Fashion Illustration/Sketching/Drawing : Tools, Croquis, Templates & Books

fashion drawing how to?

hi i have begun to teach myself to draw fashion images, im not the worst artist in the world but far from great , i have bought a few books on illustrating fashion which are quite good but do not explain everything please culd someone tell me:

after learning about proportion and the fashion plate do people still draw outlines of figures and then draw the clothes on? or is the figure drawing just to get you used to it?

do you draw the clothes sraight away? kind of the same question but i cant think of how to put it.

anyhelp would be great thanks.

i would suggest just drawing, a lot, and your own personal style will develop. I had the same situation, just experimenting and playing around, drawing and it finally came.

of course a figure drawing class helps as well.

whenever I do my fashion sketches they usually end up looking semi-cartoonish. (I use to do manga art), but if your going to do all digital sketches I would invest in a tablet for your computer, I bought one, I still like traditionally drawing over it though.

Sometimes if its a quick sketch I'll only draw the clothing it self though.

Mutterlein & Annabel: Thanks for the advice and link to the upcoming guide respectively. :flower:

When it comes to drawing, I have my good days and really bad days. There would be a period of time where I'm drawing fashion sketches really well (in my opinion) and then other days where I'm just not nailing down the proportions or the pose. I've got numerous fashion sketching books but a video instruction might set me in the right track.

Sometimes I psych myself out by drawing too many croquis and then I can't think straight on how the clothing should hang. Sounds weird but I'm still working on it.

annabel_lee said:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1563673649/qid=1140411168/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-0082579-2841702?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

this book should be coming out later in the year ... i think july...saw an early copy...it's amazing. it has a real-time instruction cd/dvd as well...

it's all you need for everything fashion illustration...it even has how to have your own website and such...

Thanks for the heads up! It sounds cool, but is only fashion illustrating on the computer?

haha..your sketches arent bad..they are pretty good XD
and there arent such things like perfect sketch..@_@
but i guess what makes a drawing better than the other is the proportion and the style(which is bias towards the person looking at it)

lots of pratice..

Last edited by a moderator:
Need Sketch Help

I'm the type of Designer that doesn't like sketches much because they take a long time to do and are hard to do. It's not that I can't draw it's just its hard for me to draw the female/male bases (Body). I find it easy if someone can share their bases with me so that it can help me in my sketches. I would like a bit of detail without being p*rn*gr*ph*c. Lol. Please help. Thank You. :flower:

Hi! I don't think that there's any general rule to that. Do what works out best. Also there are so many styles and techniques which you can use that all have different approaches. You could even draw something completely different than clothes or models to suggest your ideas.

Well in terms of layout sheets....sheets of garment designs; for each project I will style some fashion figures to 'fit' the look I"m going for...and all of them will have no clothes...then I'll put a sheet of layout over the top and draw as if I was drawing straight onto them....clothes first and then I draw over the hands feet/legs faces...so that you don't have the messy rubbed out body outline.

my tutors (howard tanguy and julie verhoeven -w00t name dropping rules!) recomended that we use no smaller than a2 size paper i think it was something like 8b pencil (does that make sense) they also really like us to use messy media - oh and dont spend too much time on one pose

^Wow, having such people as teachers sounds really cool. I would so like to meet Julie Verhoeven and ask a few things about drawing ^_^ In which school do you study?

Anyway, the topic is a bit out of my area because I try rather illustrating the general "feel" of current fashion seasons like colours, forms, patterns and so..

I would listen to VICTIM, he's been very helpful to me, and made me tried new media :woot:

hi :smile: i'm new here, but i thought i'd chime in and give you a few recommendations. i'm a fashion design major at FIT, so a lot of what i do is sketching. like some other folks here have said, work on your figure drawing. it's so important to understand how the body moves in order to sketch more elongated, stylized fashion drawings. once you have the basic figure down, try stretching it out a little from 8 heads to 10 heads. also, remember that your style is your style. if you like longer legs, draw your croquis with longer legs. if you like smaller heads, do it. there really is no right or wrong as long as it looks good. just practice! it took me a while to get my sketching to where it is.

you can also use the work under technique, where you put a good croquis you've perfected under a sheet of paper and draw the design on top, so you don't get so hung up on whether or not you're figure is right (because you know it is!).

as for supplies, bienfang marker paper is amazing. it's great for rendering on. i don't use much pencil, unless it's for details and then i use prismacolor pencils. the markers i use are usually chartpak, they're wetter and richer. and for outlines i just use drawing pens... nothing special.

if you need to know anything else, feel free to ask! :smile:

I have drawn quite a lot on paper but dont know how to use photoshop to do anything to it. I'm sort of stuck because I've got all these sketches and photoshop but dont know what to do next.

any ideas please on how to use photoshop for my sketches?? thankssssss

photoshop is a great tool for sketches... you can make great layout pages or even render within photoshop which is what i do a lot. the easiest way is to do line drawings (make sure all of your lines connect also, it will make it easier to fill and to add textures) and scan them into photoshop. use the magic wand tool to select whole, enclosed areas and you can either paste textures into this area or use the paint bucket to fill. dodge and burn can help with shading also. these are just some basic ideas to get you started :smile:

i like to draw the body first, and then sculpt the clothes around it...most of the time i won't even have an idea of what i'm going to design. it just happens as i draw :smile:

with a fashion illustration why have 10 heads? why be so technical measuring? its such an old way of thinking, does anyone else find when someone draws like this the image looks a little stiff - be more free!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->