Check out Drawing the Figure (or something like that) by Jack Hamm. I think the paperback is like $8 and it's available at Borders or where ever.

Thanks again ^_^

thank u for this thread..i also have the same porblem as emily..i love designing but cant seem to draw it right like the designers themselves:S and i love to pare stuff ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->